Hey Everybody. I have an Ibanez RG 370 DX 3 with the stock 5 way switch with HSH configuration.
I have an Air Norton for the neck position and a D-Sonic for the bridge position. I am going to disconnect the single coil. I want the following HH configuration:

Neck
Inside Bridge-Inside Neck
Both
Bridge Parallel
Bridge Series

Here is the link to a wiring Diagram:
projectguitar.com/tut/rewire.htm
I know this is a different guitar with a piezo, but I figure the diagram would work with my RG.

I know I need to get a new switch for this so I am going to get the Ibanez 5-way OTAX VLX91.
First can someone confirm this will fit in my guitar? secondly I need some help understanding the diagram.
I have a series of questions below correct me on any that are wrong.
Neck Pickup:
1. The red wire of the neck pickup is soldered to pole 0 on the left side of the VLX91 side.
2. The black wire of the neck pickup is soldered to pole 2 on the left side of the Otax side.
3. The white wire of the neck pickup is soldered to where???? It doesnt look like it is soldered to a pole is that just somewhere on the casing a sort of grounding or something?
4.The green wire of the neck pickup is soldered to pole 2 on the right side of VLX91.
5. The bare wire is soldered to ground. It says on the diagram the tremelo claw. Do I have to solder it there or can I solder it to the top of the volume pot?
Bridge Pickup:
6. Both the red and green wires from the bridge pickup are soldered to pole 4 on the right side of the otax side. Is this correct?
7.The black wire of the bridge pickup is soldered to pole 4 on the right side of the VLX91 side.
8. The white wire of the bridge pickup is soldered to where???? It doesnt look like it is soldered to a pole is that just somewhere on the casing a sort of grounding or something?
9.The bare wire is soldered to ground. It says on the diagram the tremelo claw. Do I have to solder it there or can I solder it to the top of the volume pot?

Other Questions about the wiring:
10. On my current stock 5-way switch there is a black wire soldered from ground to the second pole of the switch from the tone pot side. Where would this be soldered on the new switch? Is it soldered to the same place as the white wires from the pickups? If so, I have the same question about that as stated above.
11.On the stock 5-way switch, there is a red wire soldered on one of the three pole pieces of the volume pot to the 5th pole piece of the switch from the tone pot side. Where would this be soldered to on the new switch?
12. There is a wire from pole 2 on the right side of the VLX91 side to pole 3 on the left side of the VLX91 side. Is that just a wire connecting both sides?
13. I don't have to worry about a toggle switch right since I don't have a Piezo?
14. The wire from pole 0 on right side of the VLX91 side to pole 0 on the left side of the Otax side is just a wire connecting both sides right?
15. what are the various squiggly wires on both sides of the pole pieces?

Sorry for all the questions I just really wanna learn this stuff and be able to do it myself without any mistakes. I tried to make it as simple to understand as possible even though it looks intimidating. The pole pieces of the new switch I mentioned I used a diagram from this link for reference:
his.com/~sha3u/gear/vlx91.jpg
If anyone can help me with this you will be my savior.
Sorry I didn't bother to read most of that because I probably can't help you, but wouldn't using the inside coil of the neck and bridge be the same thing as using both? I thought on HH guitars like Les Pauls when you are in the middle position you are just using the two inner most coils. Or is there a way to wire both humbuckers so that you use both coils of both pickups?
Yes you can wire it so both coils of both humbuckers are used at the same time. The configuration I want uses a different switch and its confusing as hell.
You could get a super switch, but the best thing I can think of is to find a better wiring diagram. Maybe, this one might help? It's close. You could also just hock the auto-splitting and put in some push-pull pots or mini switches. That's what I do to keep it simple. Seymour Duncan has everything you need to wire those in.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
I thought you couldn't do that with a standard switch? Would the blue on the powersounds be green on dimarzios with all the other colors being the same?
I'm not entirely sure, but just as an example, my C-1 Classic has this wiring with a 5-way. I typically just find a diagram for the scheme I want to wire and go for it. The challenge for you, in this case, is simply to find a diagram for the scheme you want. Sorry if I sound lazy, but I don't really want to wade through the google wiring diagram abyss to find it, I'm just saying one might be out there.

I'll say it again, though, you're better off with some mini-switches. They'll cure any wiring ills.

Oh, and I saw you have a more general question.

5. The bare wire is soldered to ground. It says on the diagram the tremelo claw. Do I have to solder it there or can I solder it to the top of the volume pot?

The short answer is yes, you have to solder it to the trem claw. the ground wire must actually be connected to the bridge, in the case of a tremolo bridge the easiest thing to do is solder it to the trem claw. On hardtails, you need a way to run the wire to the bridge itself in order to ground the signal. The point of soldering everything else to the back of the volume pot is so you can run a single ground wire to the bridge instead of everything in a big jumbled mess.

At least for me, I started out simple and just followed the diagrams. And it worked! As I've wired more guitars, I've also come to understand the purpose of a lot of the wiring as opposed to just copying the schemes others have come up with. I'm not able yet to draw up my own diagrams, but I'm working on it.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Last edited by GravyFish at Dec 7, 2008,