http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7767192.stm

Further proof that religion holds back science.

The article doesnt say it explicitly, but its pretty obvious that those who hold strong religious beliefs are anti science.

Jeez, when will the day come when people stop using their religion to hinder good science. Case in point: Stem cell research.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
More like science holds back religion, AMIRITE? LOLOL

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Wtf do they have against nanotechnology?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
When will science nuts stop trampling on people's religious beliefs? I don't necessarily believe that they do, however such matters are far too personal to simplify to the level that you have. Some people will never accept that the Earth is in fact much older than 6000 years old. Some people will never believe in miracles

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by Low_End_Rocker
When will science nuts stop trampling on people's religious beliefs? I don't necessarily believe that they do, however such matters are far too personal to simplify to the level that you have. Some people will never accept that the Earth is in fact much older than 6000 years old. Some people will never believe in miracles

If by trampling on people's religious beliefs you mean finding the truth then I'm afraid science won't, after all finding truth is the reason for science.
Quote by Kensai

I know... I was like "Huh!?" Ignorance ftl.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Low_End_Rocker
When will science nuts stop trampling on people's religious beliefs?

I don't know if you're being serious or not (this is the pit after all :P) but THANK YOU! I'm not particularly religious, I've got nothing against nanotechnology and all that, but it really annoys me when this kind of thing is brought up as if ALL religious people are fanatically against science
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by Guitardude19
I know... I was like "Huh!?" Ignorance ftl.

I think that - very much like everything else - fundamentalist get taught incorrect information about things, then get told to be against it.

Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
I don't know if you're being serious or not (this is the pit after all :P) but THANK YOU! I'm not particularly religious, I've got nothing against nanotechnology and all that, but it really annoys me when this kind of thing is brought up as if ALL religious people are fanatically against science

No such thing is implied. It merely states that the more religious a country it, the more likely it is to reject nanotechnology.
Eh, that's kinda strange. I'd say that this report is too vary. The people who are actually against nanotechnology because of religious reasons are probably a minority which is so small that it's no use talking about. Most likely just some crazy fundamentals that make non-fundamentalist religious people look like idiots now, too.

Quote by Kensai
No such thing is implied. It merely states that the more religious a country it, the more likely it is to reject nanotechnology.

+1
People, READ the damn article before commenting and making baseless assumptions.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by Kensai

I was talking more about the kind of attitudes I've found in places like this. And I think TS said something about it being pretty obvious that those with strong religious beliefs hold back science. This may be true of some, but in general it's bull****.

EDIT: And thank you, I DID read the article, my point just wasn't made very well.
Quote by Jackal58

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
I was talking more about the kind of attitudes I've found in places like this. And I think TS said something about it being pretty obvious that those with strong religious beliefs hold back science. This may be true of some, but in general it's bull****.

EDIT: And thank you, I DID read the article, my point just wasn't made very well.

It's true that those attitudes are common here, being predominantly atheist and populated by militant teenagers who think they're tr00 p0nx reb3ls rejecting god.

I think fundamentalists are always in the way of progress. It's not the dark ages anymore.

And it's important to separate fundamentalists from normal, religious people.
Quote by Kensai
It's true that those attitudes are common here, being predominantly atheist and populated by militant teenagers who think they're tr00 p0nx reb3ls rejecting god.

I think fundamentalists are always in the way of progress. It's not the dark ages anymore.

Agreed
Quote by Jackal58

Quote by Kilty Boxers
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha

Yeah, I was being serious. Look, I actually do believe that science is right, and am an evolutionist, but I get really sick of people generalising about whole groups of people. Yes, some religious people will argue facts until they are blue in the face. Other religious people blow up trains. Does this mean that all religious people are like this? No, it does not. So go easy on them

edit: Would like to point out, I have read the article. I'm not talking about the article, I am simply saying that I don't agree with the attitude of lumping people in together

Sanity is not statistical
Last edited by Low_End_Rocker at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
More like science holds back religion, AMIRITE? LOLOL

yoursorite
Quote by steven seagull
Everytime you feel your attention waning go the mirror and say outloud to yourself...
"I am Rockasaurus Sex...I have the most awesome username in existence and I will ROCK!"
I couldn't find what they're using the nano technology for.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by Kensai

Very important indeed.

My father's a religious man, good man and all, and he wouldn't be against nanotechnology seeing it could be a good means to help people, eventually.

Personally I prefer the kind of religious person that believes for himself, and doesn't go flaunting with his Love of God (people like that usually seemed to judge me over every word I said ^^').
I've also found that people that believe in God for themselves are also in general more accepting of all kinds of things, so I don't really think this article is far off.

I wonder though, how many people here are against nanotech? And how many of those are religious?
Quote by Kensai

We're playing god... By creating really small computers.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by 0RI0N
I couldn't find what they're using the nano technology for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nanotechnology_applications

that's current uses only though, I think. Can't really be bothered to read it atm.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
nano technology could extend the human lifespan to extraordinarily long lengths. The bible says that god decreed that no one would be allowed to live passed one hundred and twenty years of age, so maybe that is why some religious people are against it.
People were asked about their views on a range of subjects, including risk from the internet, genetically modified food, nuclear power and mad cow disease.

Broadly, if they thought these were risky, they thought nanotechnology was too.

HA HA Why is Mad Cow Disease lumped in there? I can see it now . . . Do you think the internet is dangerous? How about Mad Cow Disease? . . . Hmmm yeah the interenet, crazy dangerous. Mad Cow Disease? Nah no big deal. . . . lol.