right, so heres the thing.
i've been playing guitar since february this year, and i have an Ibanez RG4EX1, which i play through a line 6 spider III amp. im also getting a Boss ME-50 multi effects processor. although im still a beginner, im starting to play some songs like hallowed be thy name and crazy train. so heres my question: should i get a better amp, like a tube amp, or should i spend my money on replacing the stock pickups on the ibanez? they sound good but im not getting the sounds i really want, whether its zeppelin, pink floyd, or iron maiden. considering that i get the boss, should i next get a tube amp or pickups? any suggestions would be helpful. thnx
Change the amp first. By god, change that amp. If you change pickups and keep playing through that Spider III, you won't hear the difference.

There is no point changing or getting any new gear until you've got a better amp. The Line 6 Spider III is one of the worst amps you can get, so getting almost anything else would be an improvement.

I would suggest looking into the range of 5x-15x combo tube amps that Fender, Orange and Epiphone make.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
hmm, any specific suggestions for an amp? i dont want anything too expensive, but im willing to shell out some cash if its a really good amp. any good tubes for $500 or less? maybe a fender blues jr.?
you can get a Behringer V-tone half stack for around 450..Thats what I got and I love it.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
You already have a pretty good guitar with a decent amp, so I would not get the me-50 and just save up some more money.
Quote by Sicon
you can get a Behringer V-tone half stack for around 450..Thats what I got and I love it.

I reccomend you dont buy anything behringer. In my opinion they are worse than the spiders. Behringers reputation is that they are cheap, unreliable, and sound like crap. I had a behringer once a few years ago. For a very short time. It was junk.
well i dont mind if it isnt a tube amp, im just looking for a powerful, versatile amp, because my playing style is kinda jumbled up. i want an amp that i can use to play pink floyd to zeppelin to dire straits to metallica to iron maiden. im kinda new to amps so i dont know if i can get such an amp for under 500. any thoughts?
Quote by bchig
well i dont mind if it isnt a tube amp, im just looking for a powerful, versatile amp, because my playing style is kinda jumbled up. i want an amp that i can use to play pink floyd to zeppelin to dire straits to metallica to iron maiden. im kinda new to amps so i dont know if i can get such an amp for under 500. any thoughts?

Go to your local guitar shop and tell them exactally what you want and how much you have to spend. You will find something nice for $500.00 dollars easily. Let them point you in a direction, and then just try out every amp in your price range and get the one you like.
I want to say a used Bugera but im not to sure, or if you can find a used traynor.
A lot of people like those Peavey Valvekings. I don't really but many people do.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Peavey Vypyr 100 is around $600 and it is a beast among beasts.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Go to your local guitar shop and tell them exactally what you want and how much you have to spend. You will find something nice for $500.00 dollars easily. Let them point you in a direction, and then just try out every amp in your price range and get the one you like.

^This is it...use YOUR ears...not ours.
Firstly you'll probably get a load of punters flamming the Spider III, ignore them. I play through a DigiTech RP250 pedal into a 15w Spider, but instead of playing into the guitar input, I play into the MP3/CD into jack, you'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" jack to do this, I get a beautiful clean tone as this by-passes the Spider's processing. I use the RP250's Vox AC30 sim and then a select my distortion and delay.

Tty it and see what tone you get.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Line 6 Flextone III or Peavey Vypyr
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
not sure if you can get a used one because its a brand new amp, but
line 6 spidervalve
and im not just saying it because i have one( i do), this is the first time i've recomended it.
Its an amazing amp, and has all the effects you want in it(modeling amp).
You might want the footswitch that comes with it, but your a beginnner so your probably not gigging.
but there $700 new, so im not sure if thats out of your price range.
Anyone who says this amp sucks hasn't tried it, or put an OD pedal in it or something.
Great tone.
1. GET A DIFFERENT AMP MY GOD, L6 ARE TH WORST AMPS EVER.
2.Unless you want to alter your sound,dont change the pickups, experiment with them till you get that perfect sound
3.ROCK.
The UN-exiled one.