I've been looking at new guitars and I was wondering what people thought about them....I dont really understand it that much either. Is it the neck that's being scalloped?
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
It will make playing harder or some ****. It is completely pointless. Which is why Yngwi Egosteem has it.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
yeah, the frets
so you can push down on them to bend them
I don't really get the point either, just go with it

I'm not aware of anyone who does what you just said to bend the frets, because I'd imagine it'd kill your fingers in minutes.

People who scallop say:

1. It's easier to bend, because the fretboard wood isn't on your fingers, which reduces resistance
2. (Not Proven) Shredding is easier
3. (Not Proven) You get better tone out of it.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Does anyone reccomend it, or just go with normal frets?
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
basically all scalloped frets do is give you better control over the strings because there is no wood to get in the way. bending, vibrato, etc. are easier. but there are drawbacks. if you press too hard the note will go out of tune, and despite what most people think it does not make you faster, if anything it will slow you down. but try it out beforehand and see if you like it.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Scalloping the space in between the frets, supposedly makes it easier to play because your fingers don't come into contact with the fretboard.

Be careful though becuase it does require a very light touch or you will send the notes sharps when you play. For that reason scalloped fret boards aren't the best if you're a rhythm heavy player. If you're going to just be doing noodely lead work like Yngwie it may be worth cosidering.
Quote by V.U.K
I'm not aware of anyone who does what you just said to bend the frets, because I'd imagine it'd kill your fingers in minutes.

People who scallop say:

1. It's easier to bend, because the fretboard wood isn't on your fingers, which reduces resistance

When you're touching a string it isn't even touching the wood so your finger shouldn't be either, right?
Getting better tone is a stupid reason.
You can get better tone out of an amp, a cab, a pedal, a mic, a guitar, a pickup, a volume control, strings, tunings, player, fingers or pic, an overdub or wood type so just getting the scallops for tone would be stupid.
Quote by V.U.K

People who scallop say:

BS- If you're applying pressure properly your fingers shouldn't actually touch the fretboard
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.

Mr Flibble says you should use the search bar...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by HeavyReverb
BS- If you're applying pressure properly your fingers shouldn't actually touch the fretboard

It is actually difficult to push the string down far enough to touch the fretboard. At least on my schecter with jumbo frets it is. The strat has itty bitty frets and it's slightly harder to bend.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Mr Flibble then said you fail at wit.
Quote by HeavyReverb

Depends on the height of the frets your playing on. On jumbo frets you'd have to be pretty heavy handed to actually hit the fretboard, but on some more vintage-styled guitars with shorter frets, even with a light touch you'll hit the fretboard.

EDIT - that Mr. Flibble picture may be scarred in my memory now. Now, whenever I consider buying a Gibson LP Studio I'll have an image of both pissed off penguin and some creepy dude in my mind. Thanks...
From what I have heard it more or less forces you to be more precise with your playing. It also makes bends and vibratos a lot easier. Oh and doesnt Vai have the upper frets scalloped on his guitar?

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Not getting the reference...
?!
Quote by Schecter1277
It will make playing harder or some ****. It is completely pointless. Which is why Yngwi Egosteem has it.

Could you talk any more ****E? It's so you can bend easier, the older JEM models have scalloped frets from 21 - 24. It's quite cool and handy for fretting in that region. Yngwie has it on every fret which seems kinda pointless
Quote by grenade24
Not getting the reference...

You need to have seen a specific episode of Red Dwarf...I think it's called "Quarantine" but I'm not sure.

EDIT: yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarantine_(Red_Dwarf)

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Dec 7, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You need to have seen a specific episode of Red Dwarf...I think it's called "Quarantine" but I'm not sure.

Is there a youtube clip of it?
?!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zanon
Could you talk any more ****E? It's so you can bend easier, the older JEM models have scalloped frets from 21 - 24. It's quite cool and handy for fretting in that region. Yngwie has it on every fret which seems kinda pointless

Didn't we just cover that when playing normally a guitar's string doesn't touch the fretboard anyway.
However, in the upper frets where you normally play chords more, and the string touches the fret to kind anchor the strings and keep the chord in key. With scalloped frets you don't have that, so it is possible that you may bend the chord when you don't mean to and it will go all out of key.
alright thanks. It doesnt seem like a wise decision to get one with all scalloped frets at least. maybe some upper frets scalloped
My Gear:
Quote by SGmaniac1021
Does anyone reccomend it, or just go with normal frets?

Just go with normal frets. If you can try it and you like it/feel it makes you play better/ then go for it. Just don't but a guitar without trying it. It's like extended range guitars, would you buy an 8, 9, or 10 string guitar only ever having played a six? No.
Quote by Schecter1277

the amount of fail in your post is utterly mind-blowing. i now need surgery to stitch my head closed and i will need reconstructive brain surgery.
Quote by ironman1478
the amount of fail in your post is utterly mind-blowing. i now need surgery to stitch my head closed and i will need reconstructive brain surgery.

Don't attempt wit, it makes yourself look bad. I deduct 20 internets from you.
I dont see the reason that coming into contact with the fretboard wood would be a factor, i never push hard enough to touch it anyway... And saying that if you push to hard with scalloped frets makes it out of tune is obvious, the same applies to a normal fretboard.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by Schecter1277
Don't attempt wit, it makes yourself look bad. I deduct 20 internets from you.

I did overdo it a little, but you honestly have no know knowledge of scalloped guitars and that if you were as good of a guitarist as yngwie then you would probably have a big ego too.

Back on topic: scalloped fretboards help an extremely light touch and could help a persons technique a great deal.