Poll: Longer songs or shorter?
Poll Options
View poll results: Longer songs or shorter?
Long
50 61%
Short
32 39%
Voters: 82.
small songs for me...
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
If I were doing a song in the style of the Allman Brothers then the longer would be the easiest. (Not hating them, they just drag it on)

However a bunch of little songs would be harder, because you'd have to think of different concepts, riffs, and keys and such.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
I personally find it really hard to make songs cocise and not just go on and on and on...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I'd say longer songs, because you have to keep it interesting. Your average shorter songs (between 1 - 4 minutes) will only contain four riffs at most uaully, whereas if you're writing to exceed the 6 minute mark you don't want it to plod along or become boring and predictable.
I guess really I could do both because I love grindcore and doom metal, but I figure if you want real substance out of either, a longer song would be harder.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
this happens to everyt single Dragon Force Song and some Metallica ones, they just drag on forever and your sitting there thinking to yourself" why would they make a song that is like, 10minutes long and only have 1 short really good part" this is becuase is's harder to write the longer ones,
I'd say shorter.
Longer songs depend on how progressive you're being. You could just flow with the same theme throughout the long song, whereas with shorter songs, youre having to think up different themes for each.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Short are harder for me.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

/The Todd impression.

Anywho, my band mostly write shorter, more punchy rock songs. However, I'd love to try my hand at writing something big and epic like Won't Get Fooled Again, or November Rain, or something like that.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
long imo, because you would have to keep it interesting.. but in reality, the twenty two minute songs would make up the one long song.. either way it would be hard for me on my own.. if i was with a mate improvising and ****, and just record that for 30 minutes would be really easy
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I'd say it['s harder to make a long song that sounds good.

Anyone can keep rambling on for 10 minutes with 2 riffs, but it's almost guarantee'd to get boring after 2.
Harder to write shorter.

Longer songs can just be repeated. The words too, there's this thing called a chorus...
A 30-40 minute track? Wow :L I can't imagine that

But I think I'd find it more difficult writing lots of small ones.
Quote by dgme92
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

/The Todd impression.

Anywho, my band mostly write shorter, more punchy rock songs. However, I'd love to try my hand at writing something big and epic like Won't Get Fooled Again, or November Rain, or something like that.

i love tim mcgraw
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by Oh, hello.
Easy way to do a long song: Avant-Garde
Easy way to do a short song: Hardcore

Fixed.

4'33" must've been quite easy to write and is already longer than the usual pop song.

Quote by SilverSpurs616

Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by postmortem2006
I'd say longer songs, because you have to keep it interesting. Your average shorter songs (between 1 - 4 minutes) will only contain four riffs at most uaully, whereas if you're writing to exceed the 6 minute mark you don't want it to plod along or become boring and predictable.

this is just what i think too, but i usually can't think of something simple enough for a decent intro/outro, they're always either too complex for the start/end of a song (in my opinion) or if i did use them, it's likely they'd be an instrumental, which isn't the thing i usually write, but can do sometimes.
Quote by SilverSpurs616

Go buy Dopesmoker by Sleep. It's a 61 minute track/album, and it is the best thing ever.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
short because you gotsa change them all slightly or it would be pointless. with the long one, you can keep the same sort of thing throughout IMO
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
it's harder to make an interesting long song, since you really need to come up with multiple hooks and switch things up. whereas a short pop song only needs one hook.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
long songs are easy.
a bunch of short songs are difficult
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by SilverSpurs616

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

Check it out. It's 60 minutes, has a rather prominent theme throughout, and it does a good job of keeping the interest up; the lyrics alone warrant the album a listen. Plus, the main guitar solo is pure sex. Best listened to with headphones. Check it out.

As for the poll, I'd say it depends. Writing a song in the vain of Echoes or the aforementioned LoD, DoD would be difficult in the sense that too much of the same thing will drag the song out, while trying to do too little of a lot of things (ie; using an idea, and discarding it as quickly as it's brought into the picture) will just make the song feel schizophrenic and lacking in cohesion. There are exceptions of course where long drawn out, repetitive motives are used for an almost ambient effect (eg; drone and [stoner] doom metal bands like Sunn O))) and Sleep respectively).

On the other hand, writing short songs isn't always an easy time as well. Take a look at a lot of grindcore and hardcore punk (not the metal-flavoured jibber-jabber floating around on MTV these days): A song lasting no more than a minute, often times less, is not unheard of. Giving songs of that length their own identity is a task in and of itself; anyone can string together 2-3 riffs and make a song, but not everyone can do it while keeping the listeners interest and having them beg for more at the end of it all.

I voted short in the poll because their was no inbetween option
A life of hate is useless