Okay so I'm looking to record my band but we don't have much money as we are only teenagers. We've looked at studios in our area and they're all pretty expensive. Plus we kind of all have a DIY mindset. So I was wondering exactly what this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-?sku=700498 thing right here does. From my understanding you can play through it onto ProTools and edit it there. So would this be a good thing for recording Vocals, Bass, Guitar and Drums or should I should I get something like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fostex-MR-8mkII-8-Track-Digital-Recorder-103729851-i1125873.gc
If you guys know anything else that would be good for decent quality recordings of a whole band please tell me (it has to be somewhere in the 200-300 dollars price range
I'm not quite sure so help is appreciated

Thanks
2-300 bucks isn't going to be enough to get the drum set to sound amazing. no matter what.

What gear do you already have? Mics? Stands? Cables?

I would go with an interface over the fostex. Editing is a pain on those things. With Software is much easier to see what you are doing.

With the mbox your going to be stuck using protools and thats it. not that its a bad thing, just thought you should know.
Agreed. The M-Box alone will probably blow your budget. One decent mic for kick drum will cost you $200 if you go used. (thinking Sennheiser e602, EV RE-20, etc.)

With that budget, I would go with someone who runs a home studio. I typically quote 2 six-hour days at a cost of about $150/day for a good three song demo.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
... and knowing how to do it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.