Page 1 of 6
Since joining UG I've seen many people saying that Floyd's DSOTM was one of the greatest albums.

Now I just have the feeling that I MUST listen to them, not for being a psychedelia, but for being an avid British Rock fan.
But nothing seems to convince me after listening to the iTunes previews.

Guys, inspire me.
Give me reasons why they are so awesome.
If you don't like it don't bother, it's one of those bands YOU MUST LIKE OR ELSE! like Led Zep, who I don't like, cause they blow.
You don't have to like them just because everyone else does. If you're not inspired to listen to them, don't.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Quote by pak1351
It's a concept album, you can't listen to parts of songs and get a feel for it.

The wall>dsotm anyway

fail.
everyone knows Animals is greater than all.
Quote by nodice182
You don't have to like them just because everyone else does. If you're not inspired to listen to them, don't.

NO, I just have that gut feeling of having a duty to listen to them.
Don't like it, don't listen to it. Simple as that.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You can't listen to a preview. Just go buy/'acquire' an album, listen to it in the dark, and try to focus on the story throughout the album.

Floyd is an acquired taste, that changed my life.
Well you don't have to but i'd say you MUST listen to the full album ALONE at least once in your life.

I hate the beatles but i thought i'll give Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band a listen just because it's nice to be able to give an opinion on it. I'd say you should do the same, don't fret if you don't like it, each to their own.
Don't listen to Pink Floyd if you don't like them. That's why I don't listen to them, because I don't like them (save a few songs here and there).
Quote by add_g
like them or don't, but they have some of the best music.

The least amount of sense I've seen so far today.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by radomu
Since joining UG I've seen many people saying that Floyd's DSOTM was one of the greatest albums.

Now I just have the feeling that I MUST listen to them, not for being a psychedelia, but for being an avid British Rock fan.
But nothing seems to convince me after listening to the iTunes previews.

Guys, inspire me.
Give me reasons why they are so awesome.

David Gilmour- in my opinion- has some of the greatest tone ever recorded. That aside, the songs themselves are very good. It's up to you. If you don't wanna hear them, dont listen.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Quote by dandadog
You can't listen to a preview. Just go buy/'acquire' an album, listen to it in the dark, and try to focus on the story throughout the album.

Floyd is an acquired taste, that changed my life.

Dark Side feels to me like Tommy or Quadrophenia by the Who: the entire album is ordered like a novel

Maybe previews suck...
You need to listen to the whole DSoTM album from start to finish. It's just one of those things you need to experience before you die. :3
Quote by Xiaoxi

it actually makes sense, you can identify that a particular piece of music is by definition, good, whether you like it or not.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
You need to listen to the whole DSoTM album from start to finish. It's just one of those things you need to experience before you die. :3

I think I can do without that one, Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime is better anyway
I must be one of the only people that absolutely hate DSOTM.
Wish You Were Here and Animals are far better.
yo, why no mention of wish you were here. it is imo the #2 album by Pink Floyd. with dark side being #1. c'mon people, think a little.
Quote by JackalUK
I think I can do without that one, Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime is better anyway

I've achieved that one already.
Also, you can't judge progressive rock by previews on iTunes. It's like saying you've read Crime and Punishment after reading a 12 year old's book report on it.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Quote by sleazydan
it actually makes sense, you can identify that a particular piece of music is by definition, good, whether you like it or not.

Not really. I consider their music extremely mediocre. Neither musically inventive nor sonically interesting.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by 'Leviathan'

that good?

I must rent it tomorrow then
Because I said so. That's the only reason you need.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Not really. I consider their music extremely mediocre. Neither musically inventive nor sonically interesting.

Wait, when did we start talking about metal?
Quote by Xiaoxi

+1

I think it's become a fashion to say you like Pink Floyd.
Quote by Xiaoxi

how can you say great gig in the sky is mediocre? although of course it's your opinion...and i respect that.

words that have never been said before in the pit
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by Xiaoxi

why, thank you very much
Quote by Xiaoxi

Your missing the point completely, you've stated that you consider their music to be crap.

However if you understood the album and the technical skill and creativeness that the musicians have achieved then you would understand. Like i mentioned earlier about The Beatles. It is good because it changed music, it was original, they were skillful, the album i mentioned is well produced and well written........ but i don't like them.
Quote by JackalUK
If you don't like it don't bother, it's one of those bands YOU MUST LIKE OR ELSE! like Led Zep, who I don't like, cause they blow.

This

I Hate Zep, I happen to love teh Floyd, but if you really want to listen, I'd say get The Wall or Wish You Were Here, stick it on, turn the lights down, light up a spliff and tune out.

Then come back and tell us what you think (Y)
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Try it, its one of the best albums around. The songs are really well crafted and have lots of really great guitar work. Gilmour's stuff on Time is brillaint and I love hte solo . The song breathe is very relaxing and has a good message about enjoying life while we have it. The great gig in hte sky is epic musically, but I HATE the vocals. I actually usually skip great gig because of the vocals. Us and Them is similar to Breathe as it is a very relaxing song. Brain Damage is got a abit of an eary feel to it then kicks into a nice climax. If you are not sure sample some tracks on youtube and see what you think.

BTW: the Wall will never be better than Dark Side of the Moon, although we have our own opinions.
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
how can you say great gig in the sky is mediocre? although of course it's your opinion...and i respect that.

Because it is? It's completely flat.

I could go on about how Bach is "actual good music by definition" because he employed the most masterful use of polyphony with a perfect balance of technical brilliance and musicality, but that's still completely groundless because some people just don't care about polyphony.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana