I've seen many people ask what songs they should play to strengthen their fingers, learn to play faster, learn Hammer-ons/Pull-offs etc etc
I've only been playing for 1-2 months, but the way I see it, technique exercices are what makes you better ... playing songs over and over just makes you much better at that particular song, it doesn't improve your overall abilities sooo much
I practice unbelievably boring exercices every single day, but hell yeah, I'm getting better by the hour
Can an experienced player advise/comment ? Thank you
You're absolutely right. Becoming a good player is about discipline. Songs may be more interesting, but won't ultimately suffice.
I agree, disciplined exercises help, no matter how good a player you are, but i do think you should learn some songs so you can put your techniques to practise and so you dont get bored with just exercises
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
thats right.. play exercises for 50% or 70% of the time.. then use the last of the time to make riffs or learn to play songs.. just doing something that is actually musical... because most exercises are not very musical, as they are just random notes.. or chromatic..
If you only play Smells Like Teen Spirit, you won't become Paul Waggoner.

But exercises are boring, so I started playing songs I liked and techniques came after that.
ಠ_ಠ
Ive never done exercises since like my 2nd month of playing, i did to start with because real songs were to hard to play. But now scales arent a part of my playing, i hate scales.

I play other peoples songs, my own, and improvise. All of these cover all i need.

And like someone else said, songs themselves cover technique and scales anyway whether you know it or not.

And ultimately, just because you can play scales and have good technique that doesnt make you a great player. Just having that makes you great technique wise, but your sound will still be numb because it has no feeling.
Also if you are somewhat a rock / metal player; you should NOT! practice everything with a big amount of distortion.. as it may sound pretty good, it actullay sucks.. you become much better if you find a tone for your guitar that is very little distorted.. so that you can hear all syncronising mistakes (because you can't with alot of distortion), if you find a tone that sounds almost bad when you are playing a very clean tone, you will adapt to make the tone sound alot better..
Thnx for your answers!
Yes ofc, after I've done all my exercices I run Guitar Pro and practice/play some songs/riffs. There is no point in getting ultra-good if I'm not gonna use it
A question about improvising: I just chose a scale and play random notes on it using all boxes ? And eventually I'm gonna figure out sth good/fun/interesting ?
Quote by Roopelatvalafan
Also if you are somewhat a rock / metal player; you should NOT! practice everything with a big amount of distortion.. as it may sound pretty good, it actullay sucks.. you become much better if you find a tone for your guitar that is very little distorted.. so that you can hear all syncronising mistakes (because you can't with alot of distortion), if you find a tone that sounds almost bad when you are playing a very clean tone, you will adapt to make the tone sound alot better..

Depends what you're practising. Pinched harmonics and legato both benefit from distorted practise tone for different reasons.
3 thing ... remember there is something called techine and something else called musically tone.. there are alot of players which have exelent techine.. but their way of using it musicaly sucks.. so you should try to get both..
i play for the fun, not just to get good and be OMG im the fastest shredder OMG

i just like playing some covers with my band and my brother
I've only been playing two years, but from my experience a healthy mix is needed. Learning tabs keeps you interested in guitar playing and makes you great at parties, but doing various training exercises gives you the biggest end rewards.

I made the mistake of only focusing on learning theory, scales and complicated techniques. Of course that's very important, but I really wish I'd spent more time learning tab to build my song repertoire.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT