Hello,

I am going to be in the market real soon for a new guitar! I looking to spend around $2500-2700 on a new solid body electric. I have kind of narrowed it down between a 08 Gibson Les Paul Standard or a 08 Paul Reed Smith CE22. I have owned to Gibsons before and i absolutely love them. I really like the new additions to the new 2008 LP Standard, the new locking tuners are great and the neck feels good and weight is not a issue anymore with the chambered body!

The Les Paul standard is amazing and i was real set on it until i came across a really nice PRS CE22 at sam ash. It was amazing, it felt like the perfect blend between my old Les Paul and SG 61R! I really liked the maple top with the rosewood fretboard and the Dragon II pickups sound good! Appearance wise, the PRS is gorgeous, it was a special edition CE22 in a desert burst with bird inlays on the rosewood! But i honestly know nothing about PRS, it was only the second iv ever played besides my friends McCarthy Semi-Hollow PRS which is amazing as well! Also the PRS has a Tremolo bridge, which is a huge deciding factor for me, because i have never owned a tremolo before and i am unsure if i will like it in the future.

I really want the Les Paul, its a safe choice for me because iv owned one before and loved it. But the PRS CE22 is amazing in every way, but i am unsure about the Tremolo bridge.

Guys if you have any suggestions or advice please chime in!.... Thanks!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Stratocaster
Taylor 210 Dreadnought Acoustic
Bogner Alchemist 40w 212 Tube combo
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
If you are looking at those guitars? And have owned the guitars you mentioned, you dont need anyones help or advice. You know what you like. But i would go PRS over Gibson if it was me.
PRS!!! the only prs(se singlecut) i played was only $700 and played as good as anything i've ever touched.
LifeSucks
PeopleDie
F*ckTheWorld
LetsGetHigh
The more you spend on a guitar dont always make it better. I think with Gibson you pay alot for the name.
Quote by PixieDust13
you should really invest half of that in a better amp.

I have a Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 now. The equipment i have listed in my sig is like 3 years old. I need to change it... My apologies!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Korg Pitch Black
Quote by zuckuss00
I have a Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 now. The equipment i have listed in my sig is like 3 years old. I need to change it... My apologies!

I would say buy a real Marshall amp. Vintage. You already have awesome guitars...
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
You could buy a sickening custom ordered Carvin CT6 with that much money. Out of those two I'd go for the PRS.
i'd go for the PRS over the Gibson.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Taniel_24
I would say buy a real Marshall amp. Vintage. You already have awesome guitars...

Yeah! Marshall's are amazing and are most sought after amps for a reason! But i am very fond of my Line 6! I got a great deal on it!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Korg Pitch Black
Quote by zuckuss00

no really dude. you still arent doing the les paul custom justice by playing it through the spider valve. and vintage marshalls arent that hard to find. hell, id take a fender twin reverb over a spider valve.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
^ You make it sound like if Twin Reverbs sucked, lol.

Spend some money on a new amp man.

I bought my Elitist before I got my Rivera...and I plugged the Elitist into a SpiderIII. The day I got my Rivera...which can be heard when the master volume is at 0, lol...I really cried of how beautiful the sound was which served my LP the rightfully deserved justice.

Not like your current guitars suck...they're awesome man.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
If you are looking at those guitars? And have owned the guitars you mentioned, you dont need anyones help or advice. You know what you like. But i would go PRS over Gibson if it was me.

+1.

I think if you're spending big bucks like that, this decision should be all on you.
I'd go for the Gibson over the PRS any day, but as you already have a Gibson LP Custom I'm not sure what you're gaining by having a second guitar almost exactly the same except for a few cosmetics...unless you just want a second color!
Have you considered getting a used Gibson LP Historic? With this economy you can find them mint condition on ebay or craigslist well within your price range w/ all the case candy and everything and IMHO they're leaps and bounds above the regular standards. I personally wouldn't buy a Gibson unless it was a custom shop historic.... Try out a 58 or 59 or even a 60 reissue at your local shop first then search for a used one.
I'd really consider trying out a few different amps too...that'll make as much difference as a new guitar...if it ends up that you are happy with what you have then thats great, but you might find a new amp suits you more than a guitar.
I think what's most important is to get something that you love!
Good luck!
Quote by kyates33
I'd go for the Gibson over the PRS any day, but as you already have a Gibson LP Custom I'm not sure what you're gaining by having a second guitar almost exactly the same except for a few cosmetics...unless you just want a second color!
Have you considered getting a used Gibson LP Historic? With this economy you can find them mint condition on ebay or craigslist well within your price range w/ all the case candy and everything and IMHO they're leaps and bounds above the regular standards. I personally wouldn't buy a Gibson unless it was a custom shop historic.... Try out a 58 or 59 or even a 60 reissue at your local shop first then search for a used one.
I'd really consider trying out a few different amps too...that'll make as much difference as a new guitar...if it ends up that you are happy with what you have then thats great, but you might find a new amp suits you more than a guitar.
I think what's most important is to get something that you love!
Good luck!

I dont have my LP Custom anymore, i sold it about 2 years ago, I just have my Gibson SG 61 Reissue, ill never sell it! As for my Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 combo, its absolutely amazing, the preamp tube HD100 head sound so great and doesnt overheat at all. I could have bought a Marshall DSL100 head/cab combo for nearly the same price as the Line 6 Spider Valve combo, it was so impressive i took it without second thought of a Marshall. The difference between the Spider Valve HD100 and those Spider III series amps are night and day!

Anyways, back the my guitar situation, i dont own my LP Custom anymore! I am looking to replace the one a sold with a 08 LP Standard or a PRS CE22. I am still unsure on the tremolo bridge on the PRS otherwise it would be a done deal purchase! I would love to pickup a PRS McCarthy II (Perfect guitar) but its a little out of my price range.....
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Korg Pitch Black
Quote by RR787
^ You make it sound like if Twin Reverbs sucked, lol.

Spend some money on a new amp man.

I bought my Elitist before I got my Rivera...and I plugged the Elitist into a SpiderIII. The day I got my Rivera...which can be heard when the master volume is at 0, lol...I really cried of how beautiful the sound was which served my LP the rightfully deserved justice.

Not like your current guitars suck...they're awesome man.

The Spider Valve is actually a very good amp. it's not like it's Spider III cousins.

Anyway, I'd go for the PRS. You've already got Les Pauls, why not go something different
Quote by tigerking615
The Spider Valve is actually a very good amp. it's not like it's Spider III cousins.

Anyway, I'd go for the PRS. You've already got Les Pauls, why not go something different

I dont own my Les Paul anymore! I had to sell it a couple years ago, that why i am looking to buy a new one, until a played a PRS! Now im all indecisive....
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Korg Pitch Black
get the 08 standard
it'll last ages
they have better qc on the 08s because of the plek and the fact they're new.
i played one and it was amazing.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
play a your spider valve against a marshall JCM or JTM, or a fender twin reverb. maybe a mesa boogie dual rectifier would suit you more. you will understand then. i have owned a spider III and played many spider valves, i was even concidering buying one till i played REAL tube amps, not modeling ones.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Didnt know you didnt own the lp custom anymore...was just going by your sig.
I'd still go for the lp standard over the prs, no question...but that's my personal taste. I'd really look into a used custom shop gibson first though. If you're happy with your amp then stick with it.
You should go with what you like best. Thats what counts!
Good luck!
I went with a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus, in a Desert Burst finish! Picking it up tomorrow! Cant wait!!!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Korg Pitch Black
Quote by PixieDust13
you should really invest half of that in a better amp.

Yes. I probably would
Quote by zuckuss00
I went with a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus, in a Desert Burst finish! Picking it up tomorrow! Cant wait!!!

wouldn't have been my first choice.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by zuckuss00
Hello,

I am going to be in the market real soon for a new guitar! I looking to spend around $2500-2700 on a new solid body electric. I have kind of narrowed it down between a 08 Gibson Les Paul Standard or a 08 Paul Reed Smith CE22. I have owned to Gibsons before and i absolutely love them. I really like the new additions to the new 2008 LP Standard, the new locking tuners are great and the neck feels good and weight is not a issue anymore with the chambered body!

The Les Paul standard is amazing and i was real set on it until i came across a really nice PRS CE22 at sam ash. It was amazing, it felt like the perfect blend between my old Les Paul and SG 61R! I really liked the maple top with the rosewood fretboard and the Dragon II pickups sound good! Appearance wise, the PRS is gorgeous, it was a special edition CE22 in a desert burst with bird inlays on the rosewood! But i honestly know nothing about PRS, it was only the second iv ever played besides my friends McCarthy Semi-Hollow PRS which is amazing as well! Also the PRS has a Tremolo bridge, which is a huge deciding factor for me, because i have never owned a tremolo before and i am unsure if i will like it in the future.

I really want the Les Paul, its a safe choice for me because iv owned one before and loved it. But the PRS CE22 is amazing in every way, but i am unsure about the Tremolo bridge.

Guys if you have any suggestions or advice please chime in!.... Thanks!

Get the PRS. PRS is better than Gibson. Better Quality Control, great sustain, amazing playability, and just overall sex.

Besides, the Tremolo isn't floating, so you won't lose much, if any, sustain.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.