I just wondered if you could help me in buying a first guitar for my 9 year old daughter. She has never played before and we know nothing about guitars. I have been told an electric guitar is better to start with. We have about 200.00 to work with. Thanks
Get a starter pack
They kinda suck but its a start

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
Quote by killerscorpion
Get a starter pack
They kinda suck but its a start

true statement. I would recommend getting her an acoustic to start off with. toughen up her fingers, give her the rock solid stamina necessary to rock out later on. thats how nancy wilson of heart started, and she's damn good. and she played on some crappy acoustic lying around the house.
A starter pack, you could probably get one for around $150.

edit: I recommend acoustic for first guitar though.

edit2: Do not let her use a forum on this site called The Pit.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Last edited by dubstar92 at Dec 7, 2008,
it's better to start with an acoustic like masterp666 said, it builds finger strength so when you do decide to move to electric anything you can play on acoustic will be way easier to play on electric
Acoustic at first. Quiet, can be played anywhere, and very mobile. It will accelerate finger strength and build tough fingertips quick. When she moves to electric, if she does, it will be like walking on air, extremely easy to play.
Get her OLP Axis. They're kinda ugly but they play and sound better than any other starter guitar.My dad got me one when I was 9. It has a small neck that fit my hands perfectly when I was 9. They're about $200 new, but you can get them used for $100. They're a fairly popular model.
UG's Prodigal Son
acoustic will do.

i recommend nylon. maybe she will be interested in classical guitar.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
people reccomend acoustic. and its true you will have stronger fingers and form yadda yadda yadda. heres the downside. unless shes into acoustic music electric is a lot more appealing to most people. i know guys who have picked up acoustic and never gotten into it because they just like electric more.

i would reccomend an electric starter pack. i got the squier one and i still play that guitar everynow and then. however in comparison to the ones ive seen lately mine might as well be a fender...
Quote by 51VH50
people reccomend acoustic. and its true you will have stronger fingers and form yadda yadda yadda. heres the downside. unless shes into acoustic music electric is a lot more appealing to most people. i know guys who have picked up acoustic and never gotten into it because they just like electric more.

i would reccomend an electric starter pack. i got the squier one and i still play that guitar everynow and then. however in comparison to the ones ive seen lately mine might as well be a fender...

i know those people to but comeon its not like she lisens to heavey metal right
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
I hope you see this because I have your answer.

You are in the same boat I was in just three months ago. My ten year old little niece just got a guitar for her birthday in August. She never played before except for just strumming my guitars. Now, three months later she plays most open chords, has some bar chords down and has written about three or four complete songs. How? She was given the perfect guitar for a ten year old girl. The Ovation Applause AE128:

- $199, exactly what you are looking to spend.
- it has a super shallow body so it is not cumbersome for a little kid to handle
- the neck is the smallest neck around, perfect for little hands
- it is good looking, get the red and she'll love it
- it is both acoustic and electric, take her to a studio and let her plug in and pretend she's Hannah Montana
- set it up with the extra light gauge strings and she'll have no problem doing bar chords
- the sound is actually really nice. I have three thousand dollar guitars hanging on my walls and we all shake our heads in wonder at the sound and playability of this $199 little thing

Take her to any guitar store, put the Ovation Applause AE128 in her hands, and you'll see it is the perfect guitar for a little one. Just swap out the strings to Adamas extra-light gauge for the hands that don't have the strength we have.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ovation-Applause-Series-AE128-Super-Shallow-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-516976-i1392763.gc
Acoustic guitars are better to start on. Because 1 the frets a harder to press making her fingers stronger 2 you could find a better started acoustic than a starter electric and it would cost the same or cheaper. My fist acoustic was 150 and is better then any started pack.
I'd say start acoustic to build up finger strength but if your daughter is... Well... Completely and totally intolerant to ANY sort of pain what so ever, I'd say electric. When you start out playing is going to hurt your fingers, acoustics generally hurt more. If she can take it then by all means start acoustic.

I'd say call guitar center, buy a $150-$200 starter pack. If she keeps playing though, expect her to want more gear 24/7 after about two, three, maybe four months
Quote by 51VH50

+1 for getting her an electric. I fall into that category of uninterested in acoustic. Had I not been able to switch over to electric so quickly from acoustic I probably would've quit a week or two in to playing.
get her a guitar she can hold.

take her shopping with you.

try some.

my 6 yr old neice still has problems lifting her daisy rock, and she's tall for her age.
i know you said 9. but she needs to be comfortable holding it.

and remember than 3/4 scale guitars are very hard to keep in tune.

and that most of the tone will come from her amp (micro cube #1)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011