Would it be worth it to buy the Boss DS-1 pedal?
I have a Line 6 Spider III and would the Boss pedal be better then the Line 6 Distortion?
I KNOW IM STUPID FOR BUYING IT ITS MY FIRST AMP DONT FLAME ME 4 IT
Also what cables would i need for this one pedal THX
It'll be a bit better yeah,
but if you're planning on buying a new amp in the near future then
don't bother.
Many Line 6 amps don't take pedals very well. I don't know how well it will or won't take the DS-1. But if I were you, I'd just invest towards a new amp, and not really buy anything until you do.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
If you take your amp to a guitar store and ask to try out the DS-1 into your amp, they should let you. You can make a better decision from there.
no
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

I just bought one yesterday (I had a $15 gift certificate from GC for the weekend & I paired this up with a 10% off coupon). Got it for about $20 new. It sounds great in my SS amps (Ampeg BA-112 and MicroCube) and it even sounds good with my Orange TT -- although the TT doesn't need any help.

Go for it. GC has 'em for about $35. You can't go wrong @ that price.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Dec 7, 2008,
for leads the line 6 distortion is better. But for rythem i would suggest the boss pedal. the line 6 lacks the chug good distortion needs. but i guess it would depend on what style you play. i play really heavy stuff. but i used to own both and i hope this helps.
A DS-1 will give you a more "tasteful" range of distortion, compared to the presets. You'll need two cables, both at least 10 ft (I'd suggested at least one being 20ft)

I like using it better than the presets on an Spider 3 because I can easily change settings, and contrary to popular belief, with the correct pickup.setting combo, you can get a decent tone. I'm not saying it will knock your socks off, but I get a nice heavy southern rock-ish classic tone on my bridge pup (humbucker) with the distortion at 2/3 and the tone all the way down.

there's also plenty of modifications out there for a DS-1 if you get it but have an interest in making it better. I don't have the time for it.

\
\
Here's what I wish I did instead of buying that though: get a fuzz box offline, and listen to sound clips. I KNOW IT WILL SOUND DIFFERENT WITH YOUR AMP, but at least you will get a better bang for your buck.
So, J dizzle if i cleared my amp of all of the presets would the boss sound better than if I kept the presets
The Line6 doesn't get along well with the DS-1. I have both and have tried. It sucks a lot of volume out of the amp, making it a lot quieter. Honestly, don't use effects with a Spider, at least not any distortion. You could use others like modulation, but it's already got those. I'd wait to buy effects until you have a better amp.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by Hesh_09
The Line6 doesn't get along well with the DS-1. I have both and have tried. It sucks a lot of volume out of the amp, making it a lot quieter. Honestly, don't use effects with a Spider, at least not any distortion. You could use others like modulation, but it's already got those. I'd wait to buy effects until you have a better amp.

Yeah when I got my Spider III I was kinda sad my DS-1 didn't work well with it, but after about a year I found a good tone on the Spider that makes up for it...although I miss using my DS-1...
Quote by AustinAtomic
the spider > ds1 dist.

coming from the dude with the Frontman
I know, I know...
Buy a new amp.

Buying pedals to improve your tone is just gonna suck money out of your wallet until you realise that a new amp is the way to go.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
if ur gonna save up for a cheap, better amp, the roland cubes distortion is pretty much the ds-1
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by Armchair Bronco

I just bought one yesterday (I had a $15 gift certificate from GC for the weekend & I paired this up with a 10% off coupon). Got it for about $20 new. It sounds great in my SS amps (Ampeg BA-112 and MicroCube) and it even sounds good with my Orange TT -- although the TT doesn't need any help.

Go for it. GC has 'em for about $35. You can't go wrong @ that price.

WTF? sigged.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

Quote by mothership
WTF? sigged.

Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by mothership
WTF? sigged.

Hell yeah, idiots! Idiots with their own opinions that aren't automatically wrong for not being the same as yours!
ok two options
1. buy a cheap multi effects and use it ONLY ON THE CLEAN CHANNEL. this made my spider significantly better for a little while.
2. Sell the spider for whatever you can get and use the money you get plus the money you were saving for the pedal to buy a peavey vypyr instead.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by AustinAtomic
the spider > ds1 dist.

tube dist.>both
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
the DS-1 is basically just a generic hard-clipping circuit with simple frequency filters. which is why it sucks unless you use it to sharpen up a smooth tube overdrive tone. with your amp, it will sound horrible.

you can get distortion/overdrive pedals that will work reasonably well into a spider III, but they can be pricey. It all depends what kind of distortion you're looking for.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
The only good about the ds1 is that it can be modded into tons of sounds.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

Well, The DS-1 is probably better than the Spider's distortion, but Line 6 don't take pedals very well, so I'd suggest waiting and saving up for a better amp, one that takes pedals well, than go from there.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by mothership
The only good about the ds1 is that it can be modded into tons of sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCE6SDkdPDQ the guy in the middle here is using a stock boss DS-1 as a boost at the beginning of this song. it may not sound so awesome on the video, but i was there, and his tone was just OMFG good

i will point out though - that is what a DS-1 sounds like with the level maxed and tone/dist at 10 o'clock-ish into a cranked matchless DC30, with a 1965 gibson firebird V, being played by an awesome guitarist. And through a clean amp or an amp with crap overdrive or an overdrive channel that doesn't respond to pedals too well, the DS-1 is awful for reasons i already explained a few posts up.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp