First off, I didn't put this in the relationship thread cause that thread seems to be people asking specific questions and I didn't wanna spam it up with this. But something got me thinking, and I want to hear what your thoughts are.

I see a lot of this on UG, but unlike metal-elitism, this is something that actually occurs in the real world. Why oh why do people invest so much into relationships so soon? And why are so many people only happy when they're in relationships? Being happy with someone and being upset when it's over is normal, but it shouldn't be the only thing that controls your moods.

"I used to be depressed. Then I met my girlfriend. We've been dating for a week. I'm happy now and will continue to be happy until she dumps me... at which point I will once again become a sad sack of potatoes."
"What about your music? Your other hobbies? Your circle of friends? Your education?"
"NO! NONE OF THAT MATTERS! THE GIRL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MY UNIVERSE!"

At first I thought, "Meh, the majority of UGers are in their mid-teens, so it's somewhat understandable." I mean, I used to be the same way when I was that age. But then I took a look around myself. Right now, I have friends that range from 19 all the way up to the lower 30s and they (almost) all do the same thing! A couple months into a relationship, it's, "Oh my god. I am completely and totally in love with this person. This is who I am going to marry."

What?

You barely even know a person after two months.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a quick word of advice to everyone: Before you declare yourself completely and totally head over heels in love with someone, and before you emotionally invest too much, wait for that feeling of 'new-ness' to go away. Once that new relationship excitement wears off, you'll get a decent understanding of how "in-love" you two really are. Otherwise, if you two turn out to be incompatible, you'll end up trying to smash a square peg into a circle-shaped hole (and that was not a euphemism for sex, I promise). Also, if you're only happy when you're in a relationship, and you're completely incapable of being happy when not in one, you've got some issues you need to sort out on your own and no girlfriend or boyfriend is going to be able to fix that for you. But hey, though I may state a lot of stuff as fact, most if it is all my humble opinion. What do you think?

tl;dr: seriously? this is an internet forum. you're expected to read things. stop being so lazy.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
its more of a statment you have made than asking us what we think
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
^I know. Agree? Disagree?

Quote by BerryTree
i read through it in 30 seconds.....and it kinda answers its own question

Yeah, I know it does. It was more me making a statement than anything else.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich
^I know. Agree? Disagree?

Yeah, I know it does. It was more me making a statement than anything else.

it has to do with the vasopressin genes of the male, and the oxycotin genes of the female, that makes us fall in love and eventually stop us from falling in love.....biologically, its hard to make love last forever.
Quote by Novacane...
I agree that you should stop making threads.

Sick burn, dude.
Banging on a trash can
Bitches ain't nothin' but trouble.

I dunno, if you find that real special someone, I guess then you do change.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
If you got a relationship problem then there's just one cure...

Use uR zApPy gUN lIKe PiEuw Piew PeIEuw !!!
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Quote by BerryTree
it has to do with the vasopressin genes of the male, and the oxycotin genes of the female, that makes us fall in love and eventually stop us from falling in love.....biologically, its hard to make love last forever.

Ugh, why does science have to **** with everything?
It always ruins the illusion, it's like deconstructing and analysing a movie, who cares?
It was a good film till you screwed with it
Agree.

I've known mine for about 4 1/2 years... I think it's safe to say we really are in love.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by BerryTree
hello fellow black musician

hi
Banging on a trash can
I agree. What annoys me is the people who have a new partner every month. They go on and on about that person and how madly in love they are with them, while I sit there thinking all the while, "You do realise you'll only dump them within the month before moving on to someone else the next day, right?"

I once got so fed up that I said that out loud and they went BALISTIC. Then they dumped the person.
XIAOXI
Quote by BigFatSandwich
First off, I didn't put this in the relationship thread cause that thread seems to be people asking specific questions and I didn't wanna spam it up with this. But something got me thinking, and I want to hear what your thoughts are.

I see a lot of this on UG, but unlike metal-elitism, this is something that actually occurs in the real world. Why oh why do people invest so much into relationships so soon? And why are so many people only happy when they're in relationships? Being happy with someone and being upset when it's over is normal, but it shouldn't be the only thing that controls your moods.

"I used to be depressed. Then I met my girlfriend. We've been dating for a week. I'm happy now and will continue to be happy until she dumps me... at which point I will once again become a sad sack of potatoes."
"What about your music? Your other hobbies? Your circle of friends? Your education?"
"NO! NONE OF THAT MATTERS! THE GIRL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MY UNIVERSE!"

At first I thought, "Meh, the majority of UGers are in their mid-teens, so it's somewhat understandable." I mean, I used to be the same way when I was that age. But then I took a look around myself. Right now, I have friends that range from 19 all the way up to the lower 30s and they (almost) all do the same thing! A couple months into a relationship, it's, "Oh my god. I am completely and totally in love with this person. This is who I am going to marry."

What?

You barely even know a person after two months.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a quick word of advice to everyone: Before you declare yourself completely and totally head over heels in love with someone, and before you emotionally invest too much, wait for that feeling of 'new-ness' to go away. Once that new relationship excitement wears off, you'll get a decent understanding of how "in-love" you two really are. Otherwise, if you two turn out to be incompatible, you'll end up trying to smash a square peg into a circle-shaped hole (and that was not a euphemism for sex, I promise). Also, if you're only happy when you're in a relationship, and you're completely incapable of being happy when not in one, you've got some issues you need to sort out on your own and no girlfriend or boyfriend is going to be able to fix that for you. But hey, though I may state a lot of stuff as fact, most if it is all my humble opinion. What do you think?

tl;dr: seriously? this is an internet forum. you're expected to read things. stop being so lazy.

Most people don't like being alone. End.
u ever been in a relationship buddy?
if so maybe then you're the weird one
and u dont have a soul and ur heart is made of ice
I agree 100 percent with you.

It kills me watching my friends piss their life away with this bs.
Quote by Durell, spelt like Derrell but pronounced Durell
Can I get yo beautiful ass numba?
Quote by Spazzy212
u ever been in a relationship buddy?
if so maybe then you're the weird one
and u dont have a soul and ur heart is made of ice

He's talking about how ppl rush into relationships and the complications with that. Please read before posting.

Quote by evening_crow
He's talking about how ppl rush into relationships and the complications with that. Please read before posting.

Have YOU ever been in relationship? Because, in the history of every relationship ever in life, that's EXACTLY what they say at first.
No woman, no cry, no problem.

/thread
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Quote by Survivalism
Have YOU ever been in relationship? Because, in the history of every relationship ever in life, that's EXACTLY what they say at first.

Quote by evening_crow
...I've known mine for about 4 1/2 years... I think it's safe to say we really are in love.

Once again, read.

I want to marry my girlfriend who I've been with for about 3 months. I've known her for six years though, does that make it different to you?
Quote by evening_crow
Once again, read.

Rhetorical much? Besides, you only go on to prove my point. Everybody thinks they're in love, their relationship is different. Everybody. Sometimes they are. They usually aren't.
Quote by Survivalism
Rhetorical much? Besides, you only go on to prove my point. Everybody thinks they're in love, their relationship is different. Everybody. Sometimes they are. They usually aren't.

That's... kind of the point I was trying to make. Kind of.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by Survivalism

Who is anyone to tell someone they're not in love?
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Quote by fretsonfire74
I want to marry my girlfriend who I've been with for about 3 months. I've known her for six years though, does that make it different to you?

Personally? No. I don't know you, so I wish you the best.

But for the sake of this argument, I think it's a little bit too early to claim you're ready to marry her.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by Survivalism
Most people don't like being alone. End.

'N this is the truth...even though he screwed up with every other statement he made lol

Everybody wants to be loved. Just some people (like TS) are bitter that no one specific shows them more love than others around him and thus prepares a 10 page essay on "Why you shouldn't love anyone because you're gonna dump him/her right away."

But don't worry, dude. There's someone for everyone! You'll find love....some day. Unless you kill yourself...no. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts.
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

I liked the circle-square analogy.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Survivalism

Well, to make things clear: yes, we're in love.

Sometimes we know the other better than we even know ourselves, we've been together through many things (sad to say but some of those... well, one might've been dead if it wasn't for the other), and like it was said earlier... humans are biologically predisposed to find a new partner after about 3 years max (same amount of years in which infants are more likely to die and be nursed).*

So why would we still be together if it wasn't for love? I know i didn't mention how we feel about each other, but do i really need to? Doing so might bias my argument, so i'm sticking to physical proof.

*Studied that during my sociology college course, so don't think it's made up.

Last edited by evening_crow at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by Survivalism

Quote by evening_crow

He's talking about how ppl rush into relationships and the complications with that. Please read before posting

What, they say "Please read before posting."?
A know what you're talking about, BigFatSandwich. Most of my female friends are constantly in a relationship, and you always know it's never going to last. Maybe a few months at most. It's quite sad really.
Quote by BloodMoon666
'N this is the truth...even though he screwed up with every other statement he made lol

Everybody wants to be loved. Just some people (like TS) are bitter that no one specific shows them more love than others around him and thus prepares a 10 page essay on "Why you shouldn't love anyone because you're gonna dump him/her right away."

But don't worry, dude. There's someone for everyone! You'll find love....some day. Unless you kill yourself...no. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts.

I've been with my current girlfriend for two years and I have amazing friends. So can we stop with the "no one loves big fat sandwich" assumptions, now? Thanks.
Banging on a trash can