Page 1 of 2
I'm sure his contract with Dean allows him to use other guitars.

James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett are endorsed by ESP, but use Gibson Les Pauls and Flying V's as well. Kirk uses a Jackson Rhoads sometimes (looks awesome).
Quote by Brownie2
I'm sure his contract with Dean allows him to use other guitars.

James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett are endorsed by ESP, but use Gibson Les Pauls and Flying V's as well. Kirk uses a Jackson Rhoads sometimes (looks awesome).

ahhhh thats true
They usually aren't tied down to using those guitars only unless it's stated in the contract.
As Brownie said, Kirk is a perfect example, I've seen him using V's, R's & much more.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I am sure they have some sort of non-exclusivity clause for their shows. I saw Metallica last week and Kirk plays a Gibson Flying V on some of the songs, even though he's endorsed by ESP.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
It's all about Hetfields custom explorer that thing is saweet!

But yeah i think it's to do with endorsement because on the flipside I've never seen John Petrucci use any other guitar than his signature since he has been with Music Man
come on, they can't sue him for playing a guitar,.

and just because he has a signature line doesn't mean he has to use it all the time, if ever....
Dimebag never used Dimebuckers, for example
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Dimebag did use Dimebuckers. They were in some of his deans. Zakk was told by Gibson to stop playing a dean that Dime gave him or his contract would be dropped.
^ Leave it to Gibson to be jerks like that.

Deans are awesome guitars. I'm sure most companies aren't too strick on the playing of other guitars by their endorsed artists.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Matt "Hump 'Em and Dump 'Em" Heafy strikes again.

He's used (and endorsed) various guitars and pickups, and usually doesn't use them for a specific time.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
This whole signature guitar thing is getting out of hand. Does matt heafy even deserve to have a signature guitar? i dont think so! I dont think anybody really does. I mean its fine to have a custom guitar built to your specs, but for the companies to put them out and market them is just lame. Just like those A7X guys, I cant beleive Schecter sells those guitars. I would be embarrased to own one. And that Herman Li guy, well he should have a signature guitar hero controller, not an Ibanez.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
And that Herman Li guy, well he should have a signature guitar hero controller, not an Ibanez.

I actually lol'd
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

matt suited the les paul better anyway
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by JagStang5246
Dimebag did use Dimebuckers. They were in some of his deans. Zakk was told by Gibson to stop playing a dean that Dime gave him or his contract would be dropped.

Dime used Bill Lawrence pickups...most of the time you see him playing a Dean guitar with a dimebucker in it...its not his stage guitar...

And yes Gibson is lame for doing that...
Quote by eyebanez333
And yes Gibson is lame for doing that...
No they aren't. He'd signed a bit of paper and was happily cashing cheques having agreed to only play their guitars. It's not unreasonable to expect someone to stick to a contract.
Quote by smb
No they aren't. He'd signed a bit of paper and was happily cashing cheques having agreed to only play their guitars. It's not unreasonable to expect someone to stick to a contract.

I agree for the most part. Based on the circumstances, I still think its lame of them. He plays it for one song to pay tribute and then goes back to a Gibson guitar. I just don't think its something to get one's panties into a bunch about. Gibson will keep selling their guitars at the same pace regardless...unless the economy continues to go down the chutes
If he'd wanted to amend the contract to allow him to do that, it's straightforward enough to call someone and discuss it. You can't just decide to ignore the terms of a deal, keep banking the money and expect the other party to be happy with that.
trivium left dean . . . thus he can use whatever the hell he wants
Equipment:
PRS SE custom Cherryburst
dean razorback V (green/black) currently on ebay
Digitech Death metal pedal [wanting to sell - £15]
Zoom G1X [wanting to sell - £25]
Line6 UX1 (with metal shop add on)
It's said that they also had complaints with Dean. I know Matt smashed one a while ago and a headstock or something broke off another one. Leaving Dean was a good choice for both of them. Wondering if Cory's gonna be using Jackson again.
Quote by caraluzzo
It's said that they also had complaints with Dean. I know Matt smashed one a while ago and a headstock or something broke off another one. Leaving Dean was a good choice for both of them. Wondering if Cory's gonna be using Jackson again.

Source?
I didn't know Trivium left Dean. Can anyone find something official on this?

Dean is pretty lenient on their endorsement deals. I know I don't have the same regulations to follow as Trivium does, but pretty much shred on their **** and get free guitars from Dean. Sounds good to me
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by caraluzzo

Stills from the new video show Corey using a Jackson V again and there have been some rumours of Heafy being involved with ESP (DBZ have also been mentioned in connection with Matt although really, both are just rumour at this point)

From what I understand of it Matt and Corey we're unhappy with the sigs Dean eventually made for them, several specs weren't met such as the size of Matt's guitar. He wanted it bigger but Dean refused.

So, when their contract was up they decided not to re-new them and left Dean.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Jan 23, 2009,
The source is other forums I'm on. Both Matt and Corey were having quality issues with Dean guitars. After Matt's headstock snapped and Coreys cracked they left, I would too. They both have places to go but they're not saying anything. I know Corey is in the process of having talking to companys trying to get a new sig.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
This whole signature guitar thing is getting out of hand. Does matt heafy even deserve to have a signature guitar? i dont think so! I dont think anybody really does. I mean its fine to have a custom guitar built to your specs, but for the companies to put them out and market them is just lame. Just like those A7X guys, I cant beleive Schecter sells those guitars. I would be embarrased to own one. And that Herman Li guy, well he should have a signature guitar hero controller, not an Ibanez.

The reality is that signature products (including guitars, amps, pedals, straps, etc.) aren't made because anybody 'deserves' them, but because they can sell, usually at a premium, to fanboys. It's pretty insulting that manufacturers think guitarists will fork out for a slightly different looking version of the same product, but it's the truth.

Also lulz on the Herman Li aside.
Quote by sXe170
Source?

sevenstring.org, Dean forum, Trivium thread on the Hardcore subforum, and the fact that they put tape on their headstocks to cover the Dean logo lead me to believe so.
Quote by mrbungle50221
matt suited the les paul better anyway

Not with long hair imo.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jan 23, 2009,
well ya want a source of matts breaking?
Trivium - Matt broke his guitar head...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tFQV8Rprlg&feature=email

and in the video corey comments on how ****ty dean is. and here is another source. go to Jackson's official website under artists... or here is link...*** JUST SCROLL DOWN TO LETTER T...

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/artists/

at this point looks like their or at least corey is a Jackson artist, not a signature artist. but i can see that changing. and anyways Jackson ****ing own. lol love my custom shop KE2 Kelly w/ red snake skin lol
Last edited by brendanb36 at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by MustangSVT
I am sure they have some sort of non-exclusivity clause for their shows. I saw Metallica last week and Kirk plays a Gibson Flying V on some of the songs, even though he's endorsed by ESP.

Potentially not true! On the cover of TotalGuitar (or another Geetar mag) a while back there was a Hetfield/Hammett photo, with What looked like Kirk's Flying V. It had ESP written on the headstock. Needless to say my chin was stroked in a thoughtful manner.

On topic: Heafy's contract would definitely let him use other guitars for songs, otherwise hed have 3/4 Sig. Deans in different tunings waiting oin the wings for use. Imagine the confusion there... he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Trivium DID leave did, a while ago infact. I'm on the TriviumWorld fanclub and they've both been talking about it for ages. Matt's been using Gibsons again since December.
Corey has been playing Jackson, DBZ and ESP, he's not decided what he wants yet.

They're free to play what they want.
RULE BRITANNIA
Yeah Matt and Corey left Dean, i was speaking to Corey awhile ago.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote Corey on TW:

"I have an alexi model at home they sent me didnt bring it.. esp really wants me to join so i would do my own sig line and possibly a 7 string as well.. remodel my dean make it better.. but whoever i go with would have to do that haha"
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by IPlaySchecter

I'm gonna sig on the end part on what you said about Herman Li.
They both left because the quality of Dean is **** and Dean left himself.

Matt has decided to go with Gibson but we are not sure with Corey yet.

Ibanez S2170 Purple Chameleon finish
Vintage SG
Roland Microcube
Digitech overdrive
Digitech HEAVY METAL
Dunlop Crybaby
Yeah Corey's been pretty vocal about his opinion of the quality of Dean guitars. After Matt's guitar broke he said "Has anyone got another guitar, since Dean guitars are made of fucking crap?"

It makes me kinda nervous because I have a Dean VMNT. Guess I just wont be knocking it over haha.

And FYI my band supported them at that very gig. Click the link in my sig if you give a crap
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey

Corey might be going ESP

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Corey might be going ESP

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Quote Corey on TW:

"I have an alexi model at home they sent me didnt bring it.. esp really wants me to join so i would do my own sig line and possibly a 7 string as well.. remodel my dean make it better.. but whoever i go with would have to do that haha"

Bear in mind he says they want him - he's also close to Dean B Zelinsky and Dean wants to make Corey guitars as well.
RULE BRITANNIA
So you guys are saying Matt is going to keep playing his Gibbys? What's he gonna do for the 7 string songs?
Quote by caraluzzo
So you guys are saying Matt is going to keep playing his Gibbys? What's he gonna do for the 7 string songs?

Use his Deans until they all crap out on him... then he'll switch to Ibanez.
Nah, actually I think he'll get a custom Gibson Explorer 7, that's what I heard anyways.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
The Custom Explorer 7 sounds bitchin, but I'm not sure they'll make it.

Yeah, I'm not so sure either. It's only hearsay anyways.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Page 1 of 2