So I'm getting another set tomorrow, but last time I just had them put in by a pro because I was having some other stuff done too, but this time I dont see the need. Really I'm just curious of any complications, as far as I can tell Its just a matter of unscrewing the old ones and popping in the new ones. It is that simple correct?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

a simple yes would have been fine.

Quote by bogg808

Actually, it's not that simple, because sometimes strap locks come with screws that are fatter and/or longer than your original strap screws.

I always try to use the original screws if possible, being careful to cut the tips off if the strap lock posts let the screws go deeper into the body than the stock screws (which they usually do).

This is *critical* if you're putting strap locks on, say, an SG where the post goes on right behind the neck. If you go too deep, you could hit the truss rod and f#$%k up your guitar. Or if the new screws are really fat, you could split the wood.

On a couple of my guitars, I had to break out my Dremel tool and grid around the screw head to make it fit in the new post.

If you do use the new strap lock screws, just go slow and don't go too deep. But my advice is to use the old screws if possible (griding the head or trimming the tip as required).
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Dec 7, 2008,
I would lend credibility to just use the old screws if possibble.

another possibility (which i had to do) was by the same size screw that the guitar already had but with the style of head that the straplock's screw had (since the shape of the head is important to its proper functioning) the screw would only be like 20 cents I think.
MY BANDS

Phat Toosday and the Astro-Bus
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/ptabmusic

Lets All Get Superpowers
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/lags

Hobstolopho
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/hobstolopho

Come Visit Today!!!
Thanks guys, by the way, I'm not totally sure what straplocks I have on my current guitar, if anyone could help, they have like a U shaped part attached to the strap, and you pull out a little knob to release the strap from the guitar body, Id like to get the same ones for my new guitar.

Quote by bogg808