ok so there are a couple of used guitars for sale that I might look into buying. they are all epiphone les pauls, but one of them is a custom, and the other two are standards (I think standard plus). the custom is selling at 350, one of the standards is 325, the other 350. so if they were all to be in similar shape, which would be the better buy? I know I should play them all to know which is better but I wont get the chance to...so that is why I come to you.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Custom
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
The custom, especially if it's only 25 bucks more.
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
Quote by DeltaFunk
Custom

I heard people say Custom, but people also say the only difference is Customs are prettier, but pickups and construction are the same.

Even though the black epiphone custom looks aaaaaaaaamazing!
Yeah, the custom just looks nicer.
-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
oh ok. in this case, the custom is white (which I prefer over black...) and one of the standards is some kind of burst going from red to yellowish and it has a flame top. does anyone know what the flame top is made of?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
The flame top one is a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus.

Quoting www.musiciansfriend.com on the flame top:

"Flamed maple veneer over carved top"
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
so is this veneer in the middle going to make it sound worse or better than the custom?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
so is this veneer in the middle going to make it sound worse or better than the custom?

Absolutely no audible difference. Wood has minimal tonal impact in the first place, I don't think a half inch sheet of maple will do much.

Get whatever you like the look of best.
actually one of the guitars is not a standard. it looks just like a standard, but it is a classic...that is the one with a flame top...

edit: so its one standard plus, one classic plus, and one custom.

the custom is white, the standard plus is sunburst from orange red to yellow w/flame, and the classic is almost the same as the standard except it doesnt have pickup covers and it doesnt come with a pickguard...

I think the standard is the only one with a case, and is selling at 350. the classic is selling at 325, and the custom at 350.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Last edited by fifer at Dec 8, 2008,
I'd go Custom or Standard plus personally. Love pick guards =D
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by Rock Pig
Absolutely no audible difference. Wood has minimal tonal impact in the first place, I don't think a half inch sheet of maple will do much.

Get whatever you like the look of best.
What. The. ****.

Wood has a huge tonal impact. Play an LP with a plain maple top and one with a solid flame maple top. The difference in tone is very clear.

And veneers are much thinner than half an inch. Usually they are around 1.5mm, depending on the species of wood and if they're going on a flat or curved top.

Though you are right that when it comes down to a veneer, the sound then will hardly change.

As far as Custom vs Standard goes, for Epi they're exactly the same. The only difference is the Customs have gold plated hardware which rubs off onto the rest of the finish in the first few months - not good.

THe Alpine White ones with gold hardware sure do look fantastic, but in the long term I think the Standards are a better buy.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.