And it's weird because it's one of those things that I feel I have to do just to prove to myself that I'm not a complete failure.

I have this habit of never finishing things, and adding stuff to my "to-do list" that I've already done just to feel like I've accomplished something, and I am the pro and crastinating if you know what I'm saying.

So question is, how do you get past brutal writers block? And how do you develop characters and plots and background stories into something stable, and not ever changing with your mood?

Advice? Tips? Whatever?

I was gonna post the story, but then it'd be the great wall of text and people would complain, so if anyone even gives a crap, I'll pm or maybe post it here.

Any other writers out there?
Its probably to do with the mood you in at the minute, go do something you enjoy, dont think about writing for a few days then see if that helps
Quote by x_thurston_x
And it's weird because it's one of those things that I feel I have to do just to prove to myself that I'm not a complete failure.

I have this habit of never finishing things, and adding stuff to my "to-do list" that I've already done just to feel like I've accomplished something, and I am the pro and crastinating if you know what I'm saying.

So question is, how do you get past brutal writers block? And how do you develop characters and plots and background stories into something stable, and not ever changing with your mood?

Advice? Tips? Whatever?

I was gonna post the story, but then it'd be the great wall of text and people would complain, so if anyone even gives a crap, I'll pm or maybe post it here.

Any other writers out there?

do what billy corgan did.
Quote by SOADisdabest
Sorry, can't really help with that, but I would like to see the story if you don't mind.

I'll PM it.

EDIT: Berry Tree, elaborate?
Quote by x_thurston_x
I'll PM it.

EDIT: Berry Tree, elaborate?

Lol nevermind its sort of a real life related joke and considering you have a jimmy chamberlain pic in your icon I thought you would understand....

edit : During the recording of siamese dream, billy corgan would go through a long period of writers block and wanted to record everything by himself basically.

may I have the story aswell....
um, try drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity

Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I did this.

You first have to get used to being able to sit down and just write without distraction. Just yesterday i read in an author's website saying that it was the Muse's job to throw out the story at her while her job was simply to focus in front of a computer without distractions and write it down.

EDIT: PM it to me if u please...
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Maybe you can incorporate some things that happened in real life in your story, like funny conversations and the like
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Hey guys if you wanna read it you'll have to PM me your e-mail address cause it's WAAAYYYY over the character limit.

Quote by BerryTree
Lol nevermind its sort of a real life related joke and considering you have a jimmy chamberlain pic in your icon I thought you would understand....

edit : During the recording of siamese dream, billy corgan would go through a long period of writers block and wanted to record everything by himself basically.

may I have the story aswell....

Well I wasn't sure exactly what you were referring to. I thought maybe you wanted me to have an awesome band, get in horrible fights with all the members except one, come back with two new kids and piss off all my fans.

......JUST KIDDING!
Did a bit of writing when was younger.
When ever i got the "wall" i would of left it for a few days. Forget about it. Then read over it. Il pick up on things that can change to make it better and mistakes etc.
By time you finishing reading you will be back in the mood and write. I always only got a couple of pages done at a time. Then had to leave it.
To development chacaters....I sort of greated them on around me. Things i would like to do but will never get to etc. Back ground stories develop as you go with the story. You never want to give it all away at once. Cause it just spoils it. Keep a bit of mystery to the chacaters.

Hmmm i might get back into the writing.
Wouldnt mind reading ya story if possible and good luck with the "wall"
I agree with Martyson, he speaks the truth.

My stories are a completely different dimension and I treat them as complete universes, and write around the main things with details that I envision. When I have the block (which I suffer from greatly at the moment) I'll open the document, read over a paragraph or two to get me into the mindset and think about where I wanna go with it next, then try to put it down.

Of course, sometimes you can't force it. Sometimes you just have to wait to be inspired (or surround yourself with inspirational things) to get some real work done.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
um, try drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity

Sent it to everyone that PM'd me, so check your inboxes...
Quote by evening_crow
I did this.

You first have to get used to being able to sit down and just write without distraction. Just yesterday i read in an author's website saying that it was the Muse's job to throw out the story at her while her job was simply to focus in front of a computer without distractions and write it down.

EDIT: PM it to me if u please...

I know which author you're talking about, just had to say that.

Also, TS, PM the story to me, or just post it in the thread.
Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

I have schizophrenia, I talk to myself,
People startin' to doubt my mental health,
Maybe someday I'll get the help I need,
But till then don't be blamin' mah weed.

*scratches*
Quote by Frewak

It would be painful to eye it out and figure out when the character limit ends and begins, I can e-mail it though....

Quote by x_thurston_x

Sent it to everyone that PM'd me, so check your inboxes...

Reading it right now but might take a while (i'm at work and keep on getting interrupted now and then). So far the content's good, but you'll have to work on your actual writing. I immediately noticed you use a lot of similarities, and while they enhance the story, try not to over use them.

Quote by Frewak

Lilith Saintcrow.

Quote by x_thurston_x
It would be painful to eye it out and figure out when the character limit ends and begins, I can e-mail it though....

Quote by evening_crow

Just a PM will do then.

Lilith Saintcrow

Okay, not who I thought, I've read another author claiming Muse as an inspiration too.
Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

*scratches*
Quote by Frewak
Okay, not who I thought, I've read another author claiming Muse as an inspiration too.

Stephenie Meyer from Twilight? I said "the Muse" ie: inspiration; not Muse.

Quote by Frewak

5000 limit.
It's much bigger than that. I would consider posting but since no one is asking and everyone that wanted it sent an e-mail, it's probably too much of a hassle.

and... evening_crow, examples pls?

I felt like it was overloaded. Like i would re-read it and it felt too busy sometimes. But I didn't know how to break it up or anything.
Quote by evening_crow
Stephenie Meyer from Twilight? I said "the Muse" ie: inspiration; not Muse.

Oh, my mistake, I should have read that better.
Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

*scratches*
If I'm ever writing something and I want to avoid writer's block; I just get up once in a while and go for a smoke or to pour myself a new drink. Not being sober helps a lot.
The television was decorated with an arrangement of empty bottles ranging from cheap beer to over-the-counter Nyquil. An incoherent laugh track played monotonously in the background, sounding strangely distant but serving as a sad, pathetic metronome. The shades were drawn tightly, followed by a thin layer of smoke that permanently lingers in the air. Meanwhile, Erick sat on the couch, dazed and confused, after having induced the last four pills of Mescaline we bought not too long ago.

"Hey.... Erick, man. come on! We gotta do something about this bill. They're gonna cut off the electricity again."

That was enough to partially snap him back into reality and take the bill from my hand. For a while he seemed confounded, struggling to decipher the glyphs contained in the paper in his hazy stupor. After some time he muttered some comprehensible, apparently giving up and retreating to his previous position..."

That was my editing... Like i said, the story itself is good but the writing style can be worked on a little bit to make it more fluent and for a lack of a better word, sophisticated.

Last edited by evening_crow at Dec 8, 2008,
Would like to read it, so if I PM you my address can you send it to me please? It's a while since I've tried to write a huge chunk of anything, last tie I did it just flowed out for a while, got a good page number, then had major writer's block. When I get block I try to just write random bits of crap, unrelated to the story that I might be writing, and just doodle down a few random stories, and that usually helps to clear things up. Then as I start writing stuff, I come across things and I think 'hey, that'd be really good in this', so I go and put it into the first story, and that tends to get the proverbial juices flowing again.

Long post, sorry! But with regards the character development, it's difficult to give any sort of generic way of developing, I think writers deal with it in different ways, but I fiind thinking of different ways characters could treat a situation can help, see the different viewpoints they might have on it, etc, can help. And, without meaning to sound like I think I know what I'm talking about, don't use too many big words! It can sound a little like you're trying too hard. It sounds a bit unnatural perhaps, but thinking about the meaning of the words, and trying to use the best word for each sentence, instead of using random ones that have something sightly to do with what you're trying to get across, can make the whole thing flow better I think. But as I said, I'm not sure I'm one to talk, and in the end, if you're only writing to please yourself, it doesn't matter too much!

Sorry for sillyly long post, look forward to reading what you've got so far!
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
Quote by evening_crow
That was my editing... Like i said, the story itself is good but the writing style can be worked on a little bit to make it more fluent and for a lack of a better word, sophisticated.

Ah, I see what you're saying now.

Thank you. I'll definitely work on it.

So far no one else had said anything. Man, did it suck that bad?