Quote by Alijonroth
any performance tips??

Make sure you know your songs, don't drink beforehand thinking it's cool and enjoy it, it's an amazing feeling!

X
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
stage prescence is as important as your accuracy, just have fun with it
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
jump around hahaha, it's fun.

and if you are afraid of looking to the crowd just look to the wall, it's a cool thing called blind spot (at least that's how you call it in spanish) so people may think you are looking to them but you are looking to the wall

good luck
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
dont look stay in one place all the time

or waddle like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Inw_bpnHHQ

it starts about :35-40

that is what not to do!!!!!!
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by justlivin at Dec 7, 2008,
give a list or pick uf your equipment
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Play your heaviest guitars first, so you don't seem weighed down towards the end. Keep a couple bottles of water on top or close to your amp. Keep footswitches ready to go and stable with no messy cords, so they don't cut in and out. That's the main points. Anyway, good luck.
have fun on the stage..don't just stand there. Move arround, or just shake your head to the beat.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

what music are you playing? if it's anything like hard rock or metal, move around, maybe strike a pose or do some cool faces occasionally (instant crowd pleasers), maybe shout at the crowd to mosh. If it's indie, move around still maybe groove/alternative along a bit to the song while you're playing, or if push comes to shove and you're trying to concentrate on your playing more, move your head to the music and shoegaze!
thanks a lot guys :-)
i got the tracks done and ready...but i still get fears of screwing up some challenging bits...although im sure i get them right almost all the time but the nerves bit might shake me up a bit
any advice on how to overcome this?
and what extra stuff do i need to take with me,im planning a string change tomorrow and im taking a coupla spare sets of strings...and 4 or 5 picks
anything else i might need...beside water??
Be solid on your parts first of all, technique can tend to go out the window if your not careful live. Next, make sure your equipment is good to go. Keep an extra cable ready to go if you can. Lastly, just enjoy it. If you have fun, the audience will have fun too, and they will respond better (generally)

Best of Luck!
Quote by magnum1117
jump around hahaha, it's fun.

and if you are afraid of looking to the crowd just look to the wall, it's a cool thing called blind spot (at least that's how you call it in spanish) so people may think you are looking to them but you are looking to the wall

good luck

i like this :P but hopefully i would not have to use it...i dont think i have audience fright,at least i think so!
Stay relaxed and loose, and try to pump up the crowd because without them, you probably wouldn't be there am I right? The more excited they are the better you feel about it and the more they enjoy the show. Make some gestures that follow along with the song/lyrics but make sure they aren't stupid (Metal claws are brutal especially if you are the vocalist). Timely headbanging/windmilling as a band is always a plus.

Good luck man, it's all for fun.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
in my opinion stage moves are a must
i do the slash thing sometimes hahaha, but because my guitar is like a V at the back i can do that haha.

i treat jam sessions like it's an actual gig i face whoevers watching and move around alot hahaha i can't help but do stage moves it feels so god damn good
put the strings on and break them in pronto. also, you may just want to carry around a few extra high e, b and g strings rather than a whole set of strings, that way if you do in fact break one changing will go a little smoother. extra cables are great, make sure all of yours work beforehand (patch cables too), if you're running a tube amp make sure your tubes are working, maybe carry and extra power tube or two and possibly a fuse. make sure extra picks are in an easily accessable location (like taped to a mic stand or ontop of your amp). other than that, have fun!
Quote by RG_FANMAN
what music are you playing? if it's anything like hard rock or metal, move around, maybe strike a pose or do some cool faces occasionally (instant crowd pleasers), maybe shout at the crowd to mosh. If it's indie, move around still maybe groove/alternative along a bit to the song while you're playing, or if push comes to shove and you're trying to concentrate on your playing more, move your head to the music and shoegaze!

its gonna be a Rock/Metal show....so i guess i'll strike a pose or something :P maybe a bi of this and that!
Quote by RG_FANMAN
put the strings on and break them in pronto. also, you may just want to carry around a few extra high e, b and g strings rather than a whole set of strings, that way if you do in fact break one changing will go a little smoother. extra cables are great, make sure all of yours work beforehand (patch cables too), if you're running a tube amp make sure your tubes are working, maybe carry and extra power tube or two and possibly a fuse. make sure extra picks are in an easily accessable location (like taped to a mic stand or ontop of your amp). other than that, have fun!

thanks dude...im gonna do the few extra spare e b and g thing cuz i only break the e when i do
and taping the picks to the mic stand!

im just afraid of tensing up mid-song and screwing up things....i played these tracks a hundred times and more but..i dunno,how can i NOT get nervous,i dont at the studio but u never know when ur up there right?
dont overthink it! overpractice is fine, but if you think bout ur playing ull suck
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
You could try exaggerating hand motions. Like when you're doing a huge bend raise the guitar.
It was my first gig yesterday and I was lead guitar, before you jump around and stuff, make sure you can nail it pretty well. If you commit a mistake and it can happen to everyone, ommit it and keep playing, keep flowing with the song. I've seen many guitarists re-play what they did wrong and screw up the beat. Most important and sorry if I sound like a dick but.....have fun. =D
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
^how so, performing is an important part of guitar.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
are you going to have a quick sound check beforehand? if not, do, because nothing sucks more than going to a concert and all you can hear is the drummer. make sure the audience can hear your band's vocals well enough too. get a friend who knows how a band is supposed to sound, and while playing, get him or her to wander around the venue and tell you what volume changes you need to make, or any eq changes for that matter. if you sound better, the audience will appreciate you more, i promise.

if you are using pedals with batteries, make sure the batteries are all brand new.

also, it might be cool to get a friend to videotape your show, you know, so when youre famous you have a visual record of your first gig.
do not look at your instrument for more than maybe 2 seconds of a solo, it is the worst thing to ever do on stage, never look at your instrument instead of the crowd
Quote by Alijonroth
thanks dude...im gonna do the few extra spare e b and g thing cuz i only break the e when i do
and taping the picks to the mic stand!

im just afraid of tensing up mid-song and screwing up things....i played these tracks a hundred times and more but..i dunno,how can i NOT get nervous,i dont at the studio but u never know when ur up there right?

Yea, the string I've got issues with is the high e too, but I guess that's cuz i'm using 9 and like doing really extreme bends.

And honestly, don't be nervous. I have yet to hit the stage with a guitar in hand, but when I used to be in my school's jazz band playing sax I'd get nervous; just be relaxed and tune out the crowd. Get into the mood of the music and just have fun playing it. Don't pay attention to the crowd, at least at first, cuz that will make you extremely nervous and you've got a better chance of ****ing up if you're nervous before you even start. and since it's a rock metal show, a pose or face every like 30 seconds or so will definitely make the crowd happy.
that is the day of my birthday

good luck to you
Feels Good Man

...there's a metal train that's a mile long and at the very back end a lightning bolt struck her. How long til it reaches and kills the driver, provided that he's a good conductor...
Quote by Alijonroth
any performance tips??

You wouldnt happen to be playing in San Francisco would you?
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Quote by jack_mckinnon
that is the day of my birthday

good luck to you

lol thanks!

Quote by ZeBubba!
You wouldnt happen to be playing in San Francisco would you?

nope,you wouldnt believe...im playing in cairo,egypt!

Quote by RG_FANMAN
Yea, the string I've got issues with is the high e too, but I guess that's cuz i'm using 9 and like doing really extreme bends.

And honestly, don't be nervous. I have yet to hit the stage with a guitar in hand, but when I used to be in my school's jazz band playing sax I'd get nervous; just be relaxed and tune out the crowd. Get into the mood of the music and just have fun playing it. Don't pay attention to the crowd, at least at first, cuz that will make you extremely nervous and you've got a better chance of ****ing up if you're nervous before you even start. and since it's a rock metal show, a pose or face every like 30 seconds or so will definitely make the crowd happy.

youre absoluetly right...im going to do all that,try to relax!
Quote by eberg2
do not look at your instrument for more than maybe 2 seconds of a solo, it is the worst thing to ever do on stage, never look at your instrument instead of the crowd

there are solos where you HAVE to be looking.....position shifts!
Don't just stand there, whatever you do! But also don't sacrifice playing a tight set for jumping around like a fool. Know the songs well enough so that you almost fall into auto-pilot as soon as the first note is hit. Enjoy it, but more importantly, look like you are enjoying yourself.

June 06, good times
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Dec 11, 2008,
Have fun, know your stuff. Gigging is fun. I've only had a few with school, but it's fun.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by evh1776
Be solid on your parts first of all, technique can tend to go out the window if your not careful live. Next, make sure your equipment is good to go. Keep an extra cable ready to go if you can. Lastly, just enjoy it. If you have fun, the audience will have fun too, and they will respond better (generally)

Best of Luck!

And if you have pedals, bring enough patch cables, batteries/adapters, and a screwdriver. I had to change batteries in my pedals on 2 occasions, and i'm lucky the venues I was in had screwdrivers.
Quote by eberg2

That's stupid. I've played at several small venues and a **** load of parties, and looking at your instrument for more than two seconds isn't going to affect anything of any real consequence.

I don't go to a ****ing concert see how cool the band looks, I go to listen to the music. I could care less about whether or not somebody has to look at their instrument. ****, Paul Waggoner looks at his guitar on stage. Steve Vai looks at his guitar on stage. John Petrucci looks at his guitar on stage. Guess what? Nobody goes, "Oh, those guys all suck! They looked at their guitar more than they looked at me!"

I mean, to the topic starter, don't be the Deftones and not even look up at the audience, but just be nonchalant about it. I remember my first gig, three amps, a small PA, and lights all going out of the same extension cord, and my amp nearly fried halfway through.

**** is probably going to hit the fan, especially on account of how inexperienced you are, but just have fun dude. Look at everything with a positive attitude and not only will you get through the night, you'll have learned a valuable experience that you'll never forget, as well as hopefully gained some fans.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
I remember my bands first gig, i spent all of our set thinking my bass was out of tune.Its not a good look to be tuning up after every song,so dont do that! Unless its nessesary=]

First gigs are always the worst, but by the end you will love it and will want to play more asap =].Simple things such as not saying to the crowd "THIS IS OUR FIRST GIG AND WEVE ONLY PRACTICED THIS SONG A FEW TIMES,SORRY IF WE **** UP LOLZ" is a good thing to remember.Our singer used to tell the crowd if we were playing a new song, and that we might mess up.Then its like the crowd will expect it to be bad, makes you all look very amature =[.

Always keep water nearby too!Like another poster said, I always keep a bottle on my amp. You wont believe how thirsty you will get after one song on stage.Also try not to think too much about what your playing next,just let it flow.In our early gigs i used to get so nervous whilst playing, I'd be thinking "oh ****.does the chorus start in C or D?!", and when you over-think somthing like that your mind will just go blank. You can reherse your songs 100s of times at band practice and master them all, but when it comes to playing infront of a crowd of people your mind does stupid things like forget that riff youve played soo many times at home.Like I said, just let it flow

Dont worry if you do mess up, it happens to everyone.My bands been giging for nearly 3 years, played some pretty cool places, like the water rats and the dublin castle in london,also won a band contest a few weeks ago, won a thousand pounds! Our guitarist messed up a solo in one of the heats, and we still won.So its not the worst thing in the world, just dont panic and play it cool =] and good luck!
Make a list of the equipment you need to remember to bring. Do a sound check before you go on. Make sure everyone is tuned together. Make sure everyone is familiar with the set list. Heres the list I keep in my fiddle case:
1. Strat/Strap
2. Les Paul/Strap
3. 2 cables for FX Loop
4. 1 instrument cable
5. mic/mic cable/mic stand
6. 2 speaker cables
7. patch cable
8. rack unit
9. power attenuator
10. pack of strings
11. picks
13. amp/cab/ power cord and power strip