Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could answer some basic questions I have. I wanted to play guitar (mostly electric) but also wanted a guitar that doesn't need to be plugged in.

I bought an Ibanez Montage, but perhaps I was mistaken.

1. Do all Acoustic-Electrics only play acoustic when not plugged in? I was under the impression it could play all of it's sounds unplugged.

2. Does the onboard tuner only work when plugged in? The one on my new Ibanez does not seem to "turn on". I haven't bought an amp yet.

If the what I suspect is true, I guess I will have to pick up an amp. If that's the case, what is a good portable and possibly battery operated amp I could use?

Thanks all!
The only way the guitar can make any sound when its not plugged in is by the vibrations from the strings being amplified inside the body - so yes it will only sound like an acoustic without an amp. When you plug your guitar into an amp, the pickups transfer the vibration from the strings to the amp, and you can use the pickup selector and the effects in your amp to get different sounds.

I'm still a newb myself so not going to even attempt to recommend an amp - but try the search bar, there are loads of threads on what amp to buy already
I do not recommend a battery-powered mini-amp as your first one. You can get a small one but a mini one probably wont suit your needs. However, if you are completely sure that you want a mini-amp, you could for example get a Roland Micro Cube, they should be battery-powered.

About the sound unplugged or plugged in:
How the **** do you think an acoustic guitar would sound anything but acoustic when not plugged in!?
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by MKZ
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could answer some basic questions I have. I wanted to play guitar (mostly electric) but also wanted a guitar that doesn't need to be plugged in.

I bought an Ibanez Montage, but perhaps I was mistaken.

1. Do all Acoustic-Electrics only play acoustic when not plugged in? I was under the impression it could play all of it's sounds unplugged.

2. Does the onboard tuner only work when plugged in? The one on my new Ibanez does not seem to "turn on". I haven't bought an amp yet.

If the what I suspect is true, I guess I will have to pick up an amp. If that's the case, what is a good portable and possibly battery operated amp I could use?

Thanks all!

1. All acoustic-electric guitars can be played unplugged, best of both worlds

2. Not familiar with this guitar model, but maybe the tuner is powered by a battery
1. Acoustic/Electrics can't play electric unless plugged into an amp. When you plug it in, it'll sound like electric coming from the amp, but you might still hear some acoustic playing coming from the guitar. So when you plug it in, it doesnt stop the acoustic noise coming the guitar.

Well, actually I've heard on some guitars, there's a speaker built in, but I'm almost positive that that's only on electrics.

2. It shouldn't have to be plugged in, it probably runs on batteries if its built into the guitar, so check the batteries.

3. I would recommend to NOT get a battery powered amp, I was watching this guy test the Roland Micro Cube, and he had a mic up to the speaker on the amp, so it probably sounds like crud when you turn it up even a little. I would recommend to get a nice combo that plugs in, you'll get a better sound and be able to turn it up loud. Like they would be good if you played on the street and had to keep moving around, but they'll never get loud enough for even a small gig.
Quote by Luigiman124

3. I would recommend to NOT get a battery powered amp, I was watching this guy test the Roland Micro Cube, and he had a mic up to the speaker on the amp, so it probably sounds like crud when you turn it up even a little. I would recommend to get a nice combo that plugs in, you'll get a better sound and be able to turn it up loud. Like they would be good if you played on the street and had to keep moving around, but they'll never get loud enough for even a small gig.

are you sure he wasn't recording or micing his amp to be amplified by PA system?
There are some guitars with amps...
Then there's the lovely .
Quote by J.Bass.M

I don't care about the f***ing radius of the f***ing inlay.
The onboard tuner and pre-amp only works with the battery installed. It's probably a 9volt. To get the tuner to turn on, it usually requires you HOLD down the tuner button for a couple seconds until it lights up.