Friend has just got a peavey vypyr and is asking me about all its settings, must be pretty confusing for someone new to the guitar tbh

http://www.lidlmusic.sk/files/vypyr-30-big_panel1205417216.jpg

Anyway, I'm not sure myself what pre and post gain actually mean could anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks

Sharpant
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
pre is gain, post is volume. I think.

i had that problem when i tried out a peavey bandit about 5 years ago. peavey should really change it, it made me buy an AVT instead...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^What Dave said, but I think the further you increase post-gain you also add in a bit of gain, so the louder you go, turn down the pre-gain just a Tiny bit to solve the feed-back issue. At least that's what I noticed with my 6505.
i had the same problem for about a year with my 258 transtube.
Pre is how much gain is applied to the signal before the amplification stage (forcing it to distort) and post is how much gain is applied during the amplification to output stage (volume)
ohai little sig.
Thanks very much guys, I've told him
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Dec 7, 2008,
Another question, how do i differentiate between post gain and master volume then?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
^ post gain is the master volume, isn't it? or is there a master volume too? if there's a master too, you could use the post-gain as a channel volume, perhaps?

Quote by bowen
^What Dave said, but I think the further you increase post-gain you also add in a bit of gain, so the louder you go, turn down the pre-gain just a Tiny bit to solve the feed-back issue. At least that's what I noticed with my 6505.

aye, that'll happen with a tube amp, i think. the vypyr's not tube, so will probably be ok. but it's still worth bearing in mind that the louder you are, you might not need as much pre-gain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A lot of people crank the post-gain to get the most out of the power-tubes, then control it with the master for comfortable volume control.
Quote by Dave_Mc

aye, that'll happen with a tube amp, i think. the vypyr's not tube, so will probably be ok. but it's still worth bearing in mind that the louder you are, you might not need as much pre-gain.

Indeed
The higher-wattage vypyr's they're releasing actually have power-amp tubes, so it could still be a high likely-hood, but that depends if you're getting the 75-watt model or higher
EDIT: But considering he's looking into the 30 watt model, nvm
I really liked the 30 watt vypyr that I tried with the new Mike Mushok signature PRS SE, really great amp for the price and what you get out of it IMO.
Last edited by bowen at Dec 7, 2008,
^ still haven't been able to try one...

Quote by bowen
A lot of people crank the post-gain to get the most out of the power-tubes, then control it with the master for comfortable volume control.

i don't see how that could work. the master will be reducing the signal to the power tubes in a slightly different part of the circuit...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
pre=gain
post=OD channel volume
"normal" volume=clean channel volume
master volume=master volume (duh)

That's how it is on my Peavey C50, anyway.
Last edited by werty22 at Mar 5, 2009,