I play a schecter c-1 artist and im having trouble with pinch harmonics. Ill rarely get one and it will be too soft or have no sound at all. Could it be that the guitar isnt built for them, my pickup settings, or am i just doing it wrong ?
most likely its your form, but what kind of pickups do you have in it? and have you adjusted their height?
You're doing it wrong. I can yank out harmonics on literally every guitar I've played since getting the technique down. They're one of those things for which your gear will not act as a major inhibitor unless something is very wrong.
no
Got to hold the pick right so and hit the string right. Then just practice, practice, practice...
In the Valley of Vung
Quote by bucky_2300
They're one of those things for which your gear will not act as a major inhibitor unless something is very wrong.

i agree. i've done a pinch harmonic on an acoustic my brother won at the boardwalk

it has plastic frets that are painted gold (well, were painted gold. until i did a bend and all the paint came off)
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Thanks for the replies, answered alot of my questions. When you pick the string do you want to pick kind of upwards (away from the guitar) so your thumb hits the string easier or do you pick normally with a little bit of your thumb hanging off?
Quote by mikeyElite
i agree. i've done a pinch harmonic on an acoustic my brother won at the boardwalk

it has plastic frets that are painted gold (well, were painted gold. until i did a bend and all the paint came off)

Pinch harmonics work on acoustic?
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by mikeyElite

This. Seriously, I love it when someone's playing an acoustic and they're trying to get pinches out. I'm like "Dude that pinch failed!", the response is always "OMG IT'S ACOUSTIC AND LIKE OMG IMPOSSIBLEZ TO DO TEH PINCHEZZ ON!!!one1!!!eleven!hamsandwhich!". No, it's actually pretty easy, if you do it right. They're not gonna be dime squeels but you can get them

To TC, what I did was figure out the form, then I just played my scales and pulled a pinch on every note. It's also helpful to learn how to pinch on an up-pick, too
What I do, I pick normal but I rotate my hand a little more, kind of 'flick' my wrist so my thumb hits string to give me a PH. It will take some practice to get the technique down but this way you don't have to hold the pick any different.
In the Valley of Vung
Just practice your ass off, thats what I did and i've pretty much mastered them. I don't know if I just suddenly (Finally) learned the technique or what. But I noticed a big improvement in my pinch harmonics when I went from my MG to my DSL401.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Pick nearer to the bridge pickup. It's kind of a proper technique thing more than a gear thing
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
there was a lesson on this site that i stumbled upon i forgot where but it was pretty helpful.
plus when you start listening to killswitch engage and BLS you just inherit pinching ability
Nope pinch harmonics are only possible on the Marshall MG Zakk Wylde Mini Stack!
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
^ No other amp can deliver the br00talz necessary to execute harmonics capable of emptying bowels at 40 paces.
no
What I've learned about pinch harmonics
Is that it really depends on where you're doing 'em.

Like say, do a natural harmonic on the 12th fret
and then do one on the 11th or 10th fret.
It won't sound as full or it won't come out at all.
See what I'm getting at?

I found a real nice to do them (playing on the bridge pickup, and w/ gain of course)
Is right above the beginning of the neck pickup.
Just draw out a line there (mentally. haha)

Goodluck man.
And practice, practice!
Quote by huevos

See what I'm getting at?

I found a real nice to do them (playing on the bridge pickup, and w/ gain of course)

Goodluck man.
And practice, practice!

This. It's pretty much exactly how i whip out some br00tal pinchez.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
um, i can pretty much hit a pinch harmonic on any fret on any string cept the low E

my fav strings to do them on are high E , B and G

i just hit the note and dig my thumb down so it touches the string but doesn`t mute it and that gives me a nice sqeal do that and pull the bar up if you have a floyd and it`s pretty wicked.

try doing this for a REALLY crazy harmonic:

pick the open G and touch the G on the 16th fret but don`t fret it, act like your doing a natural harmonic and if you do it right it`ll give you really crazy dime bag like sqeals and crank the bar back if you have a floyd, it`s wicked
Quote by huevos

See what I'm getting at?

Goodluck man.
And practice, practice!

Is that ...a poem? I don't understand your line spacing
-

Quote by dubstar92
Pinch harmonics work on acoustic?

Yeah, they would work any guitar as long as you brush the string correctly, but an acoustic would obviously be much harder to hear.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW