Page 1 of 2
I was in GC yesterday piddling around in the basses and out of all the basses no matter the price, I liked the tone of this one best:

Squier Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass

It just sounded so in your face.

So tell me, what is actually the difference in lets say that bass and this one
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-Streamer-Stage-II-4String-Bass?sku=519123

?

Just the name or the ability to say LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A WARWICK BASS!
Quality.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
there is much better wood and hardware pick ups electronics and quality control in the warwick,but the brand name is also added to the price
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Thing is, do you NEED a warwick? Or is it just the thing of owning something nice. Like guitars you can definitely tell the difference between a cheap and a more expensive guitar, but basses it seems like it doesn't affect it as much.
you get what you pay for with basses, as with most things.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by Schecter1277
Thing is, do you NEED a warwick? Or is it just the thing of owning something nice. Like guitars you can definitely tell the difference between a cheap and a more expensive guitar, but basses it seems like it doesn't affect it as much.

You dont have much of an ear for tone do you? Tho i admit its much harder for me as a guitarist to hear the differences in basses.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by Schecter1277

when you have the money the money its a why not situationand like kaos fire said it sounds like you dont have much of an ear for tone, the tone on a warwick like that will be much nicer
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
when you have the money the money its a why not situationand like kaos fire said it sounds like you dont have much of an ear for tone, the tone on a warwick like that will be much nicer

Like Kaos fire says, I play guitar. I can't identify what is a "good tone" and a "bad tone" in a bass. Not knowing what one is looking for might be the problem. I was also playing through really nice amps.
There's definitely a difference, but it's more in build quality and materials, and there's definitely some price-boosting there because of the name. I'm not saying that I don't think the Warwick sounds better, but the correlation between price and tone is very poor.
Nope, no sig here.
Bass build qualities and tonal properties have as big of an effect as guitars' build qualities and tonal properties. I don't think there's any real price boosting on a Warwick. They're built to some of the top standards in the industry and have excellent tone and hardware as well. All of their instruments scream quality in every aspect.
Quote by Schecter1277
Like Kaos fire says, I play guitar. I can't identify what is a "good tone" and a "bad tone" in a bass. Not knowing what one is looking for might be the problem. I was also playing through really nice amps.

Yes the amp probably is the main reason you really liked the tone,but basses excel in diffrent ares just like guitars do so that also what seperates, but you probably know this already.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
I'd only get a Warwick if it was a fretless. They play nice with frets and all, but my Jazz works perfectly for me.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Oh yeah, the warwick is no better than that squier at all, it's ALL about the name on the headstock. Or am i forgetting the build quality, the fact that it's not made in korea by fingerless children, it's made in germany by skilled workmen, the superior construction techniques (neck thru), the more expensive, exotic and prettier woods, the better pickups, the preamp that makes it suck a versatile bass and the tone in general being much better?
But yeah, it's pretty much no better at all.
i agree, i love my vm modified squier liek so many people in this forum would say cuz i never shutted up about it b4 i got my fender, i do agree with everyone else who says brand name, but im a cosmetic freak and i need a pretty pretty bass, and the warwick might be built better, but im not sure, im not war-wick-head, i may have plucked at one once or twice, nothin memorable...i think?

so just w/e one you liek more.....oh, i just checked the price tag on the the warwick FRIK, YOU ONE RICH MOFO!
Try adding more delay.
Quote by Schecter1277

Do we need them? No, but it would be damn nice to have them even if it's not to practical to most of us. They are one of the best sounding and playing basses money can buy.

The VM is a great instrument for it's price though, but it ain't gonna compare to $2000 + basses.

Lets face it, the comparison you made for these two basses is like comparing a Ford Ranger to a Roles Royce.
Quote by Schecter1277
So, what are the tonal properties of a "good" bass? What am I looking for?

It's pretty subjective. Is there one amazing holy grail tone on guitar that everyone tries to achieve? I hope not because that would be one boring ass instrument. I personally like a very clear tone, others like a more growly tone, biting tone, punchy tone etc. Different basses will have different elements of some of those or all of those or one of those or something completely different. It's not necessarily the type of tone as the quality of that tone. It's really difficult to explain.
My favourite tone right now if what my amp is giving me.

Jazz bass, pickups on full, tone on full. Played with a plectrum at the bridge.
BBE Optostomp fairly compressed, high output volume on here.
GEB7 with boosted Lows, low mids, cut high mids, boost the highs a little.
Ashdown MAG, input level set till im clipping the preamp stage a little, boosted low mids only on the EQ, deep switch in, sub harmonics in at 1/4er.
Ashdown 4x10 w/ tweeter.

Beefy, grindy, gritty and so awesome!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Budget basses are a hell of a lot better built than they used to be. That Squier will do perfectly well to learn on, and probably do well at low-level gigs for a few years. To be honest, if you only played a few gigs a year, it would benefit from better hardware and a good amp.
Premium basses are priced as they are because they are made in much smaller numbers, so the per-unit costs are higher. Their hardware is the best of everything, and hopefully they'll stand up to the rigours of the road, and the studio, for many years, without coming to pieces like a cheap toy!
Having said that, John Mayall uses Squier Strats these days, and Nic Oliveri smashes up MIM Precisions...
a streamer and a squire vm?

no contest.

but if it was the passive corvette.
THEN you've got a fair fight
Quote by 2112pk
a streamer and a squire vm?

no contest.

but if it was the passive corvette.
THEN you've got a fair fight

BS.

Warwicks are a love it or hate it thing. The Corvette will either poop all over the jazz, or if you don't like Warwicks, it will be a fair fight.

The corvette range is very good value considering the quality.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Schecter1277

Opposite for me.
Almost all guitars sound the same to me.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by gm jack
BS.

Warwicks are a love it or hate it thing. The Corvette will either poop all over the jazz, or if you don't like Warwicks, it will be a fair fight.

The corvette range is very good value considering the quality.

i'm talking the passive only-JUST-not-a-rockbass corvete

i've personaly been debating beween this two basses, of to be honest the classic vibe 50s p-bass.

the corevette knocked be over with high quality tone and playability.
but that was KINDA the problem.
it was TOO high quality, to perfect.
didnt seem to lend itself to any situatuation when i'd prefure a more humble, flawed tone. still loved it though

but that's just me.
Quote by 2112pk

i've personaly been debating beween this two basses, of to be honest the classic vibe 50s p-bass.

didnt seem to lend itself to any situatuation when i'd prefure a more humble, flawed tone. still loved it though

but that's just me.

What you are talking about. If you are going to criticize any instrument for being too good, then you have knocked out damn near every bass over $1000 that isn't sold by Gibson.

If it is flawless, why not get it?

Quote by Woogles
Opposite for me. Almost all guitars sound the same to me.

Are you telling me you cannot tell the difference between the overdrive of a strat and a Les Paul?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by 2112pk

but that's just me.

if you need broken flawed tone, break a cheap cable, use it as an effect with A/B/Y switch.

or buy an SX, much cheaper and much more flawed. perfection is always the best place to start, for different people perfection means different things. for me, it means the bass can growl without too much background noise, has active electronics, has a wenge feeling neck, isn't too light, and has very solid lows and high mids.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
if you need broken flawed tone, break a cheap cable, use it as an effect with A/B/Y switch.

or buy an SX, much cheaper and much more flawed. perfection is always the best place to start, for different people perfection means different things. for me, it means the bass can growl without too much background noise, has active electronics, has a wenge feeling neck, isn't too light, and has very solid lows and high mids.

And that sums up a Warwick.

Pre 2000 ones had wenge necks, though the new ovangkol isn't too far away in the grand scheme of things. Or, you can get it as a custom option on a new bass.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
And that sums up a Warwick.

Pre 2000 ones had wenge necks, though the new ovangkol isn't too far away in the grand scheme of things. Or, you can get it as a custom option on a new bass.

exactly. all I need to sound perfect is a Warwick. or 2. or 3.

I'm turning into a Dewbie, uh oh.

but I do wish I had the dough to drop on a Warwick.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by gm jack
What you are talking about. If you are going to criticize any instrument for being too good, then you have knocked out damn near every bass over $1000 that isn't sold by Gibson.

If it is flawless, why not get it?

what i'm saying is the tone is to polished, it lacks charm.
it's typicaly german in that sense

also UG is queer and keeps freezing when i post
Quote by 2112pk
what i'm saying is the tone is to polished, it lacks charm.
it's typicaly german in that sense

also UG is queer and keeps freezing when i post

what charm?
the passive quality maybe, try passive instruments, maybe an American Fender.
or is it something else?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
what charm?
the passive quality maybe, try passive instruments, maybe an American Fender.
or is it something else?

you're asking me to explain charm?
really?
would you understand better if i said character?

ok, example.
which would you rather drink from, fine glassware of the highest order.
or a chipped mug you've known well?

this CAN'T just be an english thing.

(and for the record it was a pasive warwick)
Quote by 2112pk
you're asking me to explain charm?
really?
would you understand better if i said character?

ok, example.
which would you rather drink from, fine glassware of the highest order.
or a chipped mug you've known well?

this CAN'T just be an english thing.

(and for the record it was a pasive warwick)

I know charm. it's not an English thing. but really?

charm is a really old beat up bass, not a cheap new one. something that has a story to tell, besides how it was made in a factory, peered at by a bored Asian guy, slapped at by a 5 year old for 10 minutes, and bought by you.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
exactly. all I need to sound perfect is a Warwick. or 2. or 3.

I'm turning into a Dewbie, uh oh.

but I do wish I had the dough to drop on a Warwick.

Craigslist (or any used classifieds), man. Trust me, I'm speaking from personal experience. For some reason, Warwick basses tend to have relatively low resale value, so if you're patient and you keep your eyes open you can find some really great deals. In fact, the recession (depressing as it is) has resulted in some of the lowest bass prices I've ever seen on both the new and used markets (I missed picking up a Wenge-necked warwick Corvette FNA 5er with case for $300 on Craigslist by just over an hour). Damn depressing for the sellers , but great for anybody looking to buy used gear .

To TS: Does anyone really need a Warwick (or one of countless other high-end basses)? Probably not. Are there huge differences in tone/playability/versatility between a Warwick and a low to mid-range bass? Definitely. It all comes down to what you consider important/necessary in a bass. If you are most comfortable playing Squiers, then by all means play them (who gives a **** about what other people think). But if you are a tonefreak (as I am) or you feel much more comfortable playing on a Warwick neck (as I do), then it makes sense to own one. The ability to brag that you own X brand of bass is never a good reason to buy one.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I'd rather have a top quality employee than a cute, charming child work for me; it would cost more, but my endeavors, as a result, would be more productive
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by Beast_Within
Craigslist (or any used classifieds), man. Trust me, I'm speaking from personal experience. For some reason, Warwick basses tend to have relatively low resale value, so if you're patient and you keep your eyes open you can find some really great deals. In fact, the recession (depressing as it is) has resulted in some of the lowest bass prices I've ever seen on both the new and used markets (I missed picking up a Wenge-necked warwick Corvette FNA 5er with case for $300 on Craigslist by just over an hour). Damn depressing for the sellers , but great for anybody looking to buy used gear .

well, I'm gonna waste my next wad of money on an amp most likely.

then, I shall get my Warwick.

and on that second bit, +1. as much as it throws me off, play what feels best. look into Fender, it may be good for you too.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I know charm. it's not an English thing. but really?

charm is a really old beat up bass, not a cheap new one. something that has a story to tell, besides how it was made in a factory, peered at by a bored Asian guy, slapped at by a 5 year old for 10 minutes, and bought by you.

again.
i'm talking about the tone, not the actual insrament.

Quote by capslockisnton
I'd rather have a top quality employee than a cute, charming child work for me; it would cost more, but my endeavors, as a result, would be more productive

music isn't about production, it's about expression.

I'm talking about conveying emotions, not running a store.

putting efficiency before heart is pretty much what's wrong with EVERYTHING thee days.
that's why we have bad artists making album after album after album.
2112pk if you want the tone of a cheap bass, then buy one. But dont think that a cheap bass is more charming than an expensive one. that's a misled romantic view. The fact is that you get what you pay for. good quality bases last longer, sound better, play better, feel better... they ARE better!!
I'm not getting the German / English charm analogy here, but maybe its because I've only had a half a cup of coffee and its 5:57 AM.

Tone. Hmm. Tone is very important to most bass players. I care gads more about tone as a bass player than I ever did as a guitarist. True story. My husband was busking last week and someone came up and remarked on how nice his tone was (he's a drummer). He laughed and asked the guy if he played bass. Confused, the guy said yes. My husband just laughed again.

On the topic--always buy the best bass you can afford that meets your needs. If you can manage a warwick, then that would be the obviously choice here. The tone on Warwicks are rather nice and with the right setup, wonderful. Not my choice but in this case an obvious better choice for most.

And I don't think anyone was comparing efficiency before heart. But lets be frank here--most if not all of us play better through higher quality instruments. You are freed from having to work around a particular shortcoming in either build or tone and can really concentrate on making music and playing. I am not knocking anyone who doesn't have a 2000 USD bass; I am merely stating a fact.
ok this debate isn't doing anyone any good.

in short.
i loved the warwick, it was amazing.
but when i struck a chord it just sounded like three AMAZINGLY clear notes
i played the same on a MIM p-bass, it sounded like a chord, it's sounded HUGE.

needless to say that was the ONLY this ground the MIM had over the warwick.
even the squire was better

not that i'd buy a warwick even if i was certain, heavens no, it would be wasted on me.
but alas, i've rambled too long.
it's all just a matter of opinion.
I think those squiers are very well built basses, and i don't think i could ever justify spending however much that SSII is worth on a bass, but top end basses are more expensive for a reason.
Page 1 of 2