So i've been shopping around for a combo tube amp lately, and i wanted to hear ug's recommendations. So far i've been leaning towards the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but i'm not committed to it just quite yet.

I play in a jazz combo, so cleans are very important to me, but i also live to play metal. I know that it's an awkward combination, but i'm willing to invest in a pedal if necessary. Overall, I'm looking for good tone for around $500-800 USD.
^ Not necessarily the best choice.

The Hot Rod MAY be a good choice if you get a Metal Muff or something along those lines, but it's not a good amp for metal in any way.

In this situation I would recommend buying either an amp better suited either for cleans or for metal (whatever you need more, a clean amp can do OK metal with a pedal sometimes but not vice versa), then saving up and buying the other one as well as an A/B box to switch between them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I was thinking i would have to do that at first, but i was at GC the other day, and the sales person put one of those cheap orange boss distortion pedals in front of the hot rod, and it sounded AWSOME. I haven't tried it yet, but i was thinking that if i get a high-quality dist pedal, i'd get some truly impressive metal tones.

Any other amp suggestions?
Quote by The Lemon
I was thinking i would have to do that at first, but i was at GC the other day, and the sales person put one of those cheap orange boss distortion pedals in front of the hot rod, and it sounded AWSOME. I haven't tried it yet, but i was thinking that if i get a high-quality dist pedal, i'd get some truly impressive metal tones.

Any other amp suggestions?

That's an option. If you like it, by all means do it.

If you can find one, a used Peavey JSX or XXX would cover all the bases. You could also try a Bugera, I'd imagine the 333XL would suit you.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
The Hot Rod takes pedals really well, and as the other guy said you can get metal tones with a pedal on a clean amp, but you can't get jazz cleans on a metal amp.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
look for a used roland jazz chorus. as for a distortion pedal, i say you save up for a keeley modified metal zone

EDIT: i just realized you asked for a tube combo, so incase you didnt know, ill point out that the jazz chorus is a solid state amp. its incredibly clean though and supposedly takes pedals nicely. also, another good metal pedal thats cheaper than the modded metal zone would be the metal muff
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Dec 7, 2008,