Poll: HSS or SSS
Poll Options
View poll results: HSS or SSS
HSS
16 59%
SSS
11 41%
Voters: 27.
I plan on buying an American Strat in the near future, but I have a dilemma. Do I get an HSS or SSS configuration. Any input would be nice.

edit: I play, blues, classic rock, alt-rock, maybe some reaggae, ska/punk. I don't play anything too heavy, maybe a Metallica song here or there at most.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Last edited by dubstar92 at Dec 7, 2008,
what kind of music do you play, or what kind of tone are you after?
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
i think everybody questions this when they buy a strat, i know i did.

what do you play? is the main question, do you really need a humbucker??
I was in the same spot as you when I was looking for a strat, it basically came down to the genres of music that I wanted to play (not that a good single coil witha peddle can't play them as well). I went with the HSS, don't regret it at all.

Sounds nice playing Metallica and what not. Main thing is though, do you like the sound of the Humbucker over the Single coil (O.o)

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

I say go with the HSS it gives you more versatility in sounds. I never use the bridge pickup when I play SSS strats simply because the strattiest tones come from the middle and neck pickup.

(PS when you take the pickguard off of a lot of the good SSS strats there's enough room cut out to put in a humbucker you'd just have to get a new pickguard)
UG's Prodigal Son
Get a Swineshead A.M.P. humbucker and have a coil tap switch or push/pull pot. Now you've got both a true bridge humbucker and a true bridge single coil.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.