Hey guys, I'm still a beginner trying to learn "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz.

I found a tab that gave a link to the video here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eujAKmx3oGw

And I'm having some trouble how he's muting the strings perfectly at each "beat". When I try to play it, the open strings (high E for example) keeps ringing, because it's not fretted and I'm not putting a finger down on it or lifting it off.

It doesn't look like the guy in the video is doing anything special either, but he cleanly cuts out all the sound after strumming and goes into the muted strum part (beats).

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
Quote by SnoDog
And I'm having some trouble how he's muting the strings perfectly at each "beat". When I try to play it, the open strings (high E for example) keeps ringing, because it's not fretted and I'm not putting a finger down on it or lifting it off.

You are supposed to put a finger on the strings but just not fret it so that it mutes. Just press the strings enough to stop it from ringing out, but not enough to fret. Strum and then release the chord while still touching the strings.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Cool, thanks for the quick responses guys, and that riff Justin is playing/teaching in that video is amazing!!! I must learn it!!

I'm working on the song right now with the techniques you guys mentioned. It's pretty tough to get used to it, but I can kinda start to see how it's working!!

Thanks again guys, if anybody else out there has tips, feel free to chime in as well!