Page 1 of 3
That's right. What piece of gear(be it guitar, bass, amps, effects etc) do you believe to be a big rip-off. Like the company never even tried.

Note, I said rip-off, so for example while the squire strat may be a ****ty guitar, it is still only ~$100.
However, the marshall MG stack is 400 or so, and sounds like ****.

Personally, even worse than the MG is any gibson guitar, their quality controls are horrible and for a guitar well over a thousand they sure don't play like them.
Gibson takes the first place by a very very long shot
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Last edited by mitch311 at Dec 8, 2008,
y Can someone explain to me y do u think Gibson is soo bad. I have a Gibson faded and im happy with it.
Fail on the Gibsons, the VOS line of les pauls are some of the best guitars I've ever played. And definitely the best on the market.

For me, I think the Marshall reissue of the JTM45 is pretty damn lousy.
Jellifish pick. It's a gimmick if I ever saw one. COMPLETELY useless.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Quote by punkman_123

ROFL! this, win.
ESPs?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Marshall MGs (need I explain?), SS Line6 Spiders over 15w (too loud for bedroom playing, sound digital etc etc), Peavey Valvekings (you really shouldn't have to mod any amp over $1000AUD), most non-custom shop Gibsons (htey're OK, but you can get the same basic product for cheaper in an Epiphone), Dimebuckers (muddy and useless cleans, just a way to cash in on the Dimebag name), all Dean Dimebag "custom" models (See second part of Dimebucker statement) and several more.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Any guitar gear in Australia.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Any guitar gear in Australia.

same goes for everything in the UK except laney, afaik.

MIM fenders cost around £400-£700, CIJs cost about £600, MIA can cost anywhere from £1000 to £3000... And it's not just fender that are ridiculously expensive - we've just gotta live with it.

i will say that for £150 my rocktronic amp was AMAZING value though. Worst value would probably be the Digitech Whammy - it's a £120 novelty item, unless you're tom morello.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
any kit that uses "made in america" as a reason to cost more... because americans make stuff better than everywhere else? yeah right!
Thank you please.
A local amp tech here wants 75 euro (like 100 bucks) for a simple biasing job that takes 10 min. Teh hell?
WTLTL 2011
Quote by deadlydunc
any kit that uses "made in america" as a reason to cost more... because americans make stuff better than everywhere else? yeah right!

that's not an excuse to cost more - it's to make up for the fact that americans won't work for peanuts. the same could be said for british built gear, outside of the UK it costs a fortune.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by punkman_123

haha, i got one of those (without trying it).
its pretty cheap though, like 5 bucks. something to mess around with i suppose.
biggest rips other than the obvious mg's and overpriced gibsons are lower-end signature guitars. like if someone has a line of signature guitars, the low-end versions of it are always a rip (jem555, js100, etc. are overpriced imo)
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Blompcube

MIM fenders cost around £400-£700, CIJs cost about £600, MIA can cost anywhere from £1000 to £3000... And it's not just fender that are ridiculously expensive - we've just gotta live with it.

i will say that for £150 my rocktronic amp was AMAZING value though. Worst value would probably be the Digitech Whammy - it's a £120 novelty item, unless you're tom morello.

MIM's have gone up ever since the credit crunch. They used to be like £280. And MIA's I've found some for around £700/£800 still, though I have also saw some American standard's costing around £1000.
Quote by AdamDK
MIM's have gone up ever since the credit crunch. They used to be like £280. And MIA's I've found some for around £700/£800 still, though I have also saw some American standard's costing around £1000.

internet prices?

i'm talking about in-store prices, i don't shop on the internet for guitars because you don't know what you're buying on the net.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by al112987
Fail on the Gibsons, the VOS line of les pauls are some of the best guitars I've ever played. And definitely the best on the market.

Funny.
Play a Morgaine, Huber, or even something as simple as a Framus and say that again with a straight face.

I don't think Gibsons are rip offs, at least not in general. The SG Standard is a good guitar for a reasonable price. Whether the historic reissues and various LPs are worth the money... you'll have to decide it for yourself. The really good Gibsons (rare as they might be) are worth every penny I believe.
Epiphones are rip offs, I haven't played one chinese Epi that was good so far. The price is too high for the crappy current quality. Old Korean ones are good though.
Quote by Horlicks
Ibanez JEM.

I don't think so, it's the only Ibanez guitar made with that neck profile (which I prefer infinitely to the Wizard/Wizard II necks), the stock pickups are very nice (although I doubt I'll keep them much longer), the EdgePro is a very nice trem and incredibly stable with a stud mod. It handles all the Holdsworth/Garsed style stuff I do (I used do alot more of it) very nicely.

Throw in that I got mine brand new with a locking stud mod and professional setup for about €700 less than they retail new in Europe (and at that, less than they sell for used), I would have been stupid not to buy when I had the opportunity I had.

Other than that restringing is a bitch (any floating bridge is the same) and that the trem bushings need to be replaced every so often (any Ibanez trem is the same bar the ZR), I have no complaints.

And that handle is very useful at times, the guitar is balanced perfectly about it.

To be honest, I think the worst rip-offs are actually usually cheaper products that are aimed at beginners, MG stacks, etc.

Oh, and PRS guitars. They've made sme beautiful guitars, but charging Suhr/Anderson prices for production models is ludicrous.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by jymellis
dean dime guitars.

thank you! i knew i was forgetting something fairly obvious beginning with D when i said "digitech whammy". That's what i was forgetting - these are so bad Dean resigned from Dean.
Rig Winter 2017:

umm yeah all Epiphones. i have had like 3 and and played many others. there freaking garbage. Dean guitars. Gibsons are way overpriced and way over rated. if you want a nice Lp LTD EC-1000 deluxe, and tokais are really nice. im sure there is more. musiciansfriend.com and.... renters insurance because if your house catches on fire and your guitars are destroyed, they somehow expect you to go running in the flames looking for the receipts on the gear that you are trying to get re-imbursed for..... and they have to be the original receipts.... and epiphones.... oh i already said that.
Nothing has it all

Bury the place Ive been

I fear theres a way out

Touch Of Red

In Flames

people that talk sh*it about epiphone and then praise ltd. um ltd is to esp what epiphone is to gibson jagoff!
Gibson...not because they aren't great guitars...just because they are overpriced and over-rated.
Quote by Blompcube
Worst value would probably be the Digitech Whammy - it's a £120 novelty item, unless you're tom morello.

eh.
there's worst pedals that cost more
if you know how to use it tastefully the thing is damn awesome and useful =]
Quote by Bristlehead
eh.
there's worst pedals that cost more
if you know how to use it tastefully the thing is damn awesome and useful =]

cough toolbassline cough justin chancellor cough fifthupoctaveup
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by jymellis
people that talk sh*it about epiphone and then praise ltd. um ltd is to esp what epiphone is to gibson jagoff!

your right coolguy but LTD play wayyyy better than EPI-crap....yet another tool with 2 years playing experience and his poor family got him a cheap epi so he feels like he has to defend them lol.
Nothing has it all

Bury the place Ive been

I fear theres a way out

Touch Of Red

In Flames

Strangely enough, I don't find Gibsons to be that bad at all. hen I had mine it played like a dream, and then when I got an Epi I found the playibility was so much less that the Gibson. Of course that is just my personal opinion. I find my 300$ Raven LP played 10 times better than the Epi I had, but then again I've heard that the QC on Epi's are extremely varied and when you do find a nice one, it kicks serious ass.

As far as the Dean Dime guitars, I have one and I find it plays great. Yes I got it on sale so I didn't have to pay what it would have cost, but it still plays great for me.

Another thing, the Epi LP Specials weren't too bad either, but again the QC on Epi's are messed up. I had a special as one of my first guitars and it play great for me, fixed an issue with the electronics and it worked fine for a year or two before I sold it.

MG = ****, I will agree with that. Same goes for the Spiders, I have played a few and they all were nothing more than overpriced practise amps.
item i believe to be the biggest rip off?
the U.S. Government
... or hospital "care"
which is worse. $200 for a hammer no one ever sees or..
$10 for 2 asprin
Quote by _Sanitarium_
item i believe to be the biggest rip off?
the U.S. Government
... or hospital "care"
which is worse. $200 for a hammer no one ever sees or..
$10 for 2 asprin

well played sir.... well played
Nothing has it all

Bury the place Ive been

I fear theres a way out

Touch Of Red

In Flames

The Gibson Zakk Wylde series. $5,000 for a slow playing Les Paul with EMG's and a paint job. Ive got a FAST playing Ibanez RG2EX1 with a beautiful black and white paint job and aftermarket EMG's for $500.
Quote by Blompcube

Cornford.
Elixer electric strings. Sound like crap and cost 4 times as much. The coating also comes off.
Quote by macjac
Elixer electric strings. Sound like crap and cost 4 times as much. The coating also comes off.

^^This & the fact that they'd always break on me before they'd even be streched.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
the new Randall Kirk Hammett KH120rhs SOLID STATE half stack. £549. crayzee...
Quote by snaredrum
the new Randall Kirk Hammett KH120rhs SOLID STATE half stack. £549. crayzee...

That's nothing. Check out Pritchard SSs.
Page 1 of 3