What's the general thinking about the time one should warm up tubes before going from standby to playing and then when done, how long on standby before turing off the amp?
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
I just give it a few minutes at the start to warm up, usually goto the toilet or something lol. As for before turning it off, i dont see that as very important so only a minute or so.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
I usually turn on then wait for my slow computer to start up, about three mins or so.
for tunring off only i only leave it 30secs and nothing bad has happened
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Power switch on

Few minutes time (2 or 3)

Turn standby switch off

Play

Standby switch on

Power switch off

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
you dont need to leave it on standby for a minute or two before it turns off
only when turning it on
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
I personally do it just for assurance really, and it's just a little habit.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Only 10 seconds or so. As long as I'm not planning on turning it to 11 the moment I flip it on, and the tubes are producing sound, nothing is wrong. Turning it off doesn't matter, you can unplug it from the wall if you'd like, doesn't make any difference.
Quote by madbomber233
Can someone tell me why you must do this?

To let the tubes warm up, else they will get (a) damaged or (b) not make any noise until they warm up.
Before you play so it can warm up before you put the guitar signal through the tubes, the higher the volume the more prone to damage they are. It does not however need to be on standby you can also simply have the volume of your guitar 'off' or not play.

And, only the time it takes to go from the amp my guitar and get it and then I start to play on low volume, after maybe a minute or so Im confident to turn it up.

but then, it depends on the amp, the ENGL is pretty sturdy and that does make one more lighthearted about handling it. Some other tube amps it takes me a minute to put on from my hands onto a solid floor because im afraid the tubes will break lol. esp when the amps are not mine.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by jcmoods
What's the purpose of leaving it on standby before you turn it off?

none really, other than it's in standby already next time you turn on, so you don't have to worry about accidentally turning on without its being in standby.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by madbomber233
Can someone tell me why you must do this?

you'll strip the electrons from the cathode of the tubes (something like that) if current hits them etc. before they're warmed up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?