I know both being good would be best, but read this...

I currently have a beginner crestwood guitar. (hardy har har).

I have already purchased and am waiting for an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White).

I have a decent/good guitar now, i guess i would say.

I have currently a 100$ amp from the store. Its not tiny, its not huge, its OK.

100$ for people that live in Bermuda is about 70? for Americans.

So will my les paul still sound better then my crestwood guitar even on a trashy amp? or will i get basically the same sound because the amp is lame?..

thx in advance
It's going to sound better, yes. But you should buy a decent amp next instead of another guitar.
Quote by Mecler
It's going to sound better, yes. But you should buy a decent amp next instead of another guitar.

Yeah i knew even before a new guitar, i was going to get another amp.
The amp has more to do with tone than the guitar. For instance:

A Squier Strat played through a Fender Blues Jr. will sound better than an American Standard Strat played through a Frontman
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Oh Yeah I Have the epi Lp Custom and a crappy 15 watt fender starter. You can tell the difference and the playability on the Les Paul compared to the Guitar you have now will be phenomenal.
Most guitarist ncludign one famous guitarist, Clapton satriani EVH or someone and myself all agree, the amp is more important then a good guitar. Playing A CRAPTAR through a REAL (non MG) Marshall can sound like a good guitar, but play a Gibson LP through a Spider III and itll sound like.... bad.

Capish?
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

good guitar = easier to play
good amp = easier to sound good.

pick which matters more. haha
hope that helps i know it wasnt much.

the new les will sound better but most likely not a very noticble ammount. the biggest difference will be in feel, pickups (sound), and the overall build.

a new amp will have you sounding like a million bucks. atleast it did for me. lol
Quote by 51VH50
good guitar = easier to play
good amp = easier to sound good.

pick which matters more. haha
hope that helps i know it wasnt much.

the new les will sound better but most likely not a very noticble ammount. the biggest difference will be in feel, pickups (sound), and the overall build.

a new amp will have you sounding like a million bucks. atleast it did for me. lol

I get yah

i do mess up alot on my current crap guitar, so maybe since my les paul is better i would play better anyway, so itl balance itself out
amp. makes you sound much better. and learning on a **** guitar makes you amazing on a good one
^^ Very right. Since you got your new guitar, spend some to get a peavey vypyr or a roland microcube or something. Size doesnt matter when you are starting out. A 15w or even a 30w is perfectly fine starting out. You dont use a 75w in your bedroom at night.
Your amp head and cab or combo you buy next doesn't neccicarly have to be big.
You can have a 30 or 40watt amp head & 2x12 or 2x14 cab.

What kind of music do you play? Oh.. that's another discussion. Private message me
Sam-Jacob
Wrong forum.
*reported*
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
take the 500 USD (lets consider USD's, because i dont know how much is a dollar worth in bermudas) that the les paul guitar cost and get a nice amp.

you probably wont be able to get a tube amp under 1000 USD because the cheap tube amps dont reach south america very often (not even mexico, and we're next to the US) so get a nice solid state amp.

a Roland Cube 20 is the best option IMO. the amp is like 250 USD in bermuda (i suppose) so you could get a decent $250 guitar. I RECCOMEND:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar?sku=519426
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSA60-Electric-Guitar?sku=519536
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Axl-Mayhem-Clutch-Electric-Guitar-?sku=512147
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-EC50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516672
http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000whitegoldhw.html
IMO, the last guitar is the best, but you must order it directly from the web. they arent reatiled by anyone except rondomusic, but its very similar to the LP custom, except that cheaper.

also, if you mess up a lot on the guitar, its not probably the guitars fault, its you playing dirty (no pun intended). try to play things slower and you will clean your playing.

and dont get the Les Paul before a nice amp. you will see how a good amp will make you sound much better than a good guitrar through your sh*t amp. also, higher wattage doesn't make an amp better. between a five watt epi Valve Jr and a 100 watt Marshall MG, the Valve Jr is a better amp.

anyway, the point is, dont waste all your money on the guitar. you can just get this upgrade for you guitar and use all the money forn an amp, and you will like it better.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Dec 7, 2008,
the sound will be a little better. but not a whole lot. my gibson sg only sounds a little better than my epiphone les paul special II through my spider 2. but my playing improved alot on the sg. i would never have been able to learn to sweep on the epiphone. but a good amp is a very important investment. thats why i want a tube amp now.
The sound won't improve much, but the guitar is going to be much more playable. Basically, if you want playability, get a new guitar first. If you want better tone, get a new amp first.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Well if you can play on the guitar better you will sound better. Amp or guitars cant be a substitute for technique and skill, but a better guitar makes it easier if you are having problems.
I've just bought a VOX valvetronix 30 watt amp. I went for the vintage tone version (not metal!) and it sounds superb.

best combo out there for sure.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P