Would some new tubes help w. the harshness of my VJ? It has the bitmo trio mods and sounds great clean, but when cranked sounds a little harsh and trebley.

Id like to get alot more bass out of it and cut down on the harshness a bit. I do use a modded TS and it help w. the harshness, but not so much bass.

I was also wondering if its self biasing and if i could put a kt-77 or 88 or w.e its called in instead of the EL-84 (or 34 or w.e) thats in there now. Also what tube brand for earliest break up.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
An Eq pedal would probably be easier and more noticeable of a difference
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
so that sums it up then? I also was just wondering what the major diff between Kts and ELs are and if their interchangable
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Squier strat

Invest in a Gain and Distortion pedal.

that way you can leave the distortion off on the amp itself, and use the amp as a real amp "tricky"
Sam-Jacob
buy a bass boost pedal or raise the pickups closer to the strings...

VJs dont have distortion ^
yeah, you cant swap KT sized tubes for EL's. (unfortunatly)

i would agree a nice OD (and the fat boost from fulltone specifically) would work wonders. along with or separately with an EQ.

and tube amplifiers are somewhat meant to break up at higher volumes, since you sacrifice \
headroom for sound quality, which no one has a real problem with, since that is how it goes.
if you are happy to mod it yourself do the tweed tone control mod.

i did that to mine and it is superb... really good tone cct with LOTS of bass! LOTS!
Thank you please.
What is the Bitmo mod?
I've done extensive modding on my Harley Benton GA5 (same circuit) and can get pretty warm overdriven and clean tones straight from the amp. Check out Overdrive sound sample. There's cleaner samples on there in a different vid on my page also.
If this is the kind of tone you're after then let me know and I'll share some of the idea's I used.

Because of the output transfromer you cannot use any valve that put's out more than 6-8 Watts in Class A. This rules out pretty much every valve except the EL84 and the 6V6. You could udgrade the OT (which would require re-drilling the chassis), change the valve socket (which may also require re-drilling) and rewire the bias circuitry to take an EL34, 6L6 etc.etc. but I'm not sure that the effort would be worth it. The power supply only delivers a HT of about 340Vdc which isn't really enough to get those valves cooking, dont forget you'd still have to use cathode biasing so you're P-C voltage would be about 300Vdc for an EL34. I suppose you could try fixed bias giving the full HT across the valve but then you'd need a negative power supply also and 340Vdc still isn't that much. Marshalls typically use 420 - 500Vdc on their EL34s.
You could mod it to use a 6v6. But there are limits for the stock transformer when it comes to tubes. Big problem with distortion in the VJ is there is only 1 preamp tube doing all the work, messing with some of the resister values might help. I fixed the resisters at the input jack but the 10k i used is to low the tube gets to much signal Im gonna bump it up when my parts get here. I did the master volume mod to mine and am working on adding a second preamp tube to it. But an EQ will help alot.
thanks for all the help so far guys, i also heard that a mod could be done to make it under 1 watt like the blackheart killer ant? by somehow using a preamp tube as a poweramp tube? i doubt this will work at all, but im kinda new to modding any one have anything to say about that?
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Squier strat

Using one side of a 12AT7 could probably deliver that kinda power.
I think the killer ant uses both sides in push pull but you only have a single ended OT so you could only use one side.
The other side could be used as an additional gain stage.
Jeez I might try this myself!!
so it wouldnt blow my transformer or anything? even if it did it would prob just blow a fuse and i have like 20 spares just in case. I think im gonna try it cause my ears are ringing! lol when i crank it , it was just as loud as my valveking 112 on 8
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Squier strat