I know a ton of people in my school who indiscriminately practice Classical Music for guitar/piano it seems like they don't even want to play anything else? Why is this? Does it develop better musical phrasing/techniques/etc? Also I'd like to try some well known classical pieces, please recommend some I could play for guitar.
some well known pieces are Bachs prelude from the first cello suite in Gmaj. Also check out the villa lobos preludes.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
because they like classical music? :s

learning songs never hurts, and it definitely would improve technique. though the best way to develop phrasing, in my opinion, is improvising.
if you only play other people's stuff, you don't develop your creativity.

^ why not the lute suites? they were especially made for guitar.
Classical music is a method which allows one to take any given melody, and apply all possible variations of said melody. Counterpoint, heterophony, polyphony, chord structure, diminution, augmentation, etc.. It really comes incredibly in handy as far as composing goes. Fugal concepts, especially, tend to come in handy when composing accompaniments.

Regarding playing it, I've heard it's really good for technique, but I've never really played it. It seems to me like a lot of people just learn a lot of complex pieces by rote, but never really understand what they're playing. This, I say, is bull****. Otherwise, it can really help with discipline and feeling. For classical with incredible feeling, check out Glenn Gould's "Goldberg Variations". Yes I know he's a pianist, but it's the greatest classical recording of all time. Truly mind-opening ****.
Quote by coffeeguy9
Bouree by Bach. Learn it. theres a good tab on this site for it by yours truly.

agreed
i didnt realise it was you who wrote the tab though
cheers for that, im chuffed i can play ot now haha
Classical music itself is said to open parts of your brain that arent normally active during everyday usage. I learn it because i do enjoy classical music, i want to gain its feeling, passion, its softness and its touch, thats why i learn it.

It does also offer new styles, such as trends in music that have been forgotten - you can re-learn and put to good use.

Technique also, because ovbiously it was composed without guitar naturally in mind, your forced to reinvent your fingering and thinking.
Quote by Anthony1991
Classical music itself is said to open parts of your brain that arent normally active during everyday usage.

it's true. classical music does do that. and everything you do everyday too : D
Quote by yingyangthang
Cause classical music is ****ing sweet. Shostakovich 5

Enough said

Except for Mahler 1 (sp)

+100
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I play both jazz and classical as my main styles. I play classical because everything is based around perfection and playing each piece exactly how it is written. However, I don't think I could put up with playing classical alone, so I am also an avid jazz player where everything can be up to the way you would like to interpret it and improvise.
Quote by yingyangthang
Cause classical music is ****ing sweet. Shostakovich 5

Enough said

Except for Mahler 1 (sp)

Absolutely! Never play stuff you don't like just because you hope it will improve your technique. You've got to want to play the song for itself. If, as a side effect you improve your chops and add some stuff to your bag of tricks, great, but the first thought has to be "I love that song. I want to be able to play it".
Classical Music has some of the most complex and beautifully composed pieces, I think it's a must to learn Classical. Everything is written in the staff, that's why there's no room for improvisation
Jazz is the contrary, everything is base of improvisation unlike classical. That's why it's also good to learn Jazz.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Quote by rockinrider55
I play classical because everything is based around perfection and playing each piece exactly how it is written.

That's not true. Some classical players are judged on how they interpret pieces. No one plays everything exactly how it is written. If that were true why would there be multiple recordings of different pieces by various players/groups? Classical music is up to as much personal interpretation as any other music.
12 fret fury
Quote by amd123
I know a ton of people in my school who indiscriminately practice Classical Music for guitar/piano it seems like they don't even want to play anything else? Why is this? Does it develop better musical phrasing/techniques/etc? Also I'd like to try some well known classical pieces, please recommend some I could play for guitar.

The best reason to practice/ play classical music, is because you like it. if you haven't got to that point yet, spend some time listening to classical music and learn to appreciate it. Then you will truly get something out of it.

If you're learning it strictly for the purpose of "getting better", you're really missing out on the big picture.
If you enjoy what you're doing, you will get better, and that includes phrasing/ techniques/ect.

Do some research and get familiar with the well-known classical pieces, and then decide for yourself which one you want to tackle.

Taking classical guitar lessons may be beneficial to you as well. if you have a good attitude, you will likely learn to appreciate the music and gain all of the benefits that come with practicing the music.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 7, 2008,