Ok, i got some stuff to throw at everybody. I'm in a little school band ya know, wanting to make it big but don't know where to start. Not a whole lot of originals, just playing what we like to listen to. The problem is that no one likes to listen to the same music really so we argue over what we should do. It goes like this:

Guitar/bass - both love heavy metal, e.g. Children of Bodom and Five-Finger Death Punch. They like it mainly because of the crazy solos that they like showing off to.

Drummer - kinda laid back, doesn't have any specific genres he listens to. The only problem is that he's a crazy Rage Against The Machine fan, and wants to play anything by them. We all hate Rage and say he's an idiot.

Vocals(me) - I listen to everything else that the other band members listen to and am kinda willing to sing it, but i listen to like punk pop, or pop rock, such as Cartel, Something Corporate, Jack's Mannequin, and Relient K and stuff.

So we all argue and i'm trying to find some common ground. Anybody have any songs that could appease most of us. Or could someone show me a genre or some songs that our band could gravitate towards?
Quote by koslack
Sure, it's hard. Breaking up a band is like breaking up with a girl, but worse because there's more than 1 band member.
Just pick songs you guys can agree on and practice them. Eventually, you guys will grow as a band and see things the same way. You will start coming up with original music that everyone likes and everyone will sound good if they like it.

If this doesn't work, get new bandmates

Primus I guess has some stuff for everybody but you
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
You might have to write originals that incorporate a bit of everything. Or just talk about it in a group, I'm sure your drummer likes more bands than RATM. Or try going back to the roots of the bands they like eg: find a band that influenced both RATM and Cob.
Quote by Bloodsick
You might have to write originals that incorporate a bit of everything. Or just talk about it in a group, I'm sure your drummer likes more bands than RATM. Or try going back to the roots of the bands they like eg: find a band that influenced both RATM and Cob.

Um, what band could possibly influence Rage and Cob at the same time?
Quote by koslack
Sure, it's hard. Breaking up a band is like breaking up with a girl, but worse because there's more than 1 band member.
Thats a pretty big range of influences

Sometimes different influences really blend to a unique original sound.. but, since you guys are playing covers and calling people idiots because they like Rage (an awesome band), i think you should just quit the band and mature as a musician.
Quote by blumberry

Zeppelin. Maybe.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Thats a pretty big range of influences

Sometimes different influences really blend to a unique original sound.. but, since you guys are playing covers and calling people idiots because they like Rage (an awesome band), i think you should just quit the band and mature as a musician.

No, i don't hate Rage (i agree they're awesome) and we don't call him an idiot because he listens to it, but because that's all he talks about.
Quote by koslack
Give him a break its just a musical phase, I talked nothing of ac/dc for a long time, than I matured.

It might be tough for you guys based on the spread of influences... try doing some metallica to please everyone
Just do different genres of songs live >_>

Just practice like 2-4 songs from each genres, no one will care if you go from Reliant K to some CoB songs live. >_>
Fusion?

Do something experimental with those genres. I don't see why people stil to some sort of rule book or template.

If you want to do something that pleases everything, DO IT.
Heres what you do.

throw everything you know about music genres away.

And just jam out and try to find a style that fitts, when it fells alright just stick with it. Thats how you become something special instead of another run of the mill piece of dough.

My band did it. It was me and the drummer who were huge metal/hardcore fans whilst the bassist and rythm guitarist where more Jazz and blues folks. We whent with it and then developed into something that could be called Jazz-Hard core. In my opinion, we rock.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by MadAudioMan
Just do different genres of songs live >_>

Just practice like 2-4 songs from each genres, no one will care if you go from Reliant K to some CoB songs live. >_>

Dude i think some people might care about that.

Thanks for the input everybody.
Quote by koslack
Quote by blumberry

Pretty much every metal band that came before both of them. They obviously have grounding in the same area, that being heavy rock and metal. Tom Morello has talked about how he spent his teen years practicing hair metal licks from bands like Night Ranger and stuff, and Alexi did the same thing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
look at some pop-core. stuff like Four Year Strong, Crime In Stereo, Set Your Goals. Or maybe just some punk or REAL hardcore(good drums) in general
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?