Poll: Eternal life is a
Poll Options
View poll results: Eternal life is a
Gift
42 40%
Punishment
61 59%
Voters: 104.
Okay so i just wanted this discussion to go on. If people would be able to get eternal life, would you call it a gift or a punishment?

I would definately call eternal life a punishment, to never be able to rest, to see your children die etc...

So what do you guys think? Is Eternal life a gift or punishment?
...What!?
depends on your beliefs. if you believe in the places, heaven would be a gift and hell a punishment. on earth, impossible

if you don't, always a punishment for sure.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Last edited by faint_spirit at Dec 8, 2008,
It depends. If you could eternally life in a specific timeframe then yeah I would. But once you're old and frail would you really wanna live forever?
Punishment, the beauty of life is that you can enjoy it, because it'll never be there again. If you live forever, you can do whatever you want, but you can say: "Mmkay, I'll see it tomorrow, I'm immortal, lol."

If you were the only person granted eternal life, it'd probably be a punishment since everyone around you eventually dies.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Whats weird is say in 10,000 years, or... 100,000.. If the world was still here and you were as you are now, wouldnt all your memories fade?

Mind****.
Depends on your mindset.

If you want to live in the same place all your life and do the family thing it'd be punishment having to watch everyone else die, but if you lived your life constantly travelling, never staying in the same place very long, just following the wind, I think it could be pretty awesome.
Gift!

Unless I age. The last thing I want is to end up some stupid old man who pees everywhere.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
If you stayed perpetually around 30 years old, then it would be a gift; but if you had to spend eternity as a frail elderly person, then it would be a punishment.
Wouldn't people get a bit freaked out when your daughters look 120 years older than you are?

If you age then no.

Also, if you live forever, what do you have to live for?
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Depends if your friends and family had eternal life or not. I wouldnt like to live forever. Maybe 500 years. After that, there would be nothing more to see or do.
Quote by macfries
it would suck if you got stuck somewhere and no one knew

I lol'd hard +1
Depends how you would use your "gift" sitting around watching the world change would be boring. putting your mind to the quest of learning everything ever, undertaking vast building projects single handedly or collecting every Bob Dylan record would make it worthwhile
If once you reach your prime physical and mental you maintain that state for eternity, then possibly. If you are able to end your own life though, then yes, because you always have that option, though I would assume that does contradict the rules of this thread.

If you were convicted of murder and received life sentence with no chance of parole, that would most definitely suck.
Depends, If everyone had eternal life, it would be a gift
If it was just you, it would be one hell of a curse
i think it would be pretty cool, especialy if u were born around the time of egyptians or earlier. see humanity grow. Be like a great pharoe, an olypiad, a war hero. so many things you could do and see.

But there is the idea of seeing everyone u love die. But if there were more immortals then it would be groovey, only if you continued to live at about 25-30 years old.
Land of my high endeavor,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart forever,
Scotland the brave
Depends. How would you age?
Normally. You'd be 2025 in the year 2025? Or would you stay the same age at some point?

Would everyone have eternal life? That'd be one crazy party huh?
Hmmm depends.
If you can not die fullstop.So being shot doesnt kill you. Being stapped drowing hanging burned doesnt kill you. And if you got attacked by lions etc they either was scared of you.didnt try to attack you.or they just prefered to be in your copany.
And if you didnt age
Depends.
Cause if that was all ok.Then gift i say.Just dont settle down anywhere. Travel the world.Dont get emotional attacted to anyone.
Fair enough it going to be lonely.But heck you get to see the whole world.The future.
gift.

only if you can choose when to stop having eternal life and if you stay the age you want.
Curse, things would get boring and you would ultimatly loose your mind whether you physically aged or not.
Definitely punishment, you'd see too much bad stuff happen.

Oh wait.

Imagine if you were George Bush.

OMG.

Imagine the looks on the Iraqi's faces when he takes like, 500 bullets.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by imdeth
Punishment. Even if your eternal life was great it would still never end. Which would eventually get really annoying, no?

it would have to end some time, surely
Gift, you would witness so many changes in history and technology. Living eternally has many benefits
Quote by Kensai
You're a sick uncompassionate tool who puts the deaths of animals with subaverage cognitive functions above your own kind.

You're perfect for PETA. Just set fire to a house and you're in.
Quote by imdeth
Then it wouldn't be eternal, would it?

So when the world ends (like, blows up or whatever it'll do ) you'll just be floating around in space for..ever?

I think the people who voted 'gift' need to think a bit more
Quote by sam b
So when the world ends (like, blows up or whatever it'll do ) you'll just be floating around in space for..ever?

I think the people who voted 'gift' need to think a bit more

Maybe the person who gave you eternal life would leave you one way of rest, suicide.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by Demonology
Maybe the person who gave you eternal life would leave you one way of rest, suicide.

That's not what TS said
Quote by frett_ledgend
gift.

only if you can choose when to stop having eternal life and if you stay the age you want.

Yeah that would be awesome.
...What!?
The novelty would wear off. Gift obviously though.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
I would love it. I just want to see the world evolve. I wouldn't mind sitting in a tower and just watching the world for an eternity.
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
Quote by dreamtheater91
I would love it. I just want to see the world evolve. I wouldn't mind sitting in a tower and just watching the world for an eternity.

What when the earth is ruined by global warming etc? Or when a nuclear war kills everything?
...What!?
Punishment.
Living forever would be so lonely it would be unbearable. It would be horrible to see all of your loved ones die. Personally I would not be able to be close to anyone because I would know that every relationship would end up hurting me.
I voted gift. If we mean AFterlife, I mean gift, but if you mean eternal earthly life, punishment.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by Demonology

Ever read that article about us becoming superintelligent gas clouds? That is when we will commit suicide.

Punishment. Imagine living til the end of the earth, and once everything is destroyed, you're just be... nothing, but you're still alive, and enduring the pain of not existing when you're still existing.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt