Hey everyone i got a new guitar the other day and i have a small problem with it. When i play the open D string i can hear it buzz a little bit. However when i hold down at anyone of the frets the buzz goes away and it sounds fine.

This leads me to believe it may be a problem with the nut, but then again no other string does this so i dont know. Do i need to take the hour ride to GC to get this fixed or is there something i can do to fix this myself?

and by the way here is the guitar, an epiphone les paul

http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim0764yh4.jpg
My pick ups make a rattling noise sometimes. i thought it was the string buzzing.

could be this maybe perhaps?
Most guitars usually have a string that buzzes when you first get them, as they're never really perfectly in tune and intonated and such after shipping, it's not that big of a deal. If you're making posts like this, maybe your best bet is to take your guitar to the music store, drop 20 bucks and let them do a proper setup.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by neojazzical
My pick ups make a rattling noise sometimes. i thought it was the string buzzing.

could be this maybe perhaps?

actually no, and this is kind of weird, but i only noticed this problem one day when i was just strumming the guitar without plugging it into the amp. When i play with the amp on (pretty loud), i cant hear the buzz at all

i dont know how to describe it though because its kind of weird. I just started stumming it again now (with the amp off) and i put my ear close to the head of the guitar and it sounds like the buzz (or maybe vibration is a better word to describe this situation) is actually coming from the tuners.
a little buzz is ok and if its not heard through the amp then there is no problem dont mess with the truss rod with electric guitar strings are fairly loose and hence make a slight buzzing sound with out an amp try picking softer it will go away