alright, so I've been assigned a 5 year old guitar student.
he's really eager to learn, but his hands are too small to play normal chords.
how should I teach him? is it even possible? are there small guitars for kids that young?
I'm pretty sure you can get half size and even 1/4 size guitars.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
I tried to teach my 8 year old sister. She just kept screaming when she couldn't play a chord. I felt like punching her in the face. Bitch.
teach him all notes on fretboard and then its solo tyme lol
Ibanez GAX-70

Roland microcube

50 watt Marshall through 4-12 avatar cabinet.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. Cause life isn't that simple."
Show him some very basic theory.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
i teach a minimum of 6 year old and even that is tough...one string melodies and 1/2 size chords but im telling you its TOUGH! 1/2 size electrics arent good btw in my experience they just dont stay in tune because of the scale. get a nylon string.
Quote by imdeth
I tried to teach my 8 year old sister. She just kept screaming when she couldn't play a chord. I felt like punching her in the face. Bitch.

Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Lesson one:

The guitar is not, and does not, taste like a cookie.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Teach him the art of Ukulele on one of these babies.

No one's gunna **** with him and He'll get all kinds of pussy if you teach him out to shred on it.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
teach him just single note songs and lullabies and nursery rhyme type things. My first guitar was a 3/4 size nylon string so you can definately get them.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by imdeth

Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Yeah, they make Junior guitars in elec, acoustic, and bass (once at a guitar store I saw a bass that was literally like 2 feet long and had rubber strings. It was pretty funny noodling around on it )

Start with stuff like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Happy Birthday, stuff you can play on a single string. Just make it a different string for each song so he can get the feel of changing up. Then change somthing up so it plays on two strings instead of one, and so forth. I woulden't worry about chords yet on a student that young, just get him comfortable holding it and fretting.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
you know wat dont even teach that kid chords
you dont want him to grow up to be a guy that plays around campfires only knowing like five chords and he just repeats them over and over thinking hes fooling his friends

start out teaching him some hendrix
Quote by srvkicks@$$
you dont want him to grow up to be a guy that plays around campfires only knowing like five chords and he just repeats them over and over thinking hes fooling his friends

So you're telling us you don't know any chords?
Wow...
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by srvkicks@$$

Have you ever thought that maybe he could teach him chords AND teach him other things?
You can get smaller guitars, but check the intonation and tuning stability before buying, many miniguitars are rubbish on those fronts.

Remember, you can reduce things to powerchords or smaller voicings (can he do D? Obviously G will be a challenge in its full version, but can he do the lowest 5 strings?) as well, show him the full voicing and show him how to reduce it.

And teach him what he wants to play. Not everyone loves nursery rhymes.