I've been playing guitar about a year now but still haven't grown calluses on my fingers. I play alot, usually 2-4 hours a day. Lots of times it can greatly exceed that. So I've been looking up how to speed up callus growing so i've already got rubbing alcohol for my fingertips and i'm doing lots of bends on the Higher strings but then I just realized a dilemma. For my school gym class I have to swim and am in the pool atleast 40 minutes and to grow calluses i'm suppossed to keep my hands as dry as possible. Any solutions anyone can think of?
You can play fine, right? If so, why do you need your fingers to be more callused?
Stop worrying - you 're looking too hard. You're not going to develop masssive growths on your hand, not long term anyhow. Those scabby callouses appear right at the beginning because the skin on your fingers is soft and not used to the guitar.

The longer you play two things happen - you stop pushing down so hard so there's less wear on your fingers, and the skin toughens up a bit so it becomes more resilient but it's not really visible as callouses.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
sometimes you cant see the callous, like me for example, i cant see the callous on my left hand.
dont think too much into it, growing callous is a passive thing.

WARNING: I WILL NOT BE HELD RELIABLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS FOR THIS:
but if you really want to strengthen it then how bout putting it on fire? i have never tried it but i hear it works, just light a candle and put your finger tips on it
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Last edited by akm_202 at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by akm_202

but if you really want to strengthen it then how bout putting it on fire? i have never tried it but i hear it works, just light a candle and put your finger tips on it

Haha - don't try this at home kids!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well the whole time I've been playing I usually play on the lower strings so it doesn't hurt too badly. But the times that I'm playing on the higher thinner strings my fingers can really start to hurt. Thats one reason I wanna grow some thick calluses. And right now I'm trying to avoid the fire thing because I've heard of that too but I think I'll save that for if they just positively wont grow. So is swimming not gonna harm my chances of growing some thick calluses enough to where I should worry about it?
Dude, you're fine. At my callous "peak" as such I was swimming every day, playing guitar all the time (at the beach, in the streets, at home, at the pub etc). I got a sweet tan, but more relevantly, I had permanent string ridges in my fingers. HARDCORE!

As for fingers hurting at higher frets, that's hand strength, as opposed to finger callous awesomeness. Just keep playing, there's relevant strengthening drills up here if you wish, it will come in time.
Soundcloud
Quote by alo81
Well the whole time I've been playing I usually play on the lower strings so it doesn't hurt too badly. But the times that I'm playing on the higher thinner strings my fingers can really start to hurt. Thats one reason I wanna grow some thick calluses. And right now I'm trying to avoid the fire thing because I've heard of that too but I think I'll save that for if they just positively wont grow. So is swimming not gonna harm my chances of growing some thick calluses enough to where I should worry about it?

Look, you're not going to "grow" callouses, they're not f*cking mushrooms

Just keep practicing, as long as you're playing regularly the skin on your fingers will gradually toughen up,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by alo81
Well the whole time I've been playing I usually play on the lower strings so it doesn't hurt too badly. But the times that I'm playing on the higher thinner strings my fingers can really start to hurt.

lol they won't toughen up if you avoid using them just play until it hurts and then stop and have a break - you'll find it takes longer and longer for them to hurt if you keep practicing, and eventually you'll realise it doesn't hurt anymore. As long as you stop before your fingers blister or start bleeding they'll toughen up quick enough.
every night, before you go to bed and are done practicing, do repetetive bends on the high e string until you simply cannot do them anymore.

and make sure you don't do anything that will contradict callous development, i.e. use hand creams/baby oil, also don't pick at the callous as it develops.

if you want, you could buy a gripmaster with callous builders on it.
lol you can't just tell your fingers to grow thicker skin. just keep playing guitar and if there's pain it'll go away - the swimming doesn't do anything your skin will toughen no matter what
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Quote by Luigiman124

Hahaha - that is AWESOME.

From the reviews:
"Gripmaster it was painful for the first few days, but I had noticeable calluses after two weeks and now after one month, they're quite significant (I can hardly feel the keys as I type this)"

" I keep meaning to learn guitar, and I wanted to get some calluses for when I eventually have time to learn, and this product certainly has given me those."

"I'm sure it helps with guitar fingering. I can hold my strings with relative ease. Now all I need is to learn to play it like a pro."

You heard it here first folks! If you couldn't be bothered playing guitar to get callous' get this piece of plastic instead! For an easy price not only will you recieve MANLY HAIRY BALLS callous', you may gain the ability to PRESS A STRING DOWN!!!!!!

Unfortunately, this won't affect your playing ability, in any way. Although you mayn't be able to feel a keyboard.
Soundcloud
Quote by alo81
Well unfortunately, if you really want to have monster calluses, playing guitar until your fingers hurt is the way to go.
Play your instrument for about 8 hours straight, or until your fingers are pretty darned raw. Get a bowl of bowling hot water and pour loads of salt in. Add fingers.

Disclaimer: Don't do this.
Some people dont like this idea but it worked for me...

I would wash my hand and soak my fingers in water for
a few minutes before i played. You fingertips will dry out
and they will get tough really quick.

Its only temporary though..the tough skin can peel off.
It will make playing a little more comfortable. Callouses
come with time.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by alo81
I've been playing guitar about a year now but still haven't grown calluses on my fingers. I play alot, usually 2-4 hours a day. Lots of times it can greatly exceed that. So I've been looking up how to speed up callus growing so i've already got rubbing alcohol for my fingertips and i'm doing lots of bends on the Higher strings but then I just realized a dilemma. For my school gym class I have to swim and am in the pool atleast 40 minutes and to grow calluses i'm suppossed to keep my hands as dry as possible. Any solutions anyone can think of?

Why rubbing alcohol?

I have very thick callouses on almost all of my fingers and I can't feel my fingertips all too well anymore.

However, when playing upright bass, I kept developing blood blisters, no matter how thick my manly callous was. The trick is to dip your fingertips in methylated spirits (denatured alcohol with some methanol thrown in for good measure) every night. Try not to go overboard, or you'll have callouses so thick, you can't feel anything.
Quote by leephan
^Why the hell did you bring this thread back from last year?

Yeah good question dude

Damn i could of sworn it was a new thread, it was right up the top bolded

I didnt even look at the date, lol.

My bad, and im from adelaide too
Guitar FTW
ive been playin guitar for a wile now and i donthave callasus and im fine cuz u just stop for a min then start again