Page 1 of 2
Quote by ec50playa
is it too loud for bedroom playing

Please be more specific. Tube or SS? Which brand? etc.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Not if you have a sound proof bedroom
omg i have a 50 watt laney and its wayyy overkill for my room.
but if you are as american as i am you'll look inside yourself and realize that there is no such thing as overkill.
so its too loud and not very good right?? would a 75 watt randall combo be better. could i still gig with a 75 watt ss combo??
Generally you don't want to gig with any wattage solid state amp. When you're spending big money on SS amps there is probably a tube amp that will do a better job for about hte same if not lower price (depending on the SS amp price of course).

If you have about $500 and are planning to gig, you like metal, I would recommend a Line 6 Flextone, Randall RG150, Peavey Valveking 50watt combo, Peavey Windsor. If you're really really lucky you might find a 5150, or Mesa F-30.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
dont buy anything off of ebay unless you've heard it before. suprises are not good when it comes to musical equipment.
i was lucky enough to find a laney gh50 (usually 1k) for $300.
and a JSX cab for $250
just keep looking around check pawn shops and music stores in your area before you go buying stuff online.

i've found that amps with more than one speaker sound considerably better. look at randall for sure tho.
im going to tell you something quite extreme. don't even think that you can put something above 75 watts ( be it SS or Tube) in your bedroom and hope that you won't be overwhelmed by the large volume of sound that is going to come out of your speakers without having to spend even more money on additional equipment just to tame it.

this is something off topic, but my opinion is that for bedroom practice, good modelling amps are the best value for money.
yeah modeling is nice
but i love the ability to wake up my entire neighborhood with a single pinch harmonic
Quote by daryle_goh
im going to tell you something quite extreme. don't even think that you can put something above 75 watts ( be it SS or Tube) in your bedroom and hope that you won't be overwhelmed by the large volume of sound that is going to come out of your speakers without having to spend even more money on additional equipment just to tame it.

this is something off topic, but my opinion is that for bedroom practice, good modelling amps are the best value for money.

Honestly, it doesn't matter how many watts a solid state amp is in your bedroom. You can always adjust the volume down to a tolerable level and you won't sacrifice tone. They're not tube amps. They dont' have a volume hump to get over before they sound half-decent. I do agree though, a 50watt tube amp will be too loud to take advantage of in a bedroom; however, it will be usable, and probably won't be half bad with an overdrive. I find it easier to tolerate a tube amp that sounds crappy at low volumes because of how much better they generally sound when you can crank them.

+1 to your second recommendation.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I have a 100w all tube halfstack, and I play it at bedroom volumes. I put the master volume on 0.5 and it doesn't even wake the cat up.

Just depends on what you want, and whether or not it sounds good at bedroom volumes.
I have a 5150 halfstack in my room right now and it sounds alright at low levels. I also have a Vox Valvetronix amp and even at low levels the 5150 sounds better for distorted tone.
I'd say it's a rip off.

No offence. (Not flaming your skills, but knowledge of guitars)
But you seem kinda "green" to guitar

Solid state amps are good for bed room practice because they're decent at low volumes
But crank 'em and they sound like ****.
(at least most of them)
So anything above 30W might just be overkill for bedroom practice.
And for gigging you won't get good tone/clarity out of a solid state.

Tube amps on the other hand were built to be cranked and sound best when they are cranked
They sound ok at low volumes, but best at high volumes.
More expensive, though I'd definitely recommend a tube amp if you have the cash.
and you can probably do small-medium gigs with a 30-50 watt amp.

But if you want good tones at low volumes
you crank the master(or pre) volume to get those tubes really worked up
Amd adjust with your "post" volume

You can also achieve this by buying a distortion pedal
and putting the amp on the clean channel
Then cranking the master and adjusting the volume by the pedal.

Hope that helps man.
Last edited by huevos at Dec 8, 2008,
That stack will either break your widows and let the sound out or explode from all the noise in such a small area. [/joke]

In all seriousness though, if you can fit that through a bedroom door, your going to blow out your ears playing it in that small a space.

As for a smaller combo, budget, genre(s), artist(s) you play like/aspire to/needs from the amp?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
necrosis to answer you questions my budget is prob $500 AUS keep in mind that in america intruments and such are a lot cheaper even after converting the australian dollar. mainly metal. as far as artists go stuff like BFMV, Trivium, Bring Me The Horizon, Parkway Drive etc...
Edit; ^75 will be somewhat loud for bedroom practice, but otherwise it should do well.

Quote by ec50playa
necrosis to answer you questions my budget is prob $500 AUS keep in mind that in america intruments and such are a lot cheaper even after converting the australian dollar. mainly metal. as far as artists go stuff like BFMV, Trivium, Bring Me The Horizon, Parkway Drive etc...

Hmm...then I'd recommend one of these;

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/kustom/stage/dual35dfxcombo.html - Kustom's a good brand, and 35 SS watts is good enough for smaller gigs.

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/kustom/stage/quad100dfxcombo.html - Basically the above if you really want the 100-watted-ness that bad.

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/orange/cr30r.htm - Orange is a bit better a brand than Kustom IMO, and this has two channels and decent wattage, and apparently for 30 watts Solid-state it's effing loud.

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/randall/RG-230SC.htm - Randall's a name in metal, and this has stereo speakers + 40 watts.

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/peavey/index.htm - Pick some Peavey's and call for prices; most Peavey's are fairly priced and good amps, at least in the US, they may be different overseas, I'm not sure, but from what I know their not, so call, get some prices and see what Peavey's you can afford here I'd say.

Hope that helped.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
thanks necrosis. My school has a few peavey amps. The big one (100 watts i think) is pretty nice and my guitar teacher approves of them too. I played a randall a few weeks ago that was pretty good but ive never played any orange amps, they didnt complrehend to me as something that would be decent for metal.
I play a 100 watt valve amp in my tiny bedroom with no problems. It doesn't sound too bad either.

There is a thing called the 'volume' knob y'know...

Just don't buy that Orange Crush someone posted.
Orange isn't really voiced for modern metal, and their solid states sound pretty bad considering the price.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Horlicks
I play a 100 watt valve amp in my tiny bedroom with no problems. It doesn't sound too bad either.

There is a thing called the 'volume' knob y'know...

Same, I love mine, very easy to control the volume.
If your not gigging and gonna be using it the bedroom then you DONT need a 100watts and DONT need a half stack. Use the money to buy a much better lower wattage amp. Kustom makes good stuff but I just sold a 30 watt kustom tube amp because it was to much for home use. A practice amp is much easier to move around and takes up alot less space in a bedroom.
There is always Marshall MG's.

*Puts up FlameShield*
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by MESAexplorer
Generally you don't want to gig with any wattage solid state amp. When you're spending big money on SS amps there is probably a tube amp that will do a better job for about hte same if not lower price (depending on the SS amp price of course).

If you have about $500 and are planning to gig, you like metal, I would recommend a Line 6 Flextone, Randall RG150, Peavey Valveking 50watt combo, Peavey Windsor. If you're really really lucky you might find a 5150, or Mesa F-30.

It's funny the contradiction here. You tell the TS that he doesn't want a SS amp to gig with for any reason, but your first 2 suggestions are both SS amps. Solid state amps are OK to gig with if you have a decent quality one that doesn't sound like **** cranked. Also if you don't have the technical knowledge to troubleshoot your amp if something is wrong. Or if you don't have the money to replace tubes or any of the other maintenance that a tube amp takes.
But they both have 150watts. They're going to be about 20% louder than the randall 75watter he wanted, thus being suitable at gigging volumes.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I've had 100 watt SS amps and 100-120 watt tube amps. For bedroom playing my tube amps always trumped my SS amps even with the volume crutch. With the right settings and a good OD pedal anything is possible with a tube amp at any volume. Even more so if your playing metal just heat up the preamps and your good to go. Metal is little (aka mesa) to no power amp saturation depending on the amp if you own. So I can get full out metal tone from .5-1.5 and not have any issues with loudness.

Now that said is a SS more convient.... Hell yea it is... Just sit down, turn on and jam. No sweet spot and re-eqing needed per the volume your at, no waiting for tubes to warm up, sounds the same at any volume, no issues with cabs and impedance, super durable, and best of all if you worried about volume you have a headphone jack..

So SS is a clear winner in the bedroom amp battle.. But never count out a 100 watt stack if you are looking for better tone and dont mind the hassles. In the end get the amp you want and the one you can deal with on a day to day basis...
Quote by Deep*Kick
Orange isn't really voiced for modern metal, and their solid states sound pretty bad considering the price.

I disagree, some of the rocker series amps has some pretty modern voicings. But you're correct in that $500 AUS will not get it done with an Orange.
I just bought a Peavey Windsor half-stack, 100 watts all tube. It's an A/B deal, with a texture control that backs off the power (I can't really speak "electronics" well) so that it breaks up nicely at low volume. I got all that I needed with the master volme at "2".

It would wake up your parents or room mates, and depending on how close you are to neighbors, them too.
100 watt amps don't break up at low volumes, you're just cranking the preamp gain.

Unless it has one of those Peavey built in Attenuator deals? I thought they only came on the Studio.
Don't get your panties in a bunch I didn't call you a liar, I was just asking if the Winsdor had a built in attenuator since you said you could back off the power and get break up at low volumes.

It was just a question, don't worry the world is not out to get you.

edit: and exactly what was the point of the article?
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 8, 2008,

Use it.

And yes, I chose the biggest image I could find.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by MESAexplorer
Honestly, it doesn't matter how many watts a solid state amp is in your bedroom. You can always adjust the volume down to a tolerable level and you won't sacrifice tone. They're not tube amps. They dont' have a volume hump to get over before they sound half-decent.

Yeah, they do. It's not as extreme as with valve amps but the amp at whisper volumes won't sound as good as it is when it's louder and actually pushing some air.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Page 1 of 2