Poll: Which is the best choice?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the best choice?
Ibanez ATK300
22 42%
ESP F-104
6 12%
Squier Vintage 60s Jazz bass
23 44%
Washburn BB4
1 2%
Voters: 52.
I've been playing my tanglewood starter jazz bass for around 3 years now, so for christmas i've decided to get meself a new bass.
I've been searching for a long time around local stores and I've narrowed it down to these 4:

Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass 60's:
Beautiful, plays nice, and I like jazz basses

Washburn BB4:
Looks different to the norm, but acctually pretty cool. Active pickups.

ESP Guitars LTD B-104 Electric Bass Guitar - Metallic Purple:
Now I don't know much about this, but it's Freakin' sparkly purple for gods sake!

Ibanez ATK300RM 4 String Bass Guitar:
A very nice looking bass, with a triple coil bridge pickup.

Now I've only tried the Squier, which was nice, but the store didn't have any of the others in stock. Now I don't really want to ask the store to order all three of them in, so I wondered what you at UG thought would be a good choice?
I know people ask questions like this all the time, but I would really apprieciate the help
Thanks in advance
links? and whats your price range?
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Last edited by tbirds1013 at Dec 7, 2008,
what kind of amp do you have?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Out of thoose I'd go for the squier cv jazz, but thats just because as of myself perfer jazz basses feel and tone.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
i would definatley get the atk, one of the most versatile basses on the market and sexy as ****
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
I would go for the ATK, also poll?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Definitely go with the Jazz, out of those. I have an F-104, and while it's nice for the price, I think you'll be happier with the jazz.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
id go fot the Ibanez ATK or the squire
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
i got the ATK300 and it is the legendary
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Out of those options, no doubt go for the ATK. For their price they play so well.
My price range is anything up to £300, and all those basses are a bit around that.
I've got a warwick blue Cab 30 watt amp, which isn't the best, but I can't afford to get a new one as well as a new bass haha
I will make a poll, as soon as i work out how haha

EDIT: There! haha
ty
Last edited by benonbass1 at Dec 8, 2008,
how about a musicman stingray sub?

you can get them for around 300.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
order in just the ATK.

play both.

decide from those. ESP's LTD is a waste of money, and Washburn, though certainly worth it's salt, is not as bangin for the buck in my opinion.

I voted CV.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
order in just the ATK.

play both.

decide from those. ESP's LTD is a waste of money, and Washburn, though certainly worth it's salt, is not as bangin for the buck in my opinion.

I voted CV.

Yeah that sounds like the way it's going. I may ask to look at the washburn too, but mainly because my friend never shuts up about active pickups haha!
Thanks
Quote by benonbass1
Yeah that sounds like the way it's going. I may ask to look at the washburn too, but mainly because my friend never shuts up about active pickups haha!
Thanks

the ATK is active.

and active is great, I love active, but it's not for everyone. I'm one of few blues lovers who prefers active electronics for almost everything.

even in metal and prog rock, you will get passive lovers.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
the ATK is active.

and active is great, I love active, but it's not for everyone. I'm one of few blues lovers who prefers active electronics for almost everything.

even in metal and prog rock, you will get passive lovers.

Well I play mostly rock and funky stuff, but I sing while playing too, so I like a nice sharp kick rather than a muddy indistinct throb. Although a do play a wide range so versatility is key. And if it's easy to play it makes multi-tasking so much easier
Ty
Quote by benonbass1
Well I play mostly rock and funky stuff, but I sing while playing too, so I like a nice sharp kick rather than a muddy indistinct throb. Although a do play a wide range so versatility is key. And if it's easy to play it makes multi-tasking so much easier
Ty

either of those are good for what you want, jazz basses, though passive, get a nice growl that will kick as you put it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Ive got a F104, if its the indonesian made one, its a great buy, mine felt better than a schector hell raiser, and sounded better. but if its a chinese made one, do not buy, the chinese ones have crap quality.(ive had both)
i would get the Atk, its got an amazing ash body, and frankly ash sounds amazing, bright clariity whilst retaining the deepness :P
the pickup on that sounds amazing as well.
Quote by benonbass1
Ty

That line isn't drawn so clearly between active and passive. Lots of people don't get the mids right on active basses and get booming, tonally bland bass. Passive pups without a preamp are usually just as articulate as those passive pups in an active bass unless the tone is set below half way. They don't sound the same, but they aren't inherently "muddy" and "indistinct" (well maybe certain neck position humbuckers )

Still, a decent active sounds more like what you want. I tried the atk and it was not quite as versitile as everyone says, but it is still a very dynamic instrument. Probably your best call... unless you want to be a real smart cookie and go used, then you could get quite a few more options for the same amount of cash.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
That line isn't drawn so clearly between active and passive. Lots of people don't get the mids right on active basses and get booming, tonally bland bass. Passive pups without a preamp are usually just as articulate as those passive pups in an active bass unless the tone is set below half way. They don't sound the same, but they aren't inherently "muddy" and "indistinct" (well maybe certain neck position humbuckers )

Still, a decent active sounds more like what you want. I tried the atk and it was not quite as versitile as everyone says, but it is still a very dynamic instrument. Probably your best call... unless you want to be a real smart cookie and go used, then you could get quite a few more options for the same amount of cash.

I have had a good look on ebay etc, but with little success. There were some, but none that i could really go and try, and I would never consider buying a bass without giving it a proper tryout beforehand.

And also I want to have somebody to fall back on incase something goes wrong. I'm having to trade in my old bass to get this one, so if it goes wrong, I'm stuffed!

Thanks
I went to try them both out, and in the end the Squier for me played and sounds so much better than the ATK300. It wasn't as versitile, but it plays brilliantly and is supersmooth. Also the Ibanez had a loads of rattle on the lower fretts, and had a really thick neck.
I tried the Washburn as well, but that was really heavy and rattled on basically every frett and sounded terrible anyway.

Thanks hugely for all you help!