Hi guys,
I was wondering what you would recommended for a fairly new guitarist (been playing for less than a year).

Preferably $250 maximum.

I wanna do mostly strumming, rhythm, singing... not so much finger-picking.

Something like a Jason Mraz.. John Mayor kind of tone..

I'm considering the Alvarez RD20S and the Yamaha FG700S (or 720S). I can't really decided between the two (and whether or not the Alvarez worth the extra $50). I would appreciate other recommendations.
I'm really considering the FS720S, also.

Thanks!
Last edited by MiNiDoggy at Dec 8, 2008,
well, dude, both guitars are good starters, but if you want a true Mayer tone, see if you can get a Strat of some make. not necessarily Fender (Johnson and Squier make ok makes), but it'd be worth the buy. a Strat is, arguably, the most versatile guitar out there...
Quote by dark_rider92
well, dude, both guitars are good starters, but if you want a true Mayer tone, see if you can get a Strat of some make. not necessarily Fender (Johnson and Squier make ok makes), but it'd be worth the buy. a Strat is, arguably, the most versatile guitar out there...

*sigh*

I believe he's referring to JM's acoustic sound from his Martin OMJM. If you want a sound like that find an OM size guitar and tune it down to C.

As to you current choices, I would suggest the Alvarez, because after owning both, I think it's a better guitar.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
i personally really enjoy the fg700s for strumming .. very nice clean sound .. although i do perfer the fg730s which has rosewood back and sides which gives the strumming more bass i havent tried the alvarez
take it easy man .. its just a thread