Ok, for Christmas I'm going to be getting money from my entire family (including extended) to put towards a new amp. I need something that will be quiet enough to play in my room, but also loud enough to play at a smallish church in the youth band we will be starting. I desperately want a tube amp to replace my crap SS Frontman 15G. Yeah, the one that comes in the Squier Affinity pack.

I love blues/blues rock, country, classic rock, island/beach music (think Jack Johnson, Bob Marley), and of course Christian Rock (Relient K, Stellar Kart, etc).

I've had my eye on the Blackheart Handsome Devil, but would 15w of tube be too loud for my room? It has overdrive controls. Would that allow me to get drive at lower volumes? It might be too quiet to play a show with, but I could always mic it, right?

I need some help. I've been trying to gather all kinds of information for months, and every time I ask the question Blackheart comes up because of the quality to price ratio. But I really just need something that will sound good and give me good tube distortion at low and high volumes. I'm much less of an amp noob than I was a couple months ago, but I just don't have a good enough ear to tell what is good and what isn't at GC right now.

I'm in desperate need of advice. I may be looking for something that doesn't exist, but if I am I need to know so I can look at other amps.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
how much money are we talking?

no 15w tube isnt too loud especially if you arent looking for intense gain.
i have 50w tube in my tiny ass room and its fine.
yes you could mic it at a show providing the venue has a p/a
It would be loud enough to gig, it might not be totally clean though, just depends on how loud you're playing.

If it's got a master volume then it should be alright in your room, don't expect to be able to turn it up much though, 15 watts tube is very loud cranked.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
1000th post.....

AHEM

MARSHALL MG 100 HDFX!!! THE OVERDRIVE IS CRUSHING!!!!!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Haha. Haha. Ha. If that was truely your 1000th post, you just totally wasted it. It really isn't funny.

I'm going to get a sub $500 amp. I might not get exactly enough money to buy it purely from Christmas funds, but I have about $400 in my dresser drawer for reserve funds. What is left after the purchase is going in savings once I get a job.

So, the vibe I'm getting is that if it has master volume, I'll be able to get good tube overdrive sound at bedroom volumes?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I have the Handsome Devil, I've had the combo, I just traded in for the head version.

The 15W/7W switch is absolutely awesome when you're practicing. If you want great cleans at a lower volume, I usually lower the drive and volume and go for the 15W side (less break up that way), and if I want more gain without making my ears bleed I go 7W with the volume and drive up. It's a really versatile amp, and it's EQ is more effective than people say, however if you want anything higher then hard rock or some punk, you'll need an EQ or overdrive pedal.

You'll get a great sound, and if you get a 4x12 or 2x12, you can probably gig without a mic. I have yet to try that out though, the last time I gigged with the combo I mic'd it up just to be sure.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
^ Thanks! I've been hoping I could get some advice from someone that already has the amp! I don't plan on anything more than hard rock, so that sounds great for me! Thanks!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
^ Thanks! I've been hoping I could get some advice from someone that already has the amp! I don't plan on anything more than hard rock, so that sounds great for me! Thanks!

No problem, just make sure to try before you buy (if you can)!
I've played the Little Giant version.
Stock, it's just alright. You'll want to get some different tubes in it, though. The stock ones are rather fizzy and gross sounding.

BTW, sweet BP avatar
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ Lol Thanks

Unfortunately my local GC is a bit of a joke. They have almost no amps. It is actually a rather small store.

I think I'm going to go with the HD. I'll get it and play it for a while, then head to GC to try the Blues Jr. If I like that better I'll send back the Blackheart, but I'll probably just stick with my first purchase.

Thanks for all of the help guys!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by darkarbiter7
I've played the Little Giant version.
Stock, it's just alright. You'll want to get some different tubes in it, though. The stock ones are rather fizzy and gross sounding.

BTW, sweet BP avatar

The Little Giant is what it is, and the Handsome Devil is a much better amp for the money, actually.

Of course, new tubes in any stock amp will help it sing.
My local store has a TON of weird, unknown amps and new, weird, and used gear, it's awesome. It's a diamond in the rough for sure, there's no other music store I've ever been to that's even remotely like it.

It's where I got my BH.
Thanks guys! Glad to hear that I'm not going to buy a pile of tube powered crap!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'm sure the HD is even nicer than the LG.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I still say my 1000th post was epic....
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I still say my 1000th post was epic....

My 9001st post will be epic. I plan on making it before my 2nd UGversary.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Darkarbiter.... you make my existence here on UG worth it!
Quote by Natrone
So, the vibe I'm getting is that if it has master volume, I'll be able to get good tube overdrive sound at bedroom volumes?

Negative ghostrider.

If you turn down the master but turn up the other volumes you won't get that overdrive sound you're looking for. You have to turn up both to get it.
I am the Infantry.