Call me a noob, but I was looking at some Ibanez guitars and it looked like it had a whammy bar, but I Read the description and found out it was called a "tremolo bar." So what the f*** is the difference between that and a whammy bar?
"whammy bar" is a "nickname" for "tremolo bar"
I hate my username, it all happened in a rush

████████████████████████████████████████████
Quote by imnotinsane
Call me a noob, but I was looking at some Ibanez guitars and it looked like it had a whammy bar, but I Read the description and found out it was called a "tremolo bar." So what the f*** is the difference between that and a whammy bar?

One's called a "whammy" and one's called a "tremolo."

That's the difference.

Quote by ~Moby Dick~
you can whammy without a whammy bar

I wish this trend would die. Not because it's not hilarious, but because you CAN. It's called a neck bend.
Quote by Survivalism
One's called a "whammy" and one's called a "tremolo."

That's the difference.

I wish this trend would die. Not because it's not hilarious, but because you CAN. It's called a neck bend.

No that is called "FUCKING UP YOUR NECK! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? DO YOU WANT TO SEVERELY DAMAGE YOUR GUITAR? ARE YOU FIVE? MUST YOU BREAK EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH?"

That's what it's called.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
No that is called "FUCKING UP YOUR NECK! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? DO YOU WANT TO SEVERELY DAMAGE YOUR GUITAR? ARE YOU FIVE? MUST YOU BREAK EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH?"

That's what it's called.

idiot.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

That's what it's called.

You tell 'em, ExtremeMetalFTW!

:3
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
"Tremolo" isn't even the correct name for the effect. The proper term for the "whammy bar" is "vibrato arm". I don't even know why people called it a "tremolo", because that effect is a rapid fluctuation in volume, not pitch. So "tremolo" is a nickname that was erroneously handed to the vibrato arm, and, quite sadly, stuck. I prefer "whammy bar", seeing as the vibrato arm's function has evolved far beyond merely vibrato (as it was originally intended for).
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Its not a tremolo arm.
Its a vibrato arm, tremolo is a fluctuation in volume, not pitch.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Originally Posted by ~Moby Dick~
you can whammy without a whammy bar

he's right, its a neck bend, and my friend whom has literally threatened to kill me if i scratched his guitar does it a lot, so i cant imagine it messes anything up too much
Quote by travislausch
"Tremolo" isn't even the correct name for the effect. The proper term for the "whammy bar" is "vibrato arm". I don't even know why people called it a "tremolo", because that effect is a rapid fluctuation in volume, not pitch. So "tremolo" is a nickname that was erroneously handed to the vibrato arm, and, quite sadly, stuck. I prefer "whammy bar", seeing as the vibrato arm's function has evolved far beyond merely vibrato (as it was originally intended for).

according to Wiki you can blam Leo Fender on the reversed meanings.
Quote by crackerpleaz
But vibrato arm sounds much lamer than tremolo bar

It sounds cooler
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by crackerpleaz
But vibrato arm sounds much lamer than tremolo bar

Which doesn't make it any more correct.

But of course, we live in a day and age where it's SO FREAKING COOL to say the wrong things, spell things incorrectly, and if you use proper grammar and spelling, you're OBVIOUSLY a loser who can't just get with the times and do anything cool. I hate our generation.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by travislausch

But of course, we live in a day and age where it's SO FREAKING COOL to say the wrong things, spell things incorrectly, and if you use proper grammar and spelling, you're OBVIOUSLY a loser who can't just get with the times and do anything cool. I hate our generation.

lol
Quote by travislausch

Someone's having a bad day.
Quote by travislausch

;_;

You are a true revolutionary.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools