Page 1 of 2
Alright, so I applied for a scholarship in my county called Walker's Rising Stars. It's a $10,000 scholarship and I am in the Instrumental Music category.

The criteria they judge on is:

"- Performances will be judged on overall artistic excellence as demonstrated by: intonation, tone quality, technique, rhythmic accuracy, interpretation, general musicianship, expression and stage presentation.

- Each contestant MUST prepare TWO MUSICAL SELECTIONS. Selections must be contrasting in mood, character, style and tempo. It is recommended that the two selections be of contrasting musical genre."

I'm allowed to have an accompany, either live or recorded.

My audition is set to January 20th, so I have a little less than a month in a half to prepare and learn a song.

My question which song to play. I'd like to play something that sounds good, is a crowd pleaser, and is impressive to the judges. They two pieces must be atleast 3 minutes and at most 8 minutes.

Here are some of my choices:

Justin King - Phunkdified; I've been playing this song for a few years now so it's no problem for me. I'm just afraid it's not impressive enough and I'm not sure what the judges would think.
http://www.youtube.com/v/Xon04MB1rDw&hl=en&fs=1

Justin King (untitled song) - same story as above, been playing this for a few years so it's not a problem of learning.
http://www.youtube.com/v/cRRF_M2T-vY&hl=en&fs=1

Tommy Emmanuel - Somewhere Over The Rainbow; this is an amazing piece and I would love to play it. It's just I don't know it yet, I can probaly learn it by the time the audition comes around but I don't know how well I would be able to play it. I'm also not sure what the judges would think; it seems like a simple song but playing it is incredibly hard and complicated.
http://www.youtube.com/v/fZNJf-h7F8s&hl=en&fs=1

Jason Becker - Altitudes; Same as above, but I don't think I could play this at full speed... it's extremely hard and I don't know how clean I'd be able to play it. I can practice a lot though.
http://www.youtube.com/v/tRK6NxgPlfo&hl=en&fs=1

I have some other ideas, but those are my main ones.

Any other suggestions or tips/advice?
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
write your own songs, one really upbeat and happy, and a really slow, depressing instrumental.

Proud member of the LGBTQQ group.
Well (Assuming you can). I'd play one song electric and one acoustic guitar so that you get the "diversity" the judges are looking for. The third song would be a nice one to do, along with a song similar to the fourth but maybe easier.
Smoke on the Water. That song is SOOOOOOO ****ing hard.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough
I was actually thinking Technical Difficulties. But I dunno how that'd fly with the judges....

Comfortable Numb is something I wouldn't really call difficult though...
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Do Angel of Death - Slayer
Then do some random acoustic song.
Attitudes.
And take the intro from BTBAM's Alaska and turn it into an entire song, or make it like your intro to Attitudes?
Comfortably numbs pretty hard to me

but its a pretty emotional and an epic song in general...

it might fly with the judges...

i dont see why Technical difficulties wouldnt fly...its not like its a death metal song...i would have said "farewell ballad" but thats far to short...soothsayer maybe?
well you have to remember my other competitors... This competition, they generally play classical stuff. I can't really play stuff like that, but I'd like to play something thats out there but still somewhat within the appropriate nature of the competition.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
if you can find the perfect tone (the yogurt distortion) play Natural born boy by Steve Vai
Dream Theater = "The auditory equivalent of masturbating into a cup and then smelling it."
if you can manage, do Tommy Emmanuel's vers of 'classical gas', though I'd say its pretty hard, it'll be a long time before I can play the whole thing.

And for the contrast do 'fade to black by' Metallica, something along those two would be fine I guess.
Fade To Black?

Seriously guys? Any less creative? Maybe you should throw Scarified at him.

No. I would deffinitely not advise doing something over-done.

I'd rather you hear play something possibly experimental. Something with a bit of risk and creativity.

But yeah, Imo if you walk into their playing Fade To Black, I don't think you'll leave a mark (not a positive one anyway).
I was thinking of Oceans, but I don't have a 12 string and I don't think it'd have the same effect without it.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
do canon rock and then do ill see the light tonight

edit:
oh classical?

find something with a lot of classical from malmsteem or do something like completely different like jazz or the blues. mark knopler should suffice
Last edited by seankellyultgtr at Dec 7, 2008,
Maybe Fly Me To The Moon or something like that, then Viking Kong or Let The Computer Decide (if you've got a seven string).

Or maybe have some slide song first.
Quote by NOSPI
Somewhere over the rainbow

Ocean by john butler - this version: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZw9D9c18E

that's what i'm planning on doing. Ocean isn't as hard as it looks, well not on a 6 string anyway. But i can't play it like him. Nowhere near as complicated, but still sounds good.

+1 to Ocean. If you have a good acoustic amp, I would recommend a decent delay pedal (More specifically, a Carbon Copy), I find that delay does wonders for this song. A tiny amount of chorus can help too, and when you're trying to emulate the sound of a 12 string on a 6 string, you really need all the help you can get.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
A Sad Clapton Song!!!!!
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I wasn't aware that Eric Cartman was a UGer.

He said that about me

michael angelo batio-no boundaries(don't know how to spell)
I would go with a justin king song
Definitely over the rainbow as one of them, it's amazing.

Oh and the classical version of Bohemian rhapsody is pretty sweet too.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Chris Impellitteri

or

Rain Forest - Micheal Angelo Bation

but they're both shred, so i guess you need something else too

how bout you figure out Race with the Devil on Spanish Highway - Al Di Meola

awsome jazz fusion
Concerto by Cacophony.

Faster than the original.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I think I might do Airtap by Erik Mongrain. I have the tabs and lesson he did, I just bought it. And I think I'll be doing Tommy Emmanuel's Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Airtap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
You should probably go with the ones you know because you'll be able to perform them, not just play them if you know what I mean. Somewhere Over the Rainbow is an incredibly difficult song, I'm partway through learning it, and it's not really a performance song. Go with one of the ones you know.

EDIT: Play the untitled song. Phunkified is monotonous and doesn't really show the skills the untitled song does.
play some john 5

"sounds of impalement" and for the sad one "2 die 4"
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by xyz66 at Dec 7, 2008,
I'm not sure how good of a player you are, therefore it makes it slightly difficult to reccomend songs. However, I'd suggest starting out with an energetic, upbeat song, and focus on your stage presence. Second, get a deep, emotional, bluesy song that leaves the judges with something good.
Quote by lunaticfringe93

Maggot Brain - Funakdelic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh3bleXWaCk

That

and

Castles Made of sand - Hendrix
Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who
[quote="Khoifish321

Justin King - Phunkdified; I've been playing this song for a few years now so it's no problem for me. I'm just afraid it's not impressive enough and I'm not sure what the judges would think.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Xon04MB1rDw&hl=en&fs=1

i do not believe u can play that song unless u prove otherwise. Please upload a video of you playing that song.
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
are people really that skeptical?

it's not a hard song, it's pretty easy once you get the main part of it down...

I'll try to get a video of me playing soon if you really want
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Page 1 of 2