So I've played bass for awhile now, and I should probably know what playing in the pocket is. No one has ever been able to define it for me, they just say things like "lock in with the drummer" and "groove" and so forth. So can anyone come up with a good definition for the phrase? Or maybe some recordings of good pocket playing is as opposed to being out of the pocket? I think this would help a tremendous amount of bass players, myself included.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
basically what it's saying is that you're playing very conservatively, mostly sticking to root notes and intervals that sound good with the other parts of the song-- no fancy runs, solos, crazy slaps and pops or tapping, just simply providing a solid foundation for the band to rest upon and letting other instruments make the melodies. If you listen to most mainstream rock and alot of pop music, this is what you'll hear-- think AC/DC, Blink 182, Nirvana, Jimmy Eat World... you can find examples in any genre.

An example of not playing in the pocket would be like Victor Wooten or the bassist from Rancid.
I always felt when a bvass player is playing in the pocket, he is synched up with the drummer in a very tight manner which gives the guitar players a strong basis to grow on.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god