I'm doing some research for a friend, and what better place; than UG.

We want a 50watt Orange Rockerverb, but I dk if we should get the 2x12 combo, or a halfstack. If i had to make a decision now, I would say the 2x12 because what I've come to believe is that a 2x12, if loud enough, can project as well as a 4x12.

any opinions welcome !
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
it depends on the cab, it doesn't matter so much of the dimensions of the speaker and amount then how much it can take.
Sam-Jacob
um, most people think because you have 4x14 youre bad ass. not true.

you actually need less stage volume. "you'll learn that by a mixer guy or by time"

the mic does all the work, as long as you're tones are feeling and sounds good.
Sam-Jacob
It would be v30s either way, so it's really just is 4 worth the money
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Well apparantly, and according to a gear *****/tone *****, 412s give better bass respsones due to the enclosure being bigger.

so...thats all I have to say.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
i'm not sure what sam jacob is going on about......anywho

the 4x12 will give you more total projection, which leads towards more overall sound. however, the difference in the 2x12 and 4x12 in smaller club settings is pretty negligible. you are going to mic'd, and wont be able to blare the rockerverb anyways....as it is beastly loud. i would say go with the 2x12 combo, as it will also be much easier to transport to and from band practices/gigs, and will be easier to handle in practice situation volume-wise.
Quote by CrushedCan
Well apparantly, and according to a gear *****/tone *****, 412s give better bass respsones due to the enclosure being bigger.

so...thats all I have to say.

Not just bass response, they have a different tone.

I think an oversized 2x12 is a good compromise, better bass response than a standard 2x12 and still smaller than a 4x12. Won't sound exactly the same, but it's what I would get if I was doing the head/stack thing.

Jacob: Learn to use the edit button? kthxbai
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by acdcrocks0323
But 2x23 is better

wtf kinda combo comes in a 2x14?
or 2x23..
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
I think the jacob guy just can't type, acdcrocks was just being a nerd
I play with a 2x12 cab and like it alright. It doesn't have quite the same fullness or response as a 4x12, but it's much more practical and easy to move around for practices. I'd go for the 212 unless you can really say to yourself that you need a 412.
no
head + 2x12 cab please.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by acdcrocks0323
That's me.

Just kidding.
a 2x12 allows for good portability with killer sound. I'd love a 4x12 though, but my 2x12 Recto is by no means a slouch in the sound department.
The volume difference between a 4x12 and 2x12 is minimal. If you want that full 4x12 sound, go with a ported 2x12 like the G-Flex or a Vader 2x12.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by forsaknazrael
What 4x12" are you guys looking at?

read the thread much?
Quote by mcrfobtai
I prefer a 2x12 but I live in an apartment and have to frequently use the subway system

are you referring to the stairs of the apartment? or the noise level? Because a 4x12 is BARELY louder than a 2x12

Known fact.
I think he meant that it's easier to transport and takes up less space in his apartment.

As far as it being less loud if you use a 50 watt in a 1x12 and then a 100 watt 4x12, it's basically twice as loud with a +9 db increase, assuming the same speaker sensitivity. So you can say there's little difference between a 2x12 and a 4x12 and a 50 and 100 watt amp, but you can actually get some considerable loudness differences between the variations.
Last edited by pak1351 at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
are you referring to the stairs of the apartment? or the noise level? Because a 4x12 is BARELY louder than a 2x12

Known fact.

Yeah, portability
since i live the country side away from anybody that cares how how loud play i'd take the 4x12 but since you live in a apartment a 2x12 should suffice.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The volume difference between a 4x12 and 2x12 is minimal. If you want that full 4x12 sound, go with a ported 2x12 like the G-Flex or a Vader 2x12.

Exactly. A high quality, ported 2x12 will sound every bit as large and punchy as most 4x12's on the market. If you have some money to spend, look at the EarCandy Buzz Bomb.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Exactly. A high quality, ported 2x12 will sound every bit as large and punchy as most 4x12's on the market. If you have some money to spend, look at the EarCandy Buzz Bomb.

Quote by Kendall

I wouldn't say punchy as a 4x12. With a ported cabinet you lose a lot of tightness, but you do get more low end which thickens up the tone making it sound big.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio