I picked up an Ibanez gio tonight. Yes, I know it's a cheapy. I got it for my son for Christmas. Paid 15 bucks for it. Neck is straight and it isn't beat up. 2 humbuckers, and a 3 way switch.

It needs strings, and 2 tuners are slightly loose. I'm looking at the headstock, and there is a hole where the rod would go but nothing there. I can't find any info on the guitar to tell me if it's supposed to have one. I've tried serial decoders with no luck. Google search hasn't turned up an exact match yet either.

I'll post some pics if necessary tomorrow but does anyone know if it's supposed to have a truss rod?
No, you can't just "buy" a truss rod.

Likewise it's kind of tricky to remove one without destroying a neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
As others have said, it should have a truss rod.

As for serial number decoders, you probably won't be able to find one that will tell you more about your guitar than where it was made. Most brands don't have (public) records of their serial numbers and if they do, they're usually a) not very detailed b) for their high end models.

If you want more info on your particular guitar, go to the Ibanez site and check out their catalog collection. If you've found your guitar in one of the catalogs, you can look it up on their parts list for more detailed information.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Yeah, the serial gave me the plant is made in...

I didn't get out a light or anything, but I can't see any truss. Just a hole. The guitar is in great shape. I wonder how you would even take it out. I removed the neck and there is no hole at the bottom. Just the one exiting at the headstock. I'll continue to try to find the exact model and find a parts list or something.
Previous owner may have broken off the tip
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
No, no, the GIO Line guitars all have truss rods, they're just deep in the neck. You need a long allen wrench to get down there.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Cool. I bought some strings today. Threw them on. Got the neck straight via the truss rod(it was down in there like Justice4AllOne said. Adjusted action and intonation and it's playing pretty well. I couldn't crank the amp as the g/f is asleep so I'll see what she sounds like tomorrow.

Not bad for 15 bucks + some TLC.

Btw, I think I did ok on this. This is actually the first time I've put strings on by myself. And of course the rod adjustment. Doesn't seem to be that bad of a job, just time consuming.
I just bought a 7-string version of that guitar, but it was labeled as an RG7321. I'm trying to figure out if it is or not, and, like you, no serial number identifiers I've found can tell me what it is...
Quote by Slayerdeath
ya it has a truss rod

if yours doesn`t have one, i guess you can buy them, i`m sure the neck will warp in a second if you put strings on it with no truss rod

I am right now in the job of remodeling a Gio, just unmounted the neck and it has NO TRUSS ROD i repeat, IT HAS NO TRUSS ROD. You don't necessary need one to the neck not to warp, the wood on it is good quality (Or at least this one is lol), and, remember... Just because it says Ibanez it doesn't means it's the Coca-Cola in the desert.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
what brand of strings did you buy???!!?!
gear
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
ESP LTD H-207 (seven string)
Roland Cube 30X
ibanez ijx-40 starter
I have the GRX20 as well, and am planning on putting on thicker strings, so I need to adjust the truss rod to compensate. I'm having the same problem as you did. The stupid allen wrench that came with the guitar can't seem to move the truss rod. Do I just have to go out and buy a bigger one?
Quote by Line6
I am right now in the job of remodeling a Gio, just unmounted the neck and it has NO TRUSS ROD i repeat, IT HAS NO TRUSS ROD. You don't necessary need one to the neck not to warp, the wood on it is good quality (Or at least this one is lol), and, remember... Just because it says Ibanez it doesn't means it's the Coca-Cola in the desert.

LOL , Thats pretty funny!

your guitar HAS A TRUSS ROD. All guitars have some mechanism to take strain off the neck from the strings. There may be some guitars pre 1935ish that didnt, but not these days. They all have truss rods.

The only exception that i am aware of is the tension free neck on some ibanez usa custom models in previous years.. these are far superior, but not related.
- Kramer Stagemaster
- Kramer Pacer Custom 1
- Ibanez USA Custom EW
- Jackson SlatQH Soloist
- Martin D-41
- Breedlove artist
- Marshal JVM410 w/1960a 4x12
- PodXT live
15 bucks? dude, thats like £7.50!
Where the **** do you get a guitar for £7.50??!
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
I go through these like cheap sox but dollar for dollar had to beat when you find a good one. The on I'm currently playing payed 65 bucks then made em repair nut, intonation and action - deal. I've played Fender and Gibsons and about ten years ago fell in love with these cheapo's. My Ibanez acoustic is also fantastic (AW CRLG 1050).

Anyway this Gio (strat) needed a truss rod adjustment after I tuned it down to D. Simple Metric Allen wrench inserted at headstock will do the trick. Carefull!!! Less is more so don't over do it.
I bought a GSA60, and now the low E string is falling out of tune quickly. I will play a song, then have to tune it. some of the frets sound out of tune also. I think I need to tighten the truss rod, but I don't know how much, because I've never done it before. I am afraid to do it, because I don't want to break my $200 guitar. any ideas?
Quote by MAliddle
I bought a GSA60, and now the low E string is falling out of tune quickly. I will play a song, then have to tune it. some of the frets sound out of tune also. I think I need to tighten the truss rod, but I don't know how much, because I've never done it before. I am afraid to do it, because I don't want to break my $200 guitar. any ideas?

Now, first of all you need to make your own thread, rather than bumping one that originally died a peaceful death back in 2008.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!