I know there's already a religion, philosophy and politics thread but I think that it would be cool to have a thead about interesting ideas in general where people could post a short preview of a theory/idea/view/practice that they think is interesting and then a link to a site that talks more about it. That way if you're bored and want to read something interesting you can just come to this thread.

If this thread actually picks up (which Im not so sure of, considering it's the pit lol) I could make an index on the first few posts of all the ideas and divide it in sections (philosophy, physics, religion, etc)

I'll start with a few:

Berkley's idea of objects

His theory that objects have no more existence than ideas in people's minds.
He talks about this idea in his dialogue between Hylas and Philonous:
http://www.bartleby.com/37/2/1.html

M-Theory
Theory that says that there are 11 dimensions in the universe and that there are parallel universes
http://www.amtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/public/qg_ss.html

Dream Yoga
Yoga practiced by tibetan buddhist monks to induce lucid dreams (dreams where the person has complete control) by taking a more critical view of reality
http://www.dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?t=34263
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
I'll continue the index here if the thread picks up
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
I posted my theory that Jesus is actually a time traveller from the future in the religion an philosophy thread and no one liked it. It does explain a lot, but I don't actually believe it myself.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?

We like free stuff and we are hypocrites
Trust me I'm a doctor

A doctor with a mustache
Quote by mathieupM13
We like free stuff and we are hypocrites

then y dont Jews celebrate christmas too?

*waits to get banned for that*
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke

Because it's not really the same holiday it used to be. It's not about Jesus anymore, it's about either making people feel awesome or being greedy and wanting a bunch of ish. I actually celebrate Christmas by giving food hampers to poor families. It's a great feeling when kids are happy for corn flakes

But I also asked for a bunch of books for xmas.

And yea, I'm an atheist.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke

Presents.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke

Consumer culture has made it popular for people of any creed?

I get yelled at every year when I say I don't want to celebrate it
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke

more importantly, WHY DON'T WE CELEBRATE HONICA!!!

as most country's are majority christian, then everyone (that lives there) celebrates Christmas, if you haven't realized, its become more than about Jesus. now its about family and sharing and **** like that.

im sure non Jews in Jew land (i have no idea what country its from) celebrate honica... lucky bastards
*Enter Sig Here*
I have a theory.

In recent years, girls have become more sexually attracted to girl-esque guys. "Emo" guys being the most prevolent, along with "sk8ers". As these last couple of years have gone by, it's only gotten bigger. Girls don't like the manly man/not too girly man too much anymore.

MY THEORY: All girls will eventually turn lesbian.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by Nafon
The Venus Project (Anarcho-Syndicalism)

Watch Zeitgeist Addendum

or check out some Noam Chomsky
-Homer Simpson
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke

What we all know as christmas (pretty much everything about it minus jesus) is loosly based on a pagen holiday. Plus its so comercial and is such a big part of our culture that its here to stay regardless or christianity.

Plus do you have any idea how much money companies and buisnesses make of christmas? It isn't going away any time soon.
Quote by Karvid
Maybe the number three has a human fetish

Quote by SeveralSpecies
It is a book by Michael Behe arguing for Intelligent Design.

I assume it has great tits because it has been repeatedly titty f*cked by REAL scientists.

I am god. Prove me wrong
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Hale_91

im sure non Jews in Jew land (i have no idea what country its from) celebrate honica... lucky bastards

It's called Jewlandia, an island in the middle of the Jewlantic Ocean.
Quote by YourDad
I have a theory.

In recent years, girls have become more sexually attracted to girl-esque guys. "Emo" guys being the most prevolent, along with "sk8ers". As these last couple of years have gone by, it's only gotten bigger. Girls don't like the manly man/not too girly man too much anymore.

MY THEORY: All girls will eventually turn lesbian.

Emo died in the early 90s...those are scene kids
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
I know there's already a religion, philosophy and politics thread but I think that it would be cool to have a thead about interesting ideas in general where people could post a short preview of a theory/idea/view/practice that they think is interesting and then a link to a site that talks more about it. That way if you're bored and want to read something interesting you can just come to this thread.

If this thread actually picks up (which Im not so sure of, considering it's the pit lol) I could make an index on the first few posts of all the ideas and divide it in sections (philosophy, physics, religion, etc)

I'll start with a few:

Berkley's idea of objects
His theory that objects have no more existence than ideas in people's minds.
He talks about this idea in his dialogue between Hylas and Philonous:
http://www.bartleby.com/37/2/1.html

M-Theory
Theory that says that there are 11 dimensions in the universe and that there are parallel universes
http://www.amtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/public/qg_ss.html

Dream Yoga
Yoga practiced by tibetan buddhist monks to induce lucid dreams (dreams where the person has complete control) by taking a more critical view of reality
http://www.dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?t=34263

:/
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish