Hi ....

I've been learning a little bit keyboard lately ...
I noticed that on the keyboard .... notes have different numbers associated with
them depending on the octave like C3 ...C5 etc...

So i was trying to map out the same thing on the guitar neck ....but have no clue where to start ....So I guess what Im trying to ask is ...on the guitar neck

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4753/guitarnecknotesqy6.gif

which C note can be considered as C1 and which one can be considered the highest C octave ....also ..how do you ascend from one note to the next note ? ...

For example : If i was to consider the C on the Low E (10th fret) as the lowest C ...
which one would be the next ? would it be the one on the A string ? (3rd fret) ?
Quote by inlovewithmusic
For example : If i was to consider the C on the Low E (10th fret) as the lowest C
Low E-string 10th fret is D.
Quote by ChrisN
Low E-string 10th fret is D.

true

anyway, from my knowledge thats a C4(no pun :p next one(C5) is an octave higher so the first on B the 5th on G , the 10th on D and so on...next one is also an octave higher so the 10th of the high E string(C6)
C4 is usually considered as the middle C. And the in the guitar finger board this so called middle C is situated on the 3rd fret of the A string, which is the same sound as the C on the 8th fret of the low E string.

And an octave higher C after the middle C is situated on the first fret of the B string. Which is same as the 10 fret of D string and the 5th fret of G string.

And another octave above that C is on the 8th fret of the high E string, which is the same sound as the 13th fret on the B string.

So in EADGBE stardard tunning there are only 4Cs (which are C4 C5, C6 and C7), and the fourth C is on the 20th fret of the high E string.
Last edited by YA89 at Dec 8, 2008,
I'm pretty sure middle C is the 3rd fret of the A string.

As for the other part...?

10th fret of low E is a D. The first C on the low E string is at the 8th fret and it should be enharmonic with the 3rd fret of the A string....

The guitar is pretty unique in its tuning. It's not linear like a piano. I think there are only 3 octaves of the C scale (could be wrong)...

edit: yes I was wrong - there are 4 C's.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Dec 8, 2008,
sorry but the C3 is in 1st fret B string. that's because the guitar is a transposing instrument, so you play what is written an octave higher than what you'd play in say, a piano.

at least i think it is like that. i'm sure the C3 is in the B string 1st fret though
o and the 3rd fret on the A string is the same note as the 8th on the E
Frontbassman sucks in the nicest way possible

Kevin and Kelsey 12-03-2007

Quote by RCalisto
sorry but the C3 is in 1st fret B string. that's because the guitar is a transposing instrument, so you play what is written an octave higher than what you'd play in say, a piano.

at least i think it is like that. i'm sure the C3 is in the B string 1st fret though

So - the middle C on a piano would be enharmonic with the A string/3rd fret, but if you were transcribing a song from piano to guitar - you'd use the B string/1st fret as the middle C?

Is that correct? Or are you saying that the B string/1st fret is enharmonic with the middle C on a piano?

(I've never actually sat down and compared them...)
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
that's because the guitar is a transposing instrument, so you play what is written an octave higher than what you'd play in say, a piano.

This. When you see a middle C written on a piano score, the pitch will be that of the first fret B string.

But if you pick up a piece of music for guitar and there is a middle C written on it, you play the third fret A string.

As for the transcribing I'm not really sure.
Quote by Confusius
This. When you see a middle C written on a piano score, the pitch will be that of the first fret B string.

But if you pick up a piece of music for guitar and there is a middle C written on it, you play the third fret A string.

As for the transcribing I'm not really sure.

I get the point ...but is there a reason why its played like that ?

I mean ...that way the guitar would be on a different octave right ?

i guess im confused as to why this is done when you can play a C (the one on the b string) that has the same pitch of that of the middle of a piano
Quote by Guitartist
So - the middle C on a piano would be enharmonic with the A string/3rd fret, but if you were transcribing a song from piano to guitar - you'd use the B string/1st fret as the middle C?

Is that correct? Or are you saying that the B string/1st fret is enharmonic with the middle C on a piano?

(I've never actually sat down and compared them...)

middle C in guitar notation would be the A string 3 fret
but in concert pitch it is B string 1st fret.

this is because of the instrument range. it's quite hard to explain, but that's how it is and matters.
Quote by YA89
C4 is usually considered as the middle C. And the in the guitar finger board this so called middle C is situated on the 3rd fret of the A string, which is the same sound as the C on the 8th fret of the low E string.

And an octave higher C after the middle C is situated on the first fret of the B string. Which is same as the 10 fret of D string and the 5th fret of G string.

And another octave above that C is on the 8th fret of the high E string, which is the same sound as the 13th fret on the B string.

So in EADGBE stardard tunning there are only 4Cs (which are C4 C5, C6 and C7), and the fourth C is on the 20th fret of the high E string.

this is correct
What everyone tried to say in a million words said in one line: guitar is played an octave than is scored.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
The open low-E string is E2. C4 is at the first fret of the second string, but it's notated as if it were C5.
middle C is first fret on the B string.

What you all are forgetting is that the Guitar is writen an octave above how it sounds.
I think we've gotten a thread about this every week for the last two months.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.