Hi there!

I've been playing a cheap acoustic guitar (50$) for about 3 months now because i wanted to start learning to play guitar, and ever since i got it i've been playing almost every day and i don't see myself quitting. THEREFOR i'm considering getting a decent electric guitar (300-500$ish including amp) since I'd might aswell get some earcandy while practicing.

My newbie skills and taste: I can play Nirvana - Come as you are, Wake me up when september ends, the barred chords are still a pain for my hand though so the sound comes out wrong sometimes and Wherever you will go. I can play most chords except some barred chords. I like Hard Rock and Metal, hence the interest for an Electric guitar.

SO HERES THE QUESTION: Is getting a decent electric guitar after only 3 months of practice the most idiotic thing ever? - if not, please give me some advices about which guitar and amplifier to pick (from what I've read Modeling Amplifiers seems like a good thing).

Thank you!
Yes, it's a perfectly good idea. Three months is plenty. Get an Agile guitar and a cheap tube amp or if you can't stretch that far, a Peavey Vypyr and NOT a Marshall MG or Line 6 Spider.

That's what the bandwagonistas here will say. And to be honest, they're right.
a pretty basic, and good idea, is to get a mexican made fender dont bother with squier, but a strat or tele, depending on what you like more.

yeah, and get a cheap tube amp (craigslist?). it will save you a lot of frustration later on
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
Quote by HelpMeImHungry
a pretty basic, and good idea, is to get a mexican made fender dont bother with squier, but a strat or tele, depending on what you like more.

yeah, and get a cheap tube amp (craigslist?). it will save you a lot of frustration later on

yeah dont listen to this guy.

Beginners shouldn't worry about waiting for the tubes to warm up, or worrying about tubes blowing, SS amps are much more practical for beginners.

Squier makes awesome guitars, don't chose a fender over a squier cause it's a fender.

My squier plays amazing, and sounds great, and I play it quite alot (not more than the Mustang though..). I like it quite a bit more than all the H1 strats/tele's I've played. (about 10)

MIM Standards are good, but I'd suggest you take a good look at some of the squiers (Jagmaster, Duo-Sonic, Classic Vibe Tele, and a few others)....the jagmaster and duo-sonic go for about 250 (or they did when I bought my jagmaster in july), and I think the tele goes for about 275-300$.

for the amp, I'd suggest one of the Roland Cubes (which ever model fits your budget)....if your set on a modeling amp, sounded pretty good when I played an epi lp standard, and my jagmaster through it.
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Dec 7, 2008,
whoa thanks for the quick answers

SS or modeling amp - the reason why i'm thinking about the modeling amp is because (from what i've read) it offers a wide variety of tones and effects, but if SS offers whats necessary thats good enough, i'm just not planning on getting any pedals/stuff like that.

And second, "a strat or tele, depending on what you like more." Well i dunno, whats the difference? pros/cons?
I would say buy used. Get a decent sized amp. Like go to a pawn shop and spend like 10-200 on a guitar amp and a guitar too. It's cool to get a nice amp because you can always jam when you want with other people without seeming like your equiptment IS crap lmao.
I've been looking around and this Ibanez RGR321EX seems pretty sweet to me, so what do you think? Now i just need an amplifier, any suggestions on which one for around 100$ ?
Quote by Deciphor
I've been looking around and this Ibanez RGR321EX seems pretty sweet to me, so what do you think? Now i just need an amplifier, any suggestions on which one for around 100$ ?

watch craigslist. i really like peavey amps.
For an inexpensive practice amp, I would recomend a Roland Micro Cube. As for the guitar go try out as many as their are in your price range, and see which one feels and sounds good to you. Everybody likes diffrent things about guitars. You need to see what you like. But like i said, you will not go wrong with a Roland Micro Cube for your first amp.
Quote by Deciphor

Ibanez ~$300 range guitars are pretty good for what you pay for them. My RG2EX1 has done me well, and I'm almost ready to move on after a year and a half. However, the RG321 is made from better wood and is a great choice for beginners. Plus, the neck is very easy to navigate.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
yes you should invest in a new guitar if your sure you will continue.
i wont get into any specifices, but there has allready been some good suggestions.
in short, what many will say is: get the best you can afford at the time. this means it will last(satisfy) you for longer.

good luck with your guitar playing journey
for the guitar, if you want something metal looking, BC Rich Revenge Warlock, i`ve played one acouple times, for a cheaper guitar it`s really nice, good action, easy neck to play, the finish on the body is nice and it also has body binding. and the B.D.S.M pickups have more gain then other low end pickups i`ve heard.

For the amp, i might get shot for this, but the Marshall MG30 is decent, it has some effects built in, 2 channels that are swichable with a foot switch, 3 band EQ, 10" speaker, it`s no REAL Marshall but for a newbi starting out, it`s alright, and your buddys will be like OMG you have a Marshall LOL.

I have a MG10KK i like it, does what i want it to do.

in total that BCR and Marshall will be around $600. pretty good since i have more then that just in my guitar alone.

but try out guitars and amps b4 you buy, and try not to go on names or looks completely. i just recommened what i`ve played b4
^Lol...Marshall MG

No. Bad.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Guitar....

http://www.rondomusic.com/ps1000.html Sexy

Or any Al-3000/3100
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss10.html

And a Roland Microcube

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLMICROCUBE

Setup that will last you for years to come...

I own an Agile, and I love playing it.. I play it more than my guitars that cost over 3 times as much.

And I got the Microcube as a starter amp, and while I do have better sounding amps, its portable ans small, that I still use it quite a bit. It sits beside the couch, and runs on batterys (comes with a cord to though) so there is NO setup time.
Quote by Deciphor

Yep, that's a verynice guitar, made of decent woods and stuff

As for an amp, roland micro cube
an Humbucker - Single - Single style Made in Mexico Fender, or an Agile with a Peavey Vypyr is the best you can get, imo.

Whatever you do, don't get an Epiphone Special II/Epiphone PLayers Pack.

I had to get one because of my low budget + not knowing of this forum at the time.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.