I think I've found it. The only truly good reason I've ever come across for not taking off all the strings at once.

Quote by Lowden's Website
RE-STRINGING YOUR LOWDEN GUITAR

Strings should be regularly changed in order to ensure optimal tone and enjoyment. If your guitar has an under-saddle pickup it is best to change strings one at a time. This helps to stop any small movement in the saddles that may affect pickup balance. Your Lowden guitar is fitted with a pinless bridge and a little care is required to avoid damage to the soundboard caused by the ball end of the string. In order to protect your soundboard place a piece of card on the sound- board behind the bridge. A bend made at the tip of the string will help navigate it through the bridge.

If you were too lazy to read. It's because removing all the strings can allow for movement in the saddle, which can disrupt string balance for an undersaddle transducer.

Well I definitely learned something new today.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Congrats?
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
I'll have to remember that once I get an A/E. I take all of the strings off at once with my acoustic just because i don't like having to mess with pulling the bridge pins out one at a time when there are pins next to them in the way
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
hmmm...
those kinds of websites also tell you not to alternate tune because it'll mess up ur guitar too so im not sure that there advice is the most sound...
i think that they're more interested in protecting their warrantys,
or making sure YOU violate it somehow :p

"I have better things to do...
Like play with my balls."

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

I'm pretty sure I trust the website. Lowden makes(some of the best) guitars that specifically target fingerpicking guitarists(who obviously use alternate tunings). If I can't trust the Lowden guitar site, then I can't trust anyone. But I can, so...
Equipment:

Finally we can answer people when they say "I'm sure I've heard something bad about taking all the strings off at once..."
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
i thought taking off all the strings at once had something to do with tension?

because there is a certain tension maintained on your guitar with all the strings on, you minimize throwing the balance of your guitar off if you only change one at a time. too much of a massive change in tension if you have all of your strings on (especially if they are heavier), and then take them all off.

the less you dramatically change the balance, the longer your guitar will last, and the less frequent you'll have to take it into a luthier to get in fine-tuned. that's why i do it at least.....
^ That's actually a complete myth. I take off all my strings almost every time to clean the fretboard. The acoustic is a surprisingly strong yet fragile creature. Able to pull almost 200lbs of string tension, yet will crack and split when it gets too thirsty. The truss rod in the neck gives the ability for the acoustic guitar to overcome the tension.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
^ That's actually a complete myth. I take off all my strings almost every time to clean the fretboard. The acoustic is a surprisingly strong yet fragile creature. Able to pull almost 200lbs of string tension, yet will crack and split when it gets too thirsty. The truss rod in the neck gives the ability for the acoustic guitar to overcome the tension.

Yeah, but surely the only way to know for certain for YOUR own guitar is to measure the neck relief, remove the strings and measure again. If there is a change in the dip then your particular guitar cannot handle having it's strings removed once a week and you should do them one at a time.

I have a cheap Yamaha acoustic which I have had for fifteen years and up until a year ago only changed one string at a time. The I started taking them all off because its quicker every two weeks and now the neck is warped.

Personally I think it depends on the build quality of your guitar
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
But surely the guitar is made to handle the lack of tension? I mean how would people ever get a refret or other maintenance work done if a guitar can't handle having all the strings removed for a just few hours.
But perhaps people only bother doing such work on higher quality guitars which can handle the tension, so you guys could be right
Quote by avenger86
But surely the guitar is made to handle the lack of tension? I mean how would people ever get a refret or other maintenance work done if a guitar can't handle having all the strings removed for a just few hours.
But perhaps people only bother doing such work on higher quality guitars which can handle the tension, so you guys could be right

To be honest I don't know. My les paul has had a lot of upgrades lateley so the strings have been off and on quite a few times in the last 3 months and it's fine.

My poor old Yamaha aint doing so well now since removing all strings for the last year, but i used to remove all strings once or twice a year to clean and oil the fretboard.so every once in a while isn't a problem.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Does it really make sense that a guitar would warp from LACK of tension? Think about it. The neck isn't pushing itself backwards when the strings are on. It is pushing down to keep the strings from warping the neck.

Maybe your Yamaha just suffered from humidity issues. Acoustic guitars are very sensitive.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Electric guitars are quite a bit different, so I don't think it would be right to compare them. The tension on an electric is much less than an acoustic due to the strings being much lighter.

But I dunno... I know a lot of other people who remove them all at once and have never had a problem. Could it have been anything else?

EDIT: Actually, someone else determined in another thread that a dry neck probably won't warp from lack of humidity. Dry wood is stronger than moist wood. That's why a dry soundboard will tend to sink inwards instead of succumbing to the string tension.

As far as I know... a lack of tension can actually cause warping if you leave the strings off for years(not days or hours though). A truss rod actually supports the neck's battle against string tension by being a counter force.

Maybe we should ask CorduroyEW about this. He's one of the most knowledgeable people on UG.
Equipment:

Quote by Natrone
Does it really make sense that a guitar would warp from LACK of tension? Think about it. The neck isn't pushing itself backwards when the strings are on. It is pushing down to keep the strings from warping the neck.

Maybe your Yamaha just suffered from humidity issues. Acoustic guitars are very sensitive.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I was thinking more along the lines of tension, no tension, tension, no tension - repeatedly and it causes a weakness somewhere in the neck because you may have an area which is going from tension to compression often and starts to fail like bending a paper clip if you see what I mean.

I don't know if anyone else has had this, but the guitars I have all have a truss rod where you turn it one way and it straightens the neck, start to turn it the other way and it becomes loose (presumably because the truss rod is not doing anything at this point) keep going and it will start to increase the dip.

ALL of my guitars have come from the shop or wherever with the truss rod increasing the dip in the neck (and by too much - I like a straighter neck and higher action) and then once they have been setup properly they are in the area where you are using the truss rod to straighten the neck.

So I was also thinking that removing all strings would cause the neck to react in a different way depending on if your truss rod is in tension or compression.

I dunno though - over the years I've asked a few guitar techs (not sure if i would call them luthiers) all have given slightly differnet answers.

EDIT: thanks captivate - I'll ask.
Last edited by cuthbertg at Dec 8, 2008,