I just chopped up a birch tree that fell down in my yard to get guitar wood, but it's spalted and i don't have the tools to turn it into a fancy little veneer. So anyone got any ideas as for how much it'd go for ($ wise)? or better yet, anyone want to trade for regular tone wood? (ash, maple, mahogany, etc?)
My camera's lens is messed up so the pics are kinda blurry (nikon d60, any ideas?) but heres a pic of the wood, no it hasn't been thickness planed or seasoned, just chainsawed. http://leviman2001.googlepages.com/SpaltedBirch.JPG
Wouldn't it need to be dried out before you could actually do something with it?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
if you could figure out the moisture content, i may have some white ash laying around. It's not dried either, but it's solid wood. It's from the same tree my build's wood is from.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
do you have a lumber yard/ wood workshop around you? you may be able to get it kiln dried....
Check ebay. Looks like bowl blanks made of spalted birch aren't going for an amazing amount.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
If i made it a top, wouldn't it sound really dull and muted due to the spalting?

I wouldn't say so, I honestly don't know what birch sounds like in a guitar (I know it is often used as a guitar wood, spalted and natural). I think if it was dried enough, it would be fine. However, it's important to note that spalted woods (at least maple) sucks up finish, so if you do ever do anything with it, it'll be a bitch to finish. Also, you better do something with it quick (like quite quick; I'd try to get it in a kiln or in a really dry place at least in under a week), otherwise the wood will grow ordinary mold because of the moisture content, and you'll be left with a mouldy, wet, useless stump.
the spalted maple cap on my double cut cost £95. its a thin cap too... maybe 12-15mm

if thats any guide...?
Thank you please.