Page 1 of 4
So basically this thread is about how the musical ability of a band has improved/progressed. Which bands stand out to you guys as having advanced alot since their early days.

Ill probly get flamed for this but i think Trivium have progressed alot since their first album Ember to Inferno to Shogun. If you listen to the the guitar work in both these albums you can see how much more technical they have become. In their first album the solo's basically all used the same scales and the riffs were so much simpler.
Also if you listen to matt's singing his vocal range is far more than it used to be.
Just my opinion which i am entitled to.

So yeah, which bands stand out to you as a band which has really progressed?

ALSO, While i think of it might as well add to it,
Which band do you think has just well...turned to crap.
The most stand out band for me like this is Metallica...they just suck these days
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Last edited by xblack_sabbathx at Dec 8, 2008,
Most of them, to be honest. Bathory's is notable though.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
Most of them, to be honest. Bathory's is notable though.

Most bands? Lol, so Emmure have then?
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
nightwish, with the addition of a new bassist/male vocalist in 2002 the music changed alot for the better. not going to mention the new vocalist. its the same but less operatic IMO
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
*Pulls out flameshield*

Metallica has really progressed (Not necesscarily for the better).

They went

Heavy Garage Band --> Mainstream Metal ---> ****ing sellouts

Where did they go wrong...
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Radiohead
Started off as a **** grunge rock band, and now they are a freakin' amazing experimental alternative band
/thread
Quotes from other UGers in your signatures that talk about how good you are suck donkey schlong.
Quote by hendrixftw
*Pulls out flameshield*

They went

Everything after AJFA is complete bollocks.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Quote by TheBabySnatcher

More Garage INC for me then...
Bayside.

Their first EP was straight-up punk styled, Then as their albums went on the lyrics and melody's got better, and the guitar solos got better and better.
Quote by TheBabySnatcher

not true, i actually liked the black album and st. anger was actually good for me *takes the flameshield fro mthe other guy*
I think AFI progressed a lot. . .particularly the difference between Art of Drowning and Sing the Sorrow

Now please nobody mention Decemberunderground.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Quote by nodice182
I think AFI progressed a lot. . .particularly the difference between Art of Drowning and Sing the Sorrow

Now please nobody mention Decemberunderground.

decemberunderground!!!! hell yeah!!! xD
Quote by hendrixftw
*Pulls out flameshield*

They went

They got rid of Dave, the only one that can write a proper riff.
For somebody who kind of moved in a bad direction, MCR. Their first album was a cool, raw almost-but- not-quite-post-hardcore kind of thing with not a lot sounding like it. Their second album was cleaner, with better guitar parts, and a TON of energy and spirit

...Then came The Black Parade....why oh why did the Black Parade come? Ray's solos may have gotten better...but everything else went to hell.
Edguy, from cover band that record amateour albums to professional bands with complex songs and beautiful lyrics.
Judas Priest, IMO of course. They're guitar solos mainly have gotten alot more technical and shreddy since their early stuff.
Hello
Behemoth...although I enjoyed Sventevith a lot I think overall they're much better now.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

well i know i'll get flamed for this. a lot.

but i think my chemical romance progressed a lot. Bob got more inventive on the drums and ray and frank definitely got better as guitarists.

TBP wasn't my favourite album but technically it's the best so far.

EDIT: Just saw this:

Quote by NemX162
For somebody who kind of moved in a bad direction, MCR. Their first album was a cool, raw almost-but- not-quite-post-hardcore kind of thing with not a lot sounding like it. Their second album was cleaner, with better guitar parts, and a TON of energy and spirit

...Then came The Black Parade....why oh why did the Black Parade come? Ray's solos may have gotten better...but everything else went to hell.

Well that's an opinion, but i will say an opinion shared by many many people. To be honest I didn't find the black parade as bad as most people did, but three cheers is my favourite album. I think it's good they moved in that direction and are now moving completely away from it, it's gotten it out of the way and they've probably learnt a lot from it.
Last edited by NOSPI at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by NOSPI
well i know i'll get flamed for this. a lot.

but i think my chemical romance progressed a lot. Bob got more inventive on the drums and ray and frank definitely got better as guitarists.

TBP wasn't my favourite album but technically it's the best so far.

They played their instruments better, but I think it was an awful direction for the band to take...
The Beatles and Radiohead both progessed musically, not just that they got better, but also that they evolved, changed their sound and began to experiment more; both bands have definite eras.

Also, Thrice have come along way from their emoish roots.
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by NemX162
They played their instruments better, but I think it was an awful direction for the band to take...

Yeah a lot of people think it was. As i said before, maybe it's good they did their experimenting and can now move off in another direction. I'm hoping their next album is more of the punk-rock they said it would be.

I think a band who has definitely.. changed.. Guns N' Roses.

There's a good reason they've changed though. It isn't Guns N' Roses anymore. It's Axl N' Co. But their new album isn't too bad after a few listens. I definitely expected more after however many years its been now, but it's not too bad.

To be honest, some of the production sounds dodgy. Like it was done in a home studio by an amateur, especially with Axl's dual layer vocals, with the high and low pitched voices. They clash, and don't work very well together. Whether that's the producer, audio engineer or Axl's fault i don't know.

But i'm getting off topic now.
Quote by NemX162

+1000. I just hope their next album is back to the old stuff (not I'm Not Okay pop either).

Also, IMO Disturbed really improved from Believe to Ten Thousand Fists, and again from TTF to Indestructible. Now they actually sound more like a metal band.

I'm not gonna bother with a flameshield cause I'll just piss on all you fanboy flames.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by rcw110131
Between the Buried and Me

**** oath man.. i was gonna say them but you beat me haha..

theyve always been so fantastic with the music.. but tommys singing has improved MAJORLEY and the guitaring/drumming/bass has always been awsome.. but all have improved too..

Colors.. is by far one of the most creative, talanted and EPIC albums of this generation.
protest the hero.
Just listen to a calculated use of sound, and then listen to something off fortress.
Everyone in the band has improved a hell of a lot since the beginning

Also +1 to BTBAM
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
protest the hero.
Just listen to a calculated use of sound, and then listen to something off fortress.
Everyone in the band has improved a hell of a lot since the beginning

Also +1 to BTBAM

or even if you can get a hold of something from before a calculated use of sound... Roady's voice has improved so so much
Mastodon - Brutal sludge metal with awesome accoustic instrumentals to more awesome progressive stuff with amazing lead work. And still awesome accoustic instrumentals

Meshuggah - Not quite sure how to describe it, but they've definitly progressed.
Page 1 of 4