I'm just wondering, how does a 3-piece rock band thicken up their LIVE sound? Let's say it's a rock band with just a guitarist/vocals, a bassist, and a drummer. How do you sound good live without sounding thin?
Full chords as opposed to open provide a thicker sound, then you can always have the bass folow the guitar or vice-versa
Quote by funkynasoo
get a good bass player and have the drummer use alot of symbols. ive only ever played in 3 pieces and we always sound big

*cymbals

Use two cabinets, one on either side of the drummer. That should fill out the live sound more. The bass player may be able to do this too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Get a groove going. If you have every instruments perfectly grooving, it creates the illusion of thickness, because everything is played as a single musical entity.

It basically means, play what is needed for the groove and lay of any uneeded flavours. The key is to play "enough" and not over play.

If someone plays solo classical guitar, it's just 1 instrument. No one will ever say the sound of the classical piece is too "thin". This is because in it's relativity it's a solid piece of music.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
You need to be as tight as a nuns cunt basically. You need a good drummer though, the drummer will really make the sound. I played in a three piece for a school performance of cissy strut (John Mayer's version) and the drummer in my class is amazing and he really filled it out. I tried playing it with a lesser drummer for a bit of a jam before an exam and he was good, but it was lacking something.
Double bass. Lots of it.

/thread.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
yeah, all you need is a good skilled drummer. (i played with a guy once who filled in the sound using a 3-piece kit and just a ride cymbal)

and a powerful bass player.
1 - stay out of each way tonally, make sure each instrument is occupying the right frequency range.

2 - like fretsonfire said, be tight. Make sure you're playing together and locked in to the rhythm. Even the bassist locking in with the snare will make a world off difference, but if the rhythm guitar slots in the same you'll sound great. If your timing's off you'll just sound like a disjointed mess.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 8, 2008,
bass chords
octave pedal (s)
fuzz pedal (not 2 tho!)
dual input guitar (piezo)
7 or more string guitar...

>.>
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
get the guitarist/vocalist to put on a load of make up at all times and get a couple of studio guitarists to actually do the guitar work.....

Oh wait, Green Day have already done that.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

cymbals and more bass!. lets say a very aggressive bassist too. and a more aggressive drummer,.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
also my personal preference, if i play lead in a 3 piece i use more delay cause it fills out the sound better, creates the illusion that your guitar sound is bigger
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
A good drummer, a thick sounding bass, and make sure the drummer uses the cymbals, ALOT.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by Mack56
yeah, all you need is a good skilled drummer. (i played with a guy once who filled in the sound using a 3-piece kit and just a ride cymbal)

and a powerful bass player.

+1

Just look at Rush.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by RR787
+1

Just look at Rush.

Can you really count Rush as your standard three piece band? I mean, really, Geddi or Getti or however you spell his damned name plays bass, keyboard, and sings. Not to mention Niel's drum kit is big enough to have it's own address...

Nirvana would be your standard three piece band, and as much as I love Nirvana, they don't quite fill out like Rush.

At any rate, the point of this post would have to be this:

If you want to thicken up the sound of your three man band, learn to play a lot of instruments, and have a drummer with a kit so big that it has it's own zip code.
The zip code part made me lol

But yeah, we can count Rush in because no one stated you gotta become Neil or anything, just take them as an example(a good one while at it) and take ideas of their playing, how the 3 work all together to sound good and how their songs are written. By looking at various structures of their songs, you can get so many ideas of what to do with YOUR own band, which is the goal of this thread.

/thread
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
A little guitar trick. If you've got a delay pedal set it so it plays 1 8th note after you play but then dies out. It helps with fattening your sound also chorusing helps too but that can get a bit much
Have a guitarist that plays bass with foot pedals. A drummer thats insane. And a bassist that can play keyboard and bass with foot pedals. Do all this at the same time, rinse and repeat
Quote by wjhender
Have a guitarist that plays bass with foot pedals. A drummer thats insane. And a bassist that can play keyboard and bass with foot pedals. Do all this at the same time, rinse and repeat

If they had to recruit anyway, why wouldnt they just get another guitarist instead of replacing themselves?
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

my 2 cents...
Always good to make sure the guitar and bass are e-q'd properly...meaning treble, mid and bass are balance for individul instruments.
A PA to EQ vocals and send some guitar and bass through.
A drummer that knows fills and a bassist that dosen't snap the notes off too early leaving dead air in the bass line.
A guitar player that knows the song.

peace.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
Avoid using nothing but quarternotes in every song ever. There's too many of those types around.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Creative bassist and drummer. I realise that my band has this problem too.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Wall of sound.

Tweak the bass and guitar to fill all the frequencies the (good) drummer doesn't.

Tight playing.

Reiterating what's said above..play tight as mother****ers.

Alternatively don't worry about it and blame it on bad acoustics .
Guitars: Play sus2 and sus4 type chords instead of a typical power chords. Use arpeggios instead of just strumming...add in a little chorus to widen the tone.

Bass: Play groovy and busy melodic lines

Drums: Play aggressively and use fills to fill up space

Listen to RUSH, Alice in Chains, heck Dream Theater for the most part.

Get a midi foot pedal for triggering samples and keyboard FX
maybe a/b/Y multiple amps, different sounds?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
turn the bass up on the bassists amp, tell him to play more counter-melodic-esque basslines, more cymbals, possibly more cow bell
more cow bell

this man speaks the truth
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Make sure you have alot of mids dialled on your guitar. It helps fill the tonal void between the drums and bass giving a richer tonal spectrum.

Don't be afraid to use space too, it can make the whole band sound thicker when you all kick in together.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by KaFuCh
Best 3-piece: Muse!

Except they do have Morgan live. Crafty synth/keyboard ninja.
Personally I got a friends three-piece band to sound like a larger band with this advice;

1. Distorted bass. The clipping makes it stand out more and, to my ears at least, makes it sound "bigger".

2. Lead drums a la Keith Moon or Mitch Mitchell. Seriously, I saw The Who live in November, and while they were epic, even though it's compressed compared to the rawness of seeing them live, they sounded so much bigger with Keith drumming. Having your drummer go crazy on his kit will make you sound a lot bigger.

3. Have the guitarist(you I assume) study Stevie Ray Vaughan. Even when it was just him with a single 12-string acoustic on MTV Unplugged, he sounded fuller than most bands do nowadays.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7